Working Line Breeder Question on Temperament - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Working Line Breeder Question on Temperament

For the past 9 1/2 years, whenever someone who "claims" to know a lot about GSDs sees my long stock coat male, I have consistently heard the following comments: (1) long coats generally have a more laid back, calmer temperament, (2) long coats are "thinkers" (3) long coats have a lower prey drive, (4) long coats do not have the temperament for ScH, and generally are not good at agility. I am curious as to whether WL breeders have seen any strong correlation between the long coats and certain temperament traits -- good or bad -- and how these possible traits may relate to different working activities.

KayElle
Mom of
Cheney (LHGSD)
Sable (plush GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe these comments come because you seem to see more showline longcoats?
Not sure.
I have a LC from working lines, and she is not "calm" or "laid back" in the way I think you mean. She has tons of drive, plenty of aggression when warranted, great tracker, and so much prey drive the herding instructor I took her to would not let her off leash. A VERY intense dog.
She is also a super house dog, loves to hang on the sofa and is easy to handle in day-to-day situations.

Last edited by gagsd; 02-17-2011 at 09:25 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

You are somewhat correct -- my dogs are Am SL and some of the people that have made the comments I posted seemed to base their opinions on Am SL knowledge. Others who "claimed" to know all about WL gsds also offered the same kinds of comments. That's why I'm interested in your experience and others on this board for a better perspective on comments I have received.

KayElle
Mom of
Cheney (LHGSD)
Sable (plush GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

gagsd--GORGEOUS GIRL!!!

KayElle
Mom of
Cheney (LHGSD)
Sable (plush GSD)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

I have one as well, and she is very laid back, when chilling in the house and goes from completely relaxed and calm and to spaz'ing out in an instant if I just say a word she likes.

Not good for agility? I don't know that i've owned a more agile dog.

Great obedience, very willing, very loyal, good tracker, great prey drive.

She's not the world's best dog, to anybody but me, but i've worked better and a lot that are at a much lower level interms of temperment, agility and drive. i'd say I have to disagree with pretty much everything these people have said.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

A lot of long-coats--from both show and working lines--do seem to be calmer/mellower. That said, it isn't reliably true--you wouldn't want to pick a long coat just in the hope of it being a calmer dog.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have seen too many long stock coats that are exceptional working dogs to believe that statement. We have a coat in our club and while he is very mellow in his owner's home, he has a ton of drive on the field.

Funny, two of the driviest ASL I have seen were both coats.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I've not noticed any difference in long coats vs stock coats from the same breedings. Some are more mellow, some aren't, but no more nor less than is just the natural variance in any given litter. The only real difference is coat type.

I do think the perception can be they are more mellow just because they are more commonly found in show lines and pet lines, which are more mellow in general. There are also quite a few pet breeders who intentionally breed long coated, often oversized dogs, for the goal of being mellow pets, so since the breeding stock is selected to be mellow, well of course they are, and the proliferation of those types can certainly lead to the perception that long coats are more mellow. But that's a factor of the bloodlines and breeding, not the hair length.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Christine--
Thanks for your comment. I agree that no one should automatically assume a particular temperament from coat or other structural characteristics. I've just always wondered if you, as well as other breeders, have generally found that genetic connection. Would you say that the long coats you have produced can work in dog sports such as agility or ScH?

KayElle
Mom of
Cheney (LHGSD)
Sable (plush GSD)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Chris -- I was hoping you would chime in!!! Thank you! Your response is what I personally believed based on my dogs and others that I have met, but without the years of experience that may of you have, I was very interested in what you thought. Hope you don't mind Chris, I looked at your website early this morning -- did you just have puppies? If so congrats! How do you find the time to respond on this forum, whelp and care for pups, work, take care of other dogs, etc? If you are taking a certain brand of vitamins, please share the name!

KayElle
Mom of
Cheney (LHGSD)
Sable (plush GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page