What other breeds show in my GSD from the shelter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

What other breeds show in my GSD from the shelter?

My wife and I picked up Maximus from a local shelter about two weeks ago. They said he is a German Shepherd that is about a year old. Can anyone tell me what they see based on the pictures (linked below)? We were wondering how much German Shepherd he is and what other breeds he's crossed with. From what I've read so far, it sounds like the DNA tests aren't very accurate.

This is our first dog and we are very excited to learn as much about him as we can.

Note: We have since gotten rid of the rawhide bone. I didn't think it was a big deal but apparently some folks feel very strongly about giving dogs rawhide. We are still learning...

There are more pictures here:
Maximus pictures by jkyoachim - Photobucket

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Looks like mostly, if not all GSD. Is that straight white on his chest? Maybe a little husky? I'm no expert but he looks mostly GSD to me. Congrats either way!

Matrix - DDR GSD 10/1/2008-6/26/2010 RIP girl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bloat/Intestinal Torsion
Chief - DDR GSD 6/14/2010

Last edited by DDR Chief; 11-30-2010 at 02:16 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Master Member

Kinda hard to tell from the one pic? He's only a year? To me IMO his ears look a tad big for being a year old? I'm not trying to insult I am just trying to answer the question. Did they say he was a mix? Now about the rawhide, as long as he's not eating huge chunks, I don't think there is anything wrong with it just keep your eye on him, if he gets a big chunk loose in the bone cut it off and throw it away, try to keep it as hard as possible. I have been wrong before but if it's a quality rawhide I think it's fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

first off, he's a good looking dog. 2nd, i would say besides the GSD he may have some collie in him (guessing from the white chest). And as far as the rawhide goes, really all you need to watch out for is his water intake. My dogs LOVE rawhide and will chew on them all day if we'd let them. If they drink a lot of water after chewing a large portion of rawhide, the rawhide in their stomach swells and can cause a blockage. Drinking a little water is fine but gulping it down isnt.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

He looks like a German Shepherd to me.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Crowned Member

He is probably 2/3 GSD but all that white on his chest and paws comes from another breed, maybe Collie?

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I question his age myself. According to the surrender sheet from the shelter, the previous owners said he was 11 months old but they also said that they had him for 11 months. And I'm pretty sure that they got him from someone else. Which may mean he is 11 months + however old he was when they picked him up. What's the proper age that a puppy would be sold?

There are more pictures when you follow the link below the pic but they aren't the greatest for getting a good look at him. I will try to get some more pics up tonight.
Thanks.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

He's a good looking dog and if it weren't for the white on his chest I'd say all GSD. His face looks all GSD but the white says he must be mixed with something else.

Mum to:

Ellie, GSD -CD GN RE CGC
Koda, GSD -TD CD RN HIC CGC
Zena, GSD, the shelter dog
Snacks, the shelter cat.

Traverse & Kessler

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies normally go to their new homes at 8 weeks old (2 months). BUT some back-yard-breeders will let them go sooner...5, 6, 7 weeks.

Carolina Johnson

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback, we really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page