How much of a dog's grip is Genetic? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How much of a dog's grip is Genetic?

How much of a dog's grip is Genetic? Can it be trained and developed? If it is genetic, does it start to get strong after a certain age or is it always strong from puppyhood?

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Master Member

I was just having this discussion with Ezra's breeder the other day... Its certainly her opinion and I share it that genetics certainly do have an effect on grip. Ezra, just 12 weeks old, already goes for a full deep grip. It is highly noticeable when compared to Abbie's grip.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Master Member

My girl does not have a very strong grip at all. I hope it improves with her Shutzhund training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Genetic and can be affected by training. I could see differences in puppies I've had through the years from the time I got them. Also had a few to train that had no early foundations to develop grip...it was there. I also believe there is relation to temperament as well. And my hardest gripping dogs showed a desire to exercise that grip on their kong, basically akin to a powerlifter loving the most exerting lifts, or a boxer or football player putting their all into the physical effort of their sport. These dogs also showed alot of fight in the work.
Sue

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Yup. Mostly genetic, but can usually be adjusted to some degree through training. I'd say the same goes for a dog who pulls vs pushes into the helper, or the nerve threshold. I supppose a lot of things apply here.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justde View Post
Genetic and can be affected by training. Sue
Very true. Affected by training via positive or negative.

Good training that can cover up issues in the bite and nerve or bad training that can impact bite and nerve.....

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

If the grip is genetic, how much of it is muscle verses mental?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If the grip is genetic, how much of it is muscle verses mental?
That is a good question. In terms of how full a grip is, I think we are talking mainly genetics. Now firmness of a grip I think is also partly genetic, but I beleive it is more mental than muscle. I dog that bites hard does it because he means to bite hard.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Master Member

It is ALL genetic. I have found this out first hand now.
I have a czech dog who is 17 months old and he never had the full, hard deep bites as a puppy. Now through training we have developed full mouth bites but he is still hectic and thrashing. As a pup he never countered automatically. Mainly 1/2 & 3/4 bites. Now in training again, you can help the dog develop it but under stress they will do what is genetic.

Now on the flip side

I have a 14 week old female who has genetically full, strong, calm hard grips. She is 3/4 WGWL and 1/4 czech. When I got her and took her out and played with her, she went for full mouth bites. If I pull away she naturally releases and goes for a full mouth bite, pressure & no feeding is necessary. She is on it like a shark. She is calm and can be cradled and is perfectly fine. This makes things sooo much easier when it comes to training.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

IMO it is all genetic and, baring abuse, can not be ruined through training. Less than full grips can be helped through good training depending on the reasons. If a dog has a poor grip due to nerves than the problems will show up when the dog is put under pressure.

I know people like to claim that full grips are a "sport" thing, but they come from the herding influence of our breed's foundation. A full grip that is hard enough to control and over power the sheep was desired. Chewy or hectic grips would do damage and shallow soft grips would not be enough to control an animal that often had its own mind and far outweighed the dog.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page