Infamous Hip Dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Infamous Hip Dysplasia

Hi,

I have a german shepard, 7 months old. He has bad hip dysplasia and he finds it very hard to get up and run. He is an indoor dog, but I do make sure he gets walked everyday until he has had enough.

Every time he is in pain (he yelps when it’s hurting too much) I massage his back legs and rub his back. I do this even without him asking as it puts him to sleep within 5 seconds. He sleeps in the house and I get up every 2 – 3 hours to check on him and rub his legs. The vet said his hips are really bad. I also work from home so I get to look after him and keep an eye on him the whole time which is great.

He is on Camprieve, Sasha’s Blend, Glucosamine + Chondroitin, multi vitamin and small amounts of Tumeric (helps with inflammation) and homeopathic remedies. He has only been on the meds for 1 month. He has a raw diet, raw meat, with cooked rice and soaked pellets with my other dogs.

The medication is helping a bit and the supplements apparently take 3 months to kick it.

Does anyone have any experience with this level of HD and when to start expecting results? How long is enough suffering for a dog?

I never thought that this condition could be so heart wrenching and emotional as I want my dog to be happy and pain free.

Any feedback, experiences shared and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 4 german shepards (from one litter ) and he is the only one with this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

I would seriously consider putting him down. He is not living a quality life going through all of this. I would talk to my vet to determine the degree of the severity, but if it is severe or worse and he is in this much pain now...its not fair to the dog. Ask your vet if it is reasonable to expect him to live a pain free life. If he was 7 years, that's one thing, but to go through an entire life with this pain, is not being done for the dog.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, I have to agree with you, I think I will book a vets app on Monday and get a second opinion. My vet did say to give him a chance. She refused to put him down when I asked her if that is the best option for Gabe. She said to wait and see. We only have one vet on the Island so I can't get a second opinion. But you are right, its not fair to the dog and will discuss again with the vet - Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Have you looked into FHO that may be something to consider instead of his suffering on.... If your vet can do the procedure?

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Is surgery an option? If so, what is the prognosis post surgery?

If he is in constant pain, and surgery for the HD is not an option for him, I would let him go like Cliff said.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I live on a small Island and the vet can not do the operation. Flying him to Australia for the op will be very hard. Customs will make it impossible for Gabe, I have considered this. Gabe seems to be in pain when he has been laying down for too long. But yesterday he bolted out of the house, ran around the house and covered our 2 acre property as if nothing was wrong. He has his moments, but I can't tell if he is always in pain.

I Once tried to get a tick of off his paw and he yelped, it made me wonder whether his pain thresh hold is quite low and that is why he might be so vocal. When the vet normally takes blood from him he yelps as if though he is being abused. So it does make me wonder in how much pain he really is? Its hard to tell.

What is a FHO btw?
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

Supplements should take 3 WEEKS, not 3 months to kick in. The trick is getting the right combo going with the right exercise combo.

Can you get acupuncture where you live or laser therapy?

My dog Massie had severe bilateral HD at under a year. She lived to be just under 12 years old. I did replace one hip (only) when she was 5 years old.

Here's what I would do:

Walk him 3 times a day. Gradually increase the distance. Swim him every day (if possible).

Triple dose of a really good joint supplement (I use Springtime Inc. stuff, others use others with good results)

Work up to 2500mg/day of powdered C. I use Ester C but I think that's a problem for puppies.

Add something like hyaluronic acid or another joint supplement with different ingredients. I found that combining two really helped.

Fish oil capsules.

At night I give the supplement called "Get Up and Go" by Only Natural Pet. It makes a huge difference.

ARe you using the homeopathic remedy Zeel or Traumeel? Or Arnica or what? Those work instantly, no building up in the body.

What are you feeding?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM

I'm with others that say putting him to sleep may be a reasonable option if the vet doesn't think he can live a pain free life. It's going to get worse - not better.

However, you should ask about other drugs that may help. Our 11 year old Golden Retriever developed arthritis that became somewhat incapacitating until we put her on a COX-2 inhibitor called Rimadyl (Carprofen) that's also indicated for HD according to the literature. This a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that made all the difference in the world. It made the difference between her being able to get up and down the stairs or being too sore to move. It definitely made the last 2 years of her life manageable. We ordered it online (though I think we needed a prescription).

FHO = Femoral Hip Ostectomy. It's a last resort surgical procedure. Though it's mostly used in smaller dogs.

Best of luck.

Last edited by CMeredith; 01-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

FHO is sucessful for many dogs, GSD's included when hip replacement is too expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I feed him raw meat, with cooked rice and soaked pellets, I also give him Omega's, and small amount of Olive oil. I give him 3000mg of Vit C a day. Ok, I will increase his joint supplement and mix like you said that is a good idea,

Haven't heard of
hyaluronic acid, but will google it and get it.

No acupuncture. Gabe would also not tolerate it, he screams like child when the vet injects him or take blood.

I like your advice about Zeel, Traumeel, Arnica and Get up and Go, will google that too and order it. It helps knowing that you have seen results with it, because I felt like I was aiming hopelessly at supplements.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page