Help! What is going on with my puppy?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Help! What is going on with my puppy?!

We finally decided to introduce a new puppy into our family (we had just 1 cat) and obviously I went for the shepherd breed because I grew up with them and love their temperament. Especially when it comes to kids. I didn't care to get a registered shepherd because he will just be a pet and didn't want to spend the extra 300 plus for the papers. So with that being said, I found one online not very far from me. Mom is a white shepherd and dad is a black and tan. Mom is a little on the small side. I didn't actually meet them. They sent pics because we met at a public place. I was told my baby was 9 weeks old and that he was the runt. They gave me shot records and handed me the puppy with a collar and food. Looking at pictures of other shepherds, he just seems too small. Even if he is the runt. Also he has white markings on his toes and his tail curls a lot typically when he's walking around. So far he has been hard to train which I'm not used to in shepherds, even puppies. I've attached some pictures taken a couples days after I brought him home and some of the parents. In your opinion is he pure bred? I know you cant 110% tell without papers but just want an opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_152247_1571495849636.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	526443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_152212_1571495875846.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	526445   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_205652_1571495890302.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	526447   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1_1571495953495.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	526449   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1_1571495963597.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	526451  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:59 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Very cute puppy, but my guess is that he's not purebred. Hard to tell how big he is from photos, do you know what he weighs?
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

He has his first vet appointment next week so I will find out then but he cant be more than like 7lbs I'm guessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM

He's adorable!His mom's physique is very different from a purebred shepherd,but she looks healthy and muscular.Most importantly is that he's a good fit with your family.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:33 PM

A very cute puppy, but not likely a pure breed (based on the combined things; multiple white areas, the size & the curly tail you mention) Enjoy the puppy Sometimes there can be a health advantage, with a mixed breed

When you can't actually meet the parents, generally there is a reason. Meeting in a parking lot, has to make you wonder. Perhaps one of the parents could be a mix, but looks like a pure breed. Several years ago, my parents fell for a similar story I could tell right away when I saw the dog, that it was a mix The dog became a good pet & was a benefit for my elderly parents.

My understanding is that pure breed GSD's can have a white spot somewhere (ie on the chest), but not multiple white spots in various locations. I don't know it it's the lighting in the photo, but it appears as if there is some white above the eye brows as well. The face marking are very cute, whether it's a pure breed or not.

I used to have a semi-ferral cat, that was a Siamese mix. It looked Siamese in almost every way, but it had white on it's feet. Those involved with cat rescue, referred to it as a Snow Shoe Siamese. It was a mix of a Siamese with a common cat

Last edited by NaughtyNibbler; 10-19-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

The ear set is all wrong for a purebred GSD. They are set too low on the head and the bases have no strength. I doubt very much they will ever stand.

Here's a photo of my 9 week old GSD. The ears should look more like this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

My first dog looked very much like the photo of mom that you posted, only mine was mostly black with a white patch on the chest and white feet. He was a Lab/GSD mix I was told. Cute puppy though!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Not a purebred there, in fact I'm highly skeptical that those two dogs made that puppy. Puppy looks to have hound or retriever of some kind in it. Father appears to be long haired, and I doubt he fathered that litter at all.

In litters it's possible to have two males father one litter. Our husky/shepherd had 10 puppies shortly after we got her. 4 of them were quite obviously not similar to the other 6. We kept track of most of them, other than the one we kept (our late great Happy dog) some lived quite close to us. The hound looking puppies grew up to resemble none of their other siblings.

Unless you paid a lot for your puppy, just enjoy him. Mixed breeds are great.
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Knighted Member

Just one thing I'd like to add: if someone says they will meet you anywhere but their home to exchange the puppy, that is a HUGE red flag! It means they don't want you to see the pup's living conditions, and COULD be a puppy miller.

The pup is cute, and looks healthy, and you did get health records, so I think you're off to a good start, in spite of everything. But next time, PLEASE arrange to see the puppy's home, and the mother, father as well if possible!
Jax08, KodiakCoss, Mudypoz and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

I agree about the red flag. I found what I thought was a good online breeder for a friend. I told her when they get there if anything seems off, walk away. They drove 6 hrs to pick up the dog in a parking lot. She didn’t tell me that I advance. He looked like a mix but they insisted in taking him anyway. He is now about 8 and looks mostly German Shepherd except for his ears, and he has a different temperament. I found out later the woman was not a breeder, she was a scam artist who posed online as a service dog trainer and handler. She bred two random dogs and sold them as purebreds. It was not the first time, either.

There are good reasons why we suggest buyers only buy from a reputable breeder with pedigrees. It’s not about the money but about knowing what you are getting. I agree with everyone else. He is very cute and you are probably already attached to him. Love him, train him, ask for help here and enjoy your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page