Just picked up my first Purebreed GSD, seems way to small. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Just picked up my first Purebreed GSD, seems way to small.

Picked up this little guy today, breeder said he is 11 weeks old, he looked small but figured runts deserve love too but weighed him when I got home and only weighs 8 lbs. Does not hold his bladder well, does seem to have all his teeth. Seems a lot younger. This was a first time breeder, but had all documents (lineage, hip certifications) and was able to meet his parents, both pretty large dogs. I checked his first poop for worms, no worms. Kept a sample for my vet visit this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 AM
Crowned Member

His eyes look pretty bright, and from the pic at least what we can see of his coat it seems to be okay, just take him to a Vet for a checkup like yesterday! Congrats on the new pup, but I'm curious as to why you'd get a pup this way? Cost? Distance? Wait time?

I bought a BYB puppy. For me it was all of the above, combined with a healthy dose of willful ignorance! My dog is a gem, but many don't get that lucky...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 10-21-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah he seems healthy, just looks like a miniature GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on the new pup. Very cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
His eyes look pretty bright, and from the pic at least what we can see of his coat it seems to be okay, just take him to a Vet for a checkup like yesterday! Congrats on the new pup, but I'm curious as to why you'd get a pup this way? Cost? Distance? Wait time?

I bought a BYB puppy.
For me it was all of the above, combined with a healthy dose of willful ignorance! My dog is a gem, but many don't get that lucky...
In defense of the OP I think you are making assumptions on this being a byb. They have pedigree and health check documentation. Meet the dam and sire. All the things forum members tell those looking for a pup to look for. Even reputable breeders have a first litter. Sure this may not be an experienced breeder but lets not jump to the conclusion or imply the OP has made some sort of mistake right of the bat.
I didn't see anything in the OP's post about how s/he came to the decision to pick this pup from this breeder.
selzer, Tulip and Kyrielle like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 AM
Crowned Member

8 pounds is small for 11 weeks. It could have some problem, it could just have been a lot smaller than the rest of litter and needs to catch up without all the competition. But, if I was you, I would buy health insurance for the puppy, because you never know, and having had a rough start, it may have some problems.
huntergreen and Tulip like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Weighed him again cause our scale sucks, and he is closer to 11 pounds still light, but not as bad. Need to get him on a vet scale
Tulip and Sunsilver like this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 AM
Crowned Member

Can you weigh yourself, with the pup, and then without the pup, that may give you a better answer than the pup alone. But 11 pounds is much better.
tc68 and Tulip like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Congrats on the new pup. Very cute.

In defense of the OP I think you are making assumptions on this being a byb.
They have pedigree and health check documentation. Meet the dam and sire. All the things forum members tell those looking for a pup to look for. Even reputable breeders have a first litter. Sure this may not be an experienced breeder but lets not jump to the conclusion or imply the OP has made some sort of mistake right of the bat.
I didn't see anything in the OP's post about how s/he came to the decision to pick this pup from this breeder.
I did not suggest anywhere that the OP's breeder was a BYB...please read again.

The OP's puppy looks okay in the picture, if a bit small for the stated age. But any new puppy from any source should see a Vet right away! At least that's what I do...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

@tim_s_adams sent you a PM

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 PM

No 11 week old pup is going to hold his bladder. That said, your cute pup does look small. Is he American lines? Just curious. Enjoy him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in