German Shepherds Forum banner

Hair size in long haired GSD

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dogma13 
#1 ·
So I have 4 months old GSD puppy. He is starting to have the adult fur pattern on the back. Is there a way at this age or 5-6 months to know how long his adult hair is gonna be? I have seen some very long long haired GSD and very short Long haired GSD. Some have way more fur on head even at adult age while some grow nice long hair evenly by 1-2 years of age. Is there some hair that could determine his adult hair like hair on ears or on paws etc?

#2 ·
It's probably too soon to know for sure, but his parents' coats would be a clue to what he'll look like as an adult. There is quite a bit of variation, as you've noticed. Keefer's coat was very long, and got even longer as he aged, especially the back of his front and rear legs. Halo's coat was not very long at all, although her ear floofs were much longer than his. In addition to being shorter than his, her coat was very thick and dense, so textures can vary too.

#5 · (Edited)
The best barometer for how he will look is to check out his dad. Males usually take on the fur pattern and length of their fathers, females their moms. It's not a total given, but something. Personally, I am hoping my guy is in between his mom and dad in terms of length.

Frisco at 5.5 months @ 62 lbs. (pic #1), his dad (pic #2), and his mom, dad and sister (previous litter), in that order (pic #3).

#10 ·
I bought a german shepard puppy. The dam was a saddle back and the father was all black. My puppy looks more the shilo shepard. His hair is med to long. I spoke with a german shepard breeder where I live and gave her his back ground dam and sire and she told me he is CODED. Has anyone out there ever heard of a coded german shepard puppy? Please let me know. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.