What does a3, a4, a5 mean? (HIPS) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What does a3, a4, a5 mean? (HIPS)

My co-worker just came into my office and said his wife had found a dog online (oh boy) for sale here in Georgia, but the dog's ad says that the dog's hip rating is a4/a5. Is that a foreign hip rating? If so, how do the "a" ratings work?

Is a number proceeding the "a" better if it's higher or lower?

(While I'm pretty sure I know the answer since co-worker just sent me the ad, and I recognize the dog from a former ad posted in which the dog was listed at $3,500 and is now $500, I would like to send him a link to this thread for better clarification on "a" ratings.)

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM

From what I remember, the numbers with a ratings correspond to the German system.

Quote:
The German A stamp: Hip quality rating. Three German ratings, A1, A2, A3, and A6 for a rating on a German Pedigree but done in a foreign country recognized by the SV.
A1: Normal NON deficient hips
A2: Fast Normal. Near normal hips.
A3: Noch Zugelassen. Still allowed for breeding, Fair hips.
A6: Dog's hips rated in a foreign country approved by the SV.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

a4 - is basically mild-moderate
a5 would be considered severe

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
a4 - is basically mild-moderate
a5 would be considered severe
So, if someone said, "hip rating is a4/a5...no hip problems" - that's a big ole NO NO, right?

I just read that a4/a5 are unacceptable by the SV? Does that mean "a" ratings are SV ratings, foreign ratings?

I ask because I'm reading that this dog was purchased at 9 wks old from a well known breeder overseas and has been in the States ever since then. Can an "a" rating be given by OFA or some other domestic system?

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

They are either confused about the hip ratings or the dog is dysplastic.

You can get a dog in the USA 'a' stamped by sending the x-rays to the SV (through one of the GSD organizations over here).

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The dog is advertised as "The dog has a hip rating of HD a4/a5 - (Mildly Dysplastic)...The dog shows no signs of hip problems."

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

There's no such thing as a rating of a4/a5. The dog is either a4 OR a5. There is no combined rating. If this dog was truly rated by the SV, they should know if it's a4 or a5.

If a4, that means the SV grades the dog at mild-moderate HD. a5 means the SV grades the dog at severe HD. Either way the dog *may* not show any symptoms (yet), though that would be more likely with a4 than a5. But with either rating, the dog has HD.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
There's no such thing as a rating of a4/a5. The dog is either a4 OR a5. There is no combined rating. If this dog was truly rated by the SV, they should know if it's a4 or a5.

If a4, that means the SV grades the dog at mild-moderate HD. a5 means the SV grades the dog at severe HD. Either way the dog *may* not show any symptoms (yet), though that would be more likely with a4 than a5. But with either rating, the dog has HD.
Considering the location of where this ad was placed, the fact that the dog was being sold last month for $3,500 with no mention of any hip rating and is now being sold at $500...makes me think the dog is probably a5. The owner is saying "a4/a5" for who knows what reason? Maybe that no one will catch on?

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

Is this for sure the SV a-stamp rating? I've seen ratings from other countries/systems that appear like _/_ or _:_ Where is the ad?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The ad is on kijiji. Who knows what rating it is. The person says "mildly dysplastic" but gives a hip rating of "a4/a5." The dog was purchased from overseas at 9 weeks and has been stateside (in Georgia) ever since.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page