Feminine and Masculine - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Feminine and Masculine

I know that it's also included in the breed standard that every animal should give "a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex" and secondary sex characteristics should be "strongly marked." Can anyone explain what exactly it is about a dog that makes it look feminine or masculine to them? Also, what are the secondary sex characteristics. They all look gender-neutral to me. Pix might be helpful, if you have any that might be illustrative.

Thanks!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

To me, it's all about the head. IMO a male dog should have a big, wide head, while a bitch head is more refined. I am sure someone will post photos that show you the difference.

It seems the head is the last thing that develops as far as secondary sex characteristics--it takes about 3 years for a dog's head to develop its full masculinity. Dogs that are neutered young tend to have bitchy-looking heads.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Master Member

What Freestep said I think is what they are referring to, primarily. Males are supposed to have pretty strong and marked musculature also, without testosterone that is difficult to develop, that goes along with the "bitchy-looking" heads that he mentioned.

I think wider, broader chests are a factor too. Narrow chest cavities are more common when they are done young.

I don't know of any dog pics that are a really good illustration of this, but if you do a google image search for "geldings" and "stallions" you can see a big difference there. But that is a much larger animal, too. I presume something similar goes on with most mammals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

My male Sage 2yrs old (neutered about 10months of age - also not from a reputable breeder)

He lacks secondary sex characteristics

Compare him to Missy's DDR boy Akbar https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pictures.html
And if you go back and look at her posts, even as a young pup Akbar had strong secondary sex characteristics

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What are the secondary sex characteristics?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...teristics.html
http://www.gsdca.org/Noframes/standard/IllStan1.htm
Some people are breeding solely for the big blocky head...that should not be a reason!
I think the male should look like a male,
but to quote the Captain ~
'Exaggeration is bad in all circumstances'

Kacie, my female has a larger masculine head...as a long coat, its hard to tell she is female.
Karlo has a nice male head, but it isn't blocky whatsoever. I think he is balanced. Onyx is as large as Karlo, but she has a feminine head:Onyx in the back, Karlo in the middle:

** Oversized photo removed by Admin. Please resize to no more than 800X600 as per rule #15 and repost. ***

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by lhczth; 09-07-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: oversized photos, rule #15.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
What are the secondary sex characteristics?
It's anything that distinguishes males from females that is not the, erm...the stuff between their legs.

It's fairly vague criteria, and not always very obvious if you aren't around tons of dogs in your day-to-day job I imagine (it's not always obvious to me). Stuff like musculature, head shape, maybe the size of the chest cavity (not sure on that one though). As far as how you'd specifically define that, as a sort of standard...that much is lost on me =/.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Plus, that first picture of Sage is so cute, I just want to hug him!!

I can see differences between Sage and Akbar, but I guess I've been thinking they're just random differences between individuals, not indicative of gender at all.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

What would you consider the earliest age to neuter and still develop secondary sex characteristics?

Stacey

Zeke (Blackthorn's Nemo, CGC) GSD~6/8/10
Tesla (Blackthorn's Tesla) GSD~2/5/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page