What are the odds...color question? Sables...Black - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

What are the odds...color question? Sables...Black

Bred my black sable female to a solid black stud...figure I would get some sable and some black. Did AI ....got 4 solid black pups....NO sables...Odds must be very high against all solid blacks right? Really wanted some sables....

So now I want to breed them again in the future...will I get any sables?

Here is the pedigree information. Drako Atticus Hexe The stud:

On one side it is completely sables 5 generations back. On the other side in the 5th and 6th generation I am seeing a couple solid black.

Dam I bred him to is Nikita Galadriel of Crooked Creek...she is a dark or black sable (has penciling on toes/legs)

Nikita's mother is sable her father black. In Nikita's 1st three generations I am seeing 7 solid blacks in the pedigree so strong prescence of black here.

Will I get sables this time? What are the odds that the first breeding would produce ONLY solid blacks?

Just curious... if you genetic gurus are inside cause it is so HOT out there and you're bored......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

Re: What are the odds...color question? Sables...Black

Yes you can get sables. Sable is the dominant color gene, BUT apparently your female is black recessive so she is the one determining color. If she throws her black color gene, all blacks, throws the sable one, get sables with black recessive.

I have a red sable who carries black. Bred to a bicolor/black recessive, get all 3 colors. I had a litter of 13, 8 were black, last litter of 9? One black, 2 bicolors, 6 sables. Luck of the draw.

So again, your female is the one determining color in this case since the male could only throw black. Eventually she'll throw sable

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Each individual pup has a 50/50 shot of being sable or black. Sometimes the genes just match up that way. Just because you got all blacks in one litter doesn't mean you'll get all blacks in the next. You might get a mix. You might get all sables. It's all in how the genes match up in each individual pup, and as I said with those color genes available, each pup has a 50/50 chance of being either color.

This spring we bred a black female to a sable male who carries black. From a statistical standpoint, we'd have expected half the litter to be black, half sable. Instead we got 8 sables, not one single solid black. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Also don't forget that jerk Murphy and the law he made... which essentially says that you'll get the opposite of whatever you want.

Want blacks? You'll get sables. Want sables? You'll get blacks? Want males? You'll get females. Want females? You'll get males.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

lol, yep

Angela

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hmmm.....funny Chris how you got all the sables and I got all the blacks....

Well I'll cross my fingers that this time the odds will be in favor of some sables.

Thanks

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

OK so I have another stud for her I am considering...he is sable and has only sable 7 generations back...I'll get sable right?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

IF both mother and sire lines for the last few are all sable, probably. Has he been bred before? Look at his progeny. Dogs that only have sable will only produce sable no matter what you breed to. My female Oxana, only sable. So I bred her to a black male, ergo Diesel. Sable/black recessive. Now I get colors other than sable.

Angela

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes I have used him 3 times before with actually Nikita's dam (not Nikita though so not a daughter /father breeding just to clarify) who is a sable. I got sables and black/tans out of those breedings in all the litters.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Then he's not strictly a sable. In order to get the black/tans they both have to carry in order to override a sable gene

Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page