Suggested Health Testing Sites - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to KLCecil
Suggested Health Testing Sites

Ok so I have a few sites that I have saved in my favorites but I'm not sure which ones that are recomined or if someone has a better suggestion.

Animal DNA Testing Services

OptiGen - homepage headlines - genetic diseases in dogs - canine genetic testing - Ithaca, New York

Veterinary Laboratory | Veterinary DNA Diagnostic Services ? HealthGene Toronto, ON

VetGen - Veterinary Genetic Services

Animal Genetics

~Kimberly Cecil~
Cataclysm von Dagg "Jaina"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I didn't see the OFA site.

www.offa.org
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

What are you looking for? Most of those sites offer nothing in the way of genetic health testing for GSDs. The only health test I see listed on any of them that is really relavant to GSDs is DM, which can be done elsewhere, and many consider to be a somewhat questionable test.

Everything else listed is for incidental things like color and coat, which while I guess there's nothing wrong with someone spending money on if they're really interested, seems like a waste of money to me, and of course has no bearing on health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to KLCecil
hmmm so where should I get DM done and is the test not reliable? I'm looking to get tests done that I can do now; ones that require cheek swabs and or blood samples. Jaina is only 13 weeks but doing all the tests at once can be expensive so I want to spread them out so that it's not such a blow on the bank account.

I'm aware of OFA and CERF. Her eyes have allready been done and she is clear. Hips can't be done tell she is two unless you get prelims.

~Kimberly Cecil~
Cataclysm von Dagg "Jaina"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

OFA does the DM for $65. But there is controversy about the reliability of it for GSD's. If you dont mind spending the money, just get it done and see what the results say.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page