2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BusyIzzyB 
#1 ·
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
BusyIzzyB
Join: 17 minutes ago

4 minutes ago · #1
New Puppy Parent Question
Ok guys I'm a stay at home mom that's home everyday all day long. I get out once a week for 2 hours to go to the grocery store and the rest of the time is spent at home with our puppy.

I don't have a vehicle right now so I can't pick and choose when I get to go places. We recently got a 14 week old puppy named Pepper.

I have the opportunity to get out to a store I can rarely go to. My question here is would it be ok to crate the puppy for a little longer than recommended every once in a very great while?

It would be about 5 hours and I'm worried about leaving her for that long. Would it be ok? I exercise her regularly every other day, she very rarely goes in the crate if at all.

See less See more
#9 ·
Crating is fine, and keeps the dog (and your house!) safe, but I'd work up to that crated 5 hour stretch...
I wouldn't want my dog to start feeling traumatized for some reason and have a bad experience, and then have anxiety about being crated or left alone.

My dog was first left alone in his first week with us when I went to get the mail and bring out the recycling!
Then, for about 15 minutes...
Then, a dash to grocery store (3o min)
Then, coffee with friends (1 hr)
and then shopping (2-3 hrs)
and now he is up to 5 hrs easily.
Every time I lengthened it, I came home wondering how he did, and he was fine.
It's not his favorite thing to be left behind, but so far he doesn't poop/pee/destroy/howl.

I think the gradual lengthening of time teaches them to not get separation anxiety.
If it's a long outing, I always bring him for a bit of a walk and leave him a stuffed Kong before I leave.

I am lucky because I work from home, so I never have to be gone for like 8.5 hours at one stretch.

( My dog also doesn't need to be crated any more - he is just free in house all day and night -
but he's an older guy (age 8 or older?) who considers himself to be a Human. )

#11 ·
It is good for a dog to understand the crate. My earliest dogs were never crated and at the time I didn't understand what a good tool they can be if used properly (like any other tool). Dogs should at least understand being crated. If they ever have to stay over night at the vet, they will be crated. If they ever fly, they will be crated. If they ever go to a dog show or training event they might be required to be crated. The safest way to travel in a car or truck is to be in a sturdy travel crate.

And it is safer to have a dog in the crate and greet you happily for being home than have a puppy who gets scolded when you come home for destroying things. Just make sure the crate is large enough to be comfortable in and have a good balance of crate time vs exercise and family / work time.

My current dogs we had since 8 weeks old. They both earned their right to be loose in the house while we were gone at around a year old.

#12 ·
Please don’t let people try to put you down for “getting a GSD without researching” or not crating. While maybe you didn’t do as much research as possible you ARE clearly a devoted puppy “parent” and wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have utmost concern for the pups well being. You already are above and beyond in resources for a large majority of people as you are home almost most of the time able to work with the dog. GSDs are not typically couch potatoes but my GSD has been my EASIEST pup to raise and I’ve had all kinds of dogs. They are so smart and willing to please, it makes training a breeze compared to a dog that isn’t so bright or is very smart but, much less biddable. They do need exercise but you don’t have to be a triathlete to wear them out.

I NEVER crate my dogs over night and from the very first night as pups they sleep in bed with me. I sleep lightly and once I feel the slightest stir I will immediately get up and take them outside. I don’t get much sleep in the beginning but it is so worth it with how quickly they pick up house breaking and also to solidify our new forming bond.

That being said, it is good to have them trained to be crated. A peanut butter filled frozen Kong did wonders for mine.

#13 ·
Thank you everyone for your great advice. We are working on crate training in little sports. She's actually doing really well. She goes on on her own to lay down and likes to dig for treats.

There's still whining but that's par for the course. Little Pepper is catching on quick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.