What's a Guarantee Worth? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What's a Guarantee Worth?

Almost every breeder's guarantee I have read states that if you show that the dog has HD, ED, or anything genetic, that for reimbursement of any sort or a puppy of equal or lesser value, you must return the dog.

Most everyone I know would pretty much forget about it and live with the vet bills. I think the only ones who would actually return the dog would be people who want a breeding dog, and obviously, a dog with genetic health defects isn't suitable for breeding.

I see all the time that one of the reasons you should get a dog from a reputable breeder is because they health check the parents and should come with a health guarantee if something DOES happen.
What good is a health guarantee if you must return the dog if something comes up? Why not just reimburse the cost of the dog, or part of the cost?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know about almost every. A lot I've read require dog to be fixed but you can keep dog.

Breeders and working dog or sport peoplewould rehome

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sorry - I mean the guarantee states (in almost every one I've read) that for any kind of reimbursement whatsoever, you must return the dog in question.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Knighted Member

Its worth peace of mind. Too me it just says that the seller has some confidence in the quality of what they are breeding. I think many guarantees are pretty weekly worded if you actually read them. They don't really cover much and have out clauses. But too me it just means the breeder is saying they are willing to take a risk on the dog coming back when they sell it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Crowned Member

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Crowned Member

Sinister's contract requires the dog to be given back and I will get a replacement puppy.

I will never sign another contract that says that again.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Most won't reimburse the cost of the dog, they'll replace the puppy. Often because a breeder doesn't have that kind of money lying around, and often because some people will do strange and bad things to rip people off and get their money back. (bribing vets, purposefully causing harm to the dog, etc) There's less of a chance that somebody would do something like that for a replacement puppy, although they still might do it.

The reason many ask for the dog back is so they can know where he'll end up and to try to avoid fraud. I've heard breeders on this site say that they ask for the puppy back in the contract to cover themselves, but if the dog is in a good home that loves him and takes care of him, they'll let him stay there.

My breeder I got Kopper from guarantees he'll pass OFA at two years or I get a replacement puppy. What in the world am I going to do with a 2 year old, a puppy, and a 10 year old? The only way I'd take her up on it would be if she'd take a rain check for far into the future.

I just don't think guarantees are all that important. Pretty sure the US is the only country that has the habit of wanting guarantees on dogs. I don't worry much one way or the other about them, because I don't plan on taking them up on their guarantee, even if they didn't make you return the dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 12-01-2011 at 09:27 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

I think people like them because it makes them feel like the breeder has faith in the dogs they are producing...whether or not that is true...I'm not sure. I did read a contract lately that stated.....if the dog did not pass hips or had another "major" (can't remember what all it included so I said major) they would either give you 1/2 back or give you a puppy at a time in the future of your choosing. It also stated that if you were willing to keep the dog that is what they'd prefer, while still offering that, but if you did not, they would pay for all shipping to have the dog brought back to them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
Sorry - I mean the guarantee states (in almost every one I've read) that for any kind of reimbursement whatsoever, you must return the dog in question.
And what I'm saying is that I've seen quite a few that give you a replacement puppy and allow you to keep your current dog as long as the dog has been altered.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Our breeder gave us two price options... one "AS IS" and another with a guarantee. Because she thinks it is wrong to give the dog back, our contract simply stated if there is an issue, then we get another dog... but we get to keep our boy. Because we would love him regardless, we payed the "as is" price. I love my boy.... with or without HD. I'd never want to give him back and wouldn't think I needed a "replacement dog" if he did have an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page