DM Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

DM Questions

I have been doing a lot of reading on the disease and was wondering what other members think and feel about breeding a DM carrier. Although we have no dogs here with this, but we are concerned about this disease and try to keep up on all the latest news. We have tested our dogs and so far we have had our dogs tests come back clear of DM.

My concern is when you breed a dog that has been found to be a carrier to a non- carrier, what is the chance of producing pups that are found to be carriers. If there is a chance of this happening I would not make a practice of it as we do not want to contribute to the problems that come up in our breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

Re: DM Questions

what is DM???
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadwhat is DM???
Degenerative Myelopathy

It is a very nasty disease which took the life of my girl Kodi several years ago.

my Kodi Bear

Julie

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD
Copper - Beagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Following basic Mendelian genetic principles, you can expect 50% of the puppies to be carriers if you bred a non-carrier to a carrier.

Dianne and Dogs

Blaze SADC SSGDC SAGDC SAADC VMADC VMJDC ExSt Bronze MSCDC, MGDC, MSDC, ATChC, Bronze Award of Merit, Cole, Arlo AD BH TEC SchH2 TD, SG-Eros TEC BH AD TD

Sara, Tess, forever in my heart
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Master Member

DM > http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm

Mikko-GSD- 2008
Wiley-GSD- 2009

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
(Author Unknown)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the link, As for breeding a carrier, this will not happen here due to us not wanting to contribute to the disease.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Crowned Member

Chuck, what DM test(s) have you done?

Sandy

RATCHX2 SG Wisp von Schneiden Fels BH NW1 RA OAP OAJ SWN CZ8B CAA CGCA TKN TC HIC
SG Chase vom Mittelwest II BH
SG Flame von Nummer-Eins CA TKN HIC
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

For what I was told and found out OFA has a DM test Aval. and plan on ordering a few test kits for our dogs. As for right now as far as I know we have no carriers here. But like you all know that could change as the tests begin here.

If DM works the same as EPI does than I would think that if 2 carriers breed there is a better chance to produce a pup that has full blown DM. So far what I did read was that even if you breed a dog that is a carrier you can produce carriers in their offspring.

I was just reading about a member on another forum that I go to that has a carrer in her kennel which was the reason I am starting to ask more about this genetic disease. To me it doesn't make any sense to be breeding a dog that is a known carrier
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

The OFA test is part of the research that U of Missouri is doing, I believe. I'm not familiar with how their results are obtained or how they grade them. However, my Starine has very recently been diagnosed with DM and we did the Flash test from the U of Florida where Dr. Clemmons has been researchuing the disease for 20 + years. These are some of the comments in Star's lab report:

" We do not currently know if the DM Flash test becomes positive before the signs of clinical disease are apparent or if the DM Flash test could indicate a genetic potential to develop DM, we only know that it is abnormal in DM dogs diagnosed by our criteria."

As far as someone who is breeding dogs who suspects that their dogs could pass on DM, even generations from now, I am at a loss for words. I am going through one of the worst times of my life right now since getting Star's diganosis, and I can't fathom any reason to inflict this amount of pain upon anyone else, if it could be prevented.

Sandy

RATCHX2 SG Wisp von Schneiden Fels BH NW1 RA OAP OAJ SWN CZ8B CAA CGCA TKN TC HIC
SG Chase vom Mittelwest II BH
SG Flame von Nummer-Eins CA TKN HIC
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Quote:For what I was told and found out OFA has a DM test Aval. and plan on ordering a few test kits for our dogs. As for right now as far as I know we have no carriers here. But like you all know that could change as the tests begin here.
But how do you know if you haven't tested yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page