Puppy DNA/Identical twins - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Puppy DNA/Identical twins

I've always wondered how much DNA varies from one littermate to the other? Assuming the same sire for all litter mates.
With human identical twins, if one set has children with another set, their offspring are technically (genetically) brother and sister, not cousins, because their parents have interchangeable DNA.
Do identical twin puppies exist? Has anyone ever even checked for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

Half brothers and sisters... unless the twins share spouses.

Yes. I have thought about that because my father has a twin brother. If some day I need a bone marrow donor... I'll contact my cousins, though with the half sisters my father had been spreading around it should be enough.

Twin puppies does exist. I remember hearing a breeder talking about witnessing them. She didn't need a DNA test because she was assisting the birth and she herself removed both puppies from the same sac.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1

Last edited by Catu; 05-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Elite Member

I don't really know thats a really good question! Probably anything is possible!

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

There is a recent thread going on another board on this subject, I thought it was interesting!

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Same sac they would be identical twins. If you were to study reproduction, you learn when fertilization occurs and cell division starts. Human identical twins are born in the same amniotic sac. One egg divides into two. Some times humans ovulate two eggs and they are fertilized, these are not identical and each has its own sac. I am not positive, but I would think it would be the same in dogs. Same sac, identical. When the chromosomes start dividing and forming pairs they determine characteristics of each pup. I am sure several of those pairs are the same, but not all. The canine has 76 autosomal and 2 sexual chromosomes. When the zygote(first cell) forms at fertilization that is where all the chromosomes already are. If that zygote splits in two you have an identical twin. Unless a mutation occurs after the split.

I am tired and fighting a sinus infection, and rambling. Sorry.

Dawn Brogan

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Elite Member

This is an interesting question, and I have also wondered about it. But I do believe it's possible. My friend has a dog who is a mixed breed, some sort of husky mix- she looks like a mix of husky, greyhound, and gsd if I had to fathom a guess. I saw another dog that was absolutley idenctical to her, which is so strange considering her unique look. EVERYTHING looked the same on this dog, which was also a female. Everything from her build, to coloring, to markings- a very subtle white tip on her tail...to the way it curled and the size and set of her ears-which would be understandable with a purebred dog, but a mix? It was really interesting, and shocking to see!

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
I've always wondered how much DNA varies from one littermate to the other? Assuming the same sire for all litter mates.
With human identical twins, if one set has children with another set, their offspring are technically (genetically) brother and sister, not cousins, because their parents have interchangeable DNA.
Do identical twin puppies exist? Has anyone ever even checked for this?
The biology of siblings is the same whether you're talking about animals that have litters like dogs or animals that have solo offspring like humans usually do.

Regular littermates, assuming the same sire, are genetically the same as a regular brother/sister or fraternal twin. A different sperm/egg pair for each puppy/sibling.

I'm sure identical twin puppies do exist. It would happen the same way it happens with humans: after the egg is fertilized, it splits into two zygotes, creating two genetically identical individuals.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I was more curious about whether or not it was possible for canine eggs to split and survive? I don't see why not, but evidently the canine genome hasn't been mapped out enough to actually prove identical twins exist at all.
I read somewhere that there is another type of twin that's a "half identical" twin where the egg splits and the twins become genetic clones of the mother/father.
I thought it might be interesting for breeders to know if one if their exceptional dogs had a clone around somewhere that could also be bred...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
I read somewhere that there is another type of twin that's a "half identical" twin where the egg splits and the twins become genetic clones of the mother/father.
If I'm understanding what you're talking about, it's not possible, since each egg cell and sperm cell only has half of the parent's genes.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

I did have identical twin pups -- took them out of one sack and took a picture of them on the blanket with a Y shaped umbilical cord still attached . Two points , one to each pups belly twisting together to end up as one cord .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page