tracking down Bo's papers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

tracking down Bo's papers?

We adopted a 2yr old male GSD. (completely in love!)
We adopted him just as a family pet. he isn't nuetered yet but is going to be this month! he went thru 4 homes in about a 6 week period. From his original to to families that obviously didn't put a lot of thought into adopting a dog let alone a GSD. Finally he has made it to his forever home! I actually have a lot of info on his backround concidering the situation. The 1st owner of Bo was sent to Iraq and his wife was moving in with family for the duration of the deployment. The last thing this women wanted to deal with is her husbands dog so she put him on Craigslist ( I hope he knows)! she said he is papered but they were packed up and didn't know where they they were. The new owners didn't care I guess. I know what town the 1st owner normally lives in and my husband is also in the militarty. The man has to be in the reserves or guard. I know the 2nd owners took him to a vet ( I"M NOT HAPPY WITH!). K, so now my ???s Bo is a cryptorchid. which for a family pet is just fine and like I said is having it taken care of this month by our friend/vet. If this dog is really registered as she said, he should only be partially registered (or something along those lines) right? I guess, I just wonder if I can or should try to track down Bo's info and find out who bred him to let them know just incase they are a responsible breeder so they know not to use the same sire or stud again. Or at least make sure Bo's registration is right. I know it won't matter much for bo at this point, but what about his litter mates? Am I too worried about this? Carter, our Vet said other than the Testicles and a double ear infection that went on way to long due to the other owners and That VET...!! He was a beautiful/great dog and thought we really lucked out! I guess you could say I'm a 3rd generation GSD owner and LOVE this breed. I respect good breeders who keep the bloodline strong! One more thing, Bo doesn't hump...Is that weird? He's got a great dispostion, he's a big guy he was 100# when we got him but we have trimmed him down 10-13 the last few months. and looks great. He's pretty normal as far as energy level and is a fast learner. he's obviously been worked with a lot but still needed some work on coming when called and stay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Re: tracking down Bo's papers?

I don't have anything to say about the papers.

But as for the humping, some do and some don't. Neither of my boys do and they are intact.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Good to know!!!! Thanks! That's funny! I'll assume were lucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Knighted Member

Hello Ambrose, Funny I have a male GSD whose name is Bo and was cryptorchid, I had his neuter done when he was 4 months old and very glad I did it then, while the testicles were still small, have heard scary stories if you wait till their older and it has been sitting in the abdomen for a long time. I don't see anything wrong with getting your dog neutered and It has not changed my dog in any negative way. My Bo also does not hump. That is great you found such a great vet too.
I know of a breeder whose stud dog is perfect quality but has produced males who are crypto and it did not matter other than the males can not be shown in confirmation. I think crypto just happens sometimes but it may not be a reason not to breed the dog. I am no breeder so you will hear from others. Congratulations of your great rescue!!!

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Since you're planning on getting Bo neutered, and if you can't get his AKC papers, you can register him using the AKC - PAL/ILP (Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege).

A dog with an AKC PAL/ILP registration can compete in all AKC venues open to the German Shepherd Dog EXCEPT for the breed conformation ring.
http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If Bo is papered, then he should have either a tatoo, or a microchip, or both. If you don't see a tatoo, have your vet check for a microchip. You should be able to track down his breeder with the tatoo/microchip number if the breeder tatooed and microchiped him, or get owner info if the first owners got him tatooed or microchipped to register him.

You could pursue papers with those contacts.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! all of you have helped! Ugg! I hope Bo does fine in surgery and his other"guy" isn't hiding too well!! I'm going to check out the link for the AKC definatley! I haven't seen a tattoo, It would be in the ear right? where would I look? The micro chip is usually between the shoulder blades right? I ask Just because...I know this is probably dumb but, He has this hard little "thing" Like maybe a "foreign object" or probably most likely cartalage or something. Its inside the upper part of the ear. Just a random?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Tatoo could be in either ear, or sometimes the inner thigh. If he allows that kind of handling, roll him over on his back and spread his legs to check.

Microchip is always implanted in between the shoulder blades, but I have read a lot of stories of it moving - usually down to the side, by the chest area. It woudn't be up by the ears - I would be surprised!! Maybe that is some scar tissue from an old injury? Another thing to ask you vet about.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought. I'm going to give him a check, Bo will be thrilled if I check out his inner thigh:0! He'll be more than willing as long as he's not getting any "tuff actin' tinactin!!!" Thanks I'll check...(HEY BO come here for a sec.!!!!)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

If possible I'd opt for an ultrasound to find the "hider" before starting the surgery - sometimes the undescended testicle can travel far & the dog ends up having major surgery while the vet searches ...
Chances are, Bo will do great with his surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page