ofa prelim xray (please say what you think) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

ofa prelim xray (please say what you think)

Could you please take a look at this film and tell your opinion? Also I would really like to know if the positioning is good since this is a new vet I used, and he's very expensive. This is a preliminary hip xray taken at 11 months, with the reversible sedation (they gave him a shot and then brought him back to me in 15 min).

There are so many experienced in reading xray people here and I would truly appreciate your input!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: ofa prelim xray (please say what you think)

Positioning is fine. As are the hips. There's a tiny bit of flattening on the R femoral head and it's not as round as ideal, or as round as the L one, but it's seated deep enough in the socket to not be of any major concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Chris, thank you! You made me feel a little better. OFA prelim report came back with mild hip displasia, unilateral pathology right, and they marked subluxation. I felt so bad for my puppy and started looking for any signs of pain or discomfort but I don't see any. I think his hips cause more discomfort to me than to him at this point Is this flattening means the arthritis is already setting in??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Are you submitting to OFA? I agree with Chris that the R femoral head a bit flattened. It's a crap shoot what OFA will say, however.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I don't see anything I'd consider excess sublaxation for a dog of that age. There are some gaps, but that is normal in young dogs before the ligaments tighten, and also normal when a dog is sedated. Still over 50% of the femoral head is in the socket, and I've seen looser hips than those pass OFA. The R femoral head is the concern I have. I'm not good at seeing arthritis on an x-ray so can't say if there's any there or not, but if the femoral head isn't sufficiently round arthritis can develop due to excess wear and tear of moving a square peg in a round hole. I'd say from an OFA standpoint, the hips are on the cusp of what they'd pass and what they wouldn't. So in terms of a potential breeding candidate, the jury is out on what OFA will say at 2 years old and whether they'll change their minds or not.

But Pass or Fail from an OFA standpoint, the important thing is that from the quality of life/ability to work standpoint, the hips are fine. He should never have any problems or need serious intervention.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

The right one does look poor. I don't really see arthritis but then again I have only seen severe arthritis on x-rays so I might not be able to see it if it is mild... My terrier had severe hip dysplasia in one hip with bone chips and arthritis, both the ball and socket were mostly flat.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild But Pass or Fail from an OFA standpoint, the important thing is that from the quality of life/ability to work standpoint, the hips are fine. He should never have any problems or need serious intervention.
Thanks again for the detailed explanation Chris. That's what I wanted to hear because I don't care so much if he can be a breeding prospect (it takes much more than just good hips) but I do care if he can have an active life and be able to work. I do tracking with him and take it seriously, and I wanted to do scootering with him when he's a bit older (dogs pulling me on a scooter).

Displasia is such a dreaded word, and when I recieved the report I was pretty devastated and told my husband that we need to start putting money aside for a THR. I also thought that I would need to limit the excercise and turn him into a couch potato but my vet told me that keeping him in a top physical shape is the best thing that I can do for him. I am going to xray his hips and elbows again in a year.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Chicagocanine, thank you for your input! I hope that his hips won't develop the severe problem, I hope that keeping him lean and giving supplements will help. He's a medium male and probably be only 80lb at the most when mature so it should help his hips too.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

My Cheyenne is mild DH on the left side. Keeping her lean and fit does wonders for her. Early this winter she slipped on the ice, so she hasn't wanted to go out as much plus she did have some soft tissue damage from that, but this is the first time in 7 years that I have seen her limp. I am starting her on supplements and would have earlier but with her extra senstive tummy I was hesitant to add any stress. But she is stable now, so I will just be giving a supplement without Chrondionitn (sp).

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

I am surprised they gave these a fail as well - I have seen worse pass - again, not a radiologist, but they have decent coverage, necks and are pretty decent in position...the spacing in the sockets is not the greatest, but these are far far from the worst hips I have seen.

Start supplements, keep him lean and exercised to build muscle - redo at 2 years to be sure and to see if there are changes.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page