post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Is it ok?

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
BusyIzzyB
Join: 17 minutes ago

4 minutes ago ∑ #1
New Puppy Parent Question
Ok guys I'm a stay at home mom that's home everyday all day long. I get out once a week for 2 hours to go to the grocery store and the rest of the time is spent at home with our puppy.

I don't have a vehicle right now so I can't pick and choose when I get to go places. We recently got a 14 week old puppy named Pepper.

I have the opportunity to get out to a store I can rarely go to. My question here is would it be ok to crate the puppy for a little longer than recommended every once in a very great while?

It would be about 5 hours and I'm worried about leaving her for that long. Would it be ok? I exercise her regularly every other day, she very rarely goes in the crate if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Master Member

Oh boy, what the heck is going on around here. May want to check the IP address of this one mods, JChrest...SeniorGSD...about 10 other usernames...

Maybe I am wrong. OP, you can't just start to crate whenever you choose to go out.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Oh boy, what the heck is going on around here. May want to check the IP address of this one mods, JChrest...SeniorGSD...about 10 other usernames...

Maybe I am wrong. OP, you can't just start to crate whenever you choose to go out.
Ok it was a question from someone that has never had a puppy before.

I was only asking if she'd be ok for one long stretch very, very rarely. I'm not trying to do anything harmful to my dog or be selfish I was simply asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyIzzyB View Post

I was only asking if she'd be ok for one long stretch very, very rarely. I'm not trying to do anything harmful to my dog or be selfish I was simply asking.
Ok, I'm sorry, I will try and be helpful without giving you a lecture. GSD's aren't your average dog. They take a lot of work and training. Specifically on whether your pup can stay in a crate while you go to the grocery store, absolutely. My guy was doing 8 hours no problem at that time. You did mention you she rarely goes in the crate if at all. That part is concerning. You should be crating her even if you are at home and definitely at night. Doing this would ensure you can put her in it and go out with causing her stress. You still can do it, just put her in and run and ignore the crying. She doesn't seem conditioned for crating based on your comments.

Welcome to the forum. We just get random one-post questions from new members who sometimes don't follow up. Spend some time reading up.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Crowned Member

It wonít hurt the dog to be crated while you get out. You should go places when you get the opportunity. Itís good for both of you.
selzer likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Quote:

Ok, I'm sorry, I will try and be helpful without giving you a lecture. GSD's aren't your average dog. They take a lot of work and training. Specifically on whether your pup can stay in a crate while you go to the grocery store, absolutely. My guy was doing 8 hours no problem at that time. You did mention you she rarely goes in the crate if at all. That part is concerning. You should be crating her even if you are at home and definitely at night. Doing this would ensure you can put her in it and go out with causing her stress. You still can do it, just put her in and run and ignore the crying. She doesn't seem conditioned for crating based on your comments.

Welcome to the forum. We just get random one-post questions from new members who sometimes don't follow up. Spend some time reading up.
We did the grocery store once already and she was fine. Went in with no problem and seemed pretty calm. I came back to no accidents. It was only about 2 hours.

As for the crating, no I was trying not to only M in times of necessity. I didn't realize that that was wrong. I was raised that crating was cruel . I did a little reading up on it but I thought that doing research on how to train basic commands, how to work on bite inhibition, and exercise was more important but it sounds like I should focus on this too.

I can't really do it at night. I have a toddler and really thin walls. She'd keep her up all night because she wants to be in n with us in the evening. She'll settle in there for about an hour or two then want out.

Do you think I can be successful with starting with just day t I'm me crating a little at a time like you suggested?

No.I definitely will follow up. I really want to.do best for my pup not only for her well bring but so that I know I can raise a good dog around my family. I'm just a first time owner trying to juggle a 2.5 year old, a puppy, and a h ok household so I just really need some guidance sometimes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Crating is not cruel so long as it is not abused. My guy loves his crate. The door is only closed if he is home alone. When you feed, let him eat in his crate with the door open.
Sabis mom, Sunsilver and Kyrielle like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Master Member

Quote:
We did the grocery store once already and she was fine. Went in with no problem and seemed pretty calm. I came back to no accidents. It was only about 2 hours.

As for the crating, no I was trying not to only M in times of necessity. I didn't realize that that was wrong. I was raised that crating was cruel . I did a little reading up on it but I thought that doing research on how to train basic commands, how to work on bite inhibition, and exercise was more important but it sounds like I should focus on this too.

I can't really do it at night. I have a toddler and really thin walls. She'd keep her up all night because she wants to be in n with us in the evening. She'll settle in there for about an hour or two then want out.

Do you think I can be successful with starting with just day t I'm me crating a little at a time like you suggested?

No.I definitely will follow up. I really want to.do best for my pup not only for her well bring but so that I know I can raise a good dog around my family. I'm just a first time owner trying to juggle a 2.5 year old, a puppy, and a h ok household so I just really need some guidance sometimes.

Ok! You have the right attitude. Crating is not cruel. As I type this my 5 month old pup just went in it by himself to chill. Itís their home and they feel safe in it. Itís also great to give you a break around the house or if you want to get out. I recommended some cheap cameras in your other thread.

Boy do you have your hands full! You are going to get some crap here about not doing your homework before getting a GSD. Itís not too late. Study up!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Master Member

Crating is fine, and keeps the dog (and your house!) safe, but I'd work up to that crated 5 hour stretch...
I wouldn't want my dog to start feeling traumatized for some reason and have a bad experience, and then have anxiety about being crated or left alone.

My dog was first left alone in his first week with us when I went to get the mail and bring out the recycling!
Then, for about 15 minutes...
Then, a dash to grocery store (3o min)
Then, coffee with friends (1 hr)
and then shopping (2-3 hrs)
and now he is up to 5 hrs easily.
Every time I lengthened it, I came home wondering how he did, and he was fine.
It's not his favorite thing to be left behind, but so far he doesn't poop/pee/destroy/howl.

I think the gradual lengthening of time teaches them to not get separation anxiety.
If it's a long outing, I always bring him for a bit of a walk and leave him a stuffed Kong before I leave.

I am lucky because I work from home, so I never have to be gone for like 8.5 hours at one stretch.

( My dog also doesn't need to be crated any more - he is just free in house all day and night -
but he's an older guy (age 8 or older?) who considers himself to be a Human. )
zeyad likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:01 AM

Crate? What crate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page