Is this dog a sable? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Is this dog a sable?

Is this dog a sable or a blanket black a tan? Can full, dark saddle/blanket but still be a sable? How do you know for sure what the dog is?

Pedigree - mother is sable, father black and tan
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/607108.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Is this dog a sable?

From the look of the abdomen, I say blanket B&T.
We were just discussing this today at the club I was at. Sable will be darker in the underbelly, no breaking in the color pattern.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Crowned Member

whats leading you to believe he could be sable? or are you asking/clarifying for someone else?

i'd say hands down that he's a b/t blanket back... even 'patterned sable' would be too much of a stretch for me.

this is as close to a 'saddle' on a sable that i've seen: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/12476.html

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

This is why we were discussing it at the club:
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/434588.html
From afar I said Tobi could pass as a B & T til you ran your hands thru his coat against the grain.
He is a beautiful red sable (which I knew), and there was discussion after that about pattern,etc. Which then went into bi-color as well...

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

What'd he look like as a puppy? That's the easiest way to tell.

Based on those pictures, I'd say blanket black and tan.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Master Member

Don't get confused between individual sable hair and a sable colored dog. Any color of GSD can have individual sable hair strands, for example, the bitch stripe on B & Ts.
Also, sable colored dogs can sometimes have a saddle pattern or a blanket pattern.
I've always wondered if the pedigree of Timo Berrekasten was accurate since he does not show any sable dogs in 7 generations or more.
Is it possible for sable to suddenly pop up after many many generations of B & Ts?
Or did a sable working line dog jump the fence while momma was in season?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlSable will be darker in the underbelly, no breaking in the color pattern.
I have never heard this before. Can you explain what you mean? I think maybe I don't understand the termanology. Bison is a sable and his belly is the lightest part of his body. You can kinda see from the color of the inside of his right knee.

As mentioned, he is a different color at the base of the fur. (if you pet him backward you can seek it)

Bison on the right.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Crowned Member

Timo was stunning! But, yeah, how'd that happen...

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Crowned Member

The belly can still be lighter, but you'll see the banding in the guardhair thruout, not a solid type light hair. I tend to look at the neck coloring too. Sables usually have that lighter collar area but not always & striping down the center of the neck.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Elite Member

Yes, the belly hair is still two-toned, just very light. He has a very distinctive color line. Thanks for explaining. I am still learning all the termanology.

OP, sorry for the interruption.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page