Puppy shots - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Puppy shots

So I've never had a puppy and, the youngest i had was 1yr. From what i read, the combo shots are pretty powerful against a puppies developing immune system. I found the recommend chart but, the breeder had already done two 1-DAPPv shots. How do you recommend i proceed from here? He also never used a flea and tick treatment. I started her on Vectra3d(flea&tick) and pyrental(Dewormer) this month. Vectra3d on 10/3 and pyrental on 10/8. My hope is to be able to have some sort of input when i take her to the vet. I just don't want him/her swaying me when it comes to a pup. I also moved to a new state so i don't have a relationship with my vet. I also attached a little schedule the breeder was using.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schedulevax.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	526141  

Last edited by Eclipse; 10-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

So at 6 weeks ad 11 weeks he got this vaccination? The 6 week one probably didn't do a whole lot as his mom's antibodies could have neutralized the vaccine. If it were my pup, I would give him a single Parvo at 14 weeks and a single Distemper one at 15 weeks. Then after three weeks titer him tfor Parvo and Distemper and go from there. Don't use too many chemicals in this young body.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Will a vet actually be willing to give a single dose of either? She was born on 6/24 so shes already 14 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would do the next one at 15 weeks. And either titer or do another at 19 weeks. They are finding the mother's immunity for either parvo or distemper could last beyond the 16 weeks so giving another round at 20 weeks is not going to hurt her. Wait 3-4 weeks to give her rabies. Not sure what the law is in your state or the prevalence of rabies in your area but I have the rabies done at least 3 weeks after the last puppy series shot.

That one given at 6 weeks is pretty useless. I do the puppy series and then titer at 1 yr.
wolfy dog and Eclipse like this.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

Deja had her puppy shots (the traditional ones) at the breeder and no more after ( I got her as an 9-month old). She was titered last year, being 5 years old,for Parvo and Distemper and had plenty of antibodies. I think she won't need anymore vaccines. Our county also honors Rabies titers. You may have to special-order the single vaccines yourself and have a vet give them or find a vet who offers this.
crittersitter and Eclipse like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 AM
Crowned Member

If you want to go with well researched, evidence-based guide-lines, I would direct you to the AAHA vaccine guidelines -- they are the gold-standard in scientifically sound recommendations in veterinary medicine, and they're continually updated as new research becomes available. If you print them out and take them to the appointment, your vet will know you're a smart cookie who researches reliable sources for evidence-based advice....and not an Internet-outrage-machine influenced kook who believes vaccines turn puppies into porcupines...or whatever the latest outrage against them is.

https://www.aaha.org/aaha-guidelines...eral-practice/

(click "expand all" to see the core vaccine guidelines)

The bottom line is that per AAHA you should be boostering DAPP every 2-4 weeks until the pup is 16 weeks.

What are you using for heartworm prevention, by the way? Around 12 weeks is a good time to get an RX for that from the vet.
Spetzio, RoseW and Eclipse like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

I follow AAHA guidelines. However, with my male, when we titered him at 1 yr, he had zero immunity to distemper. As if he had never been vaccinated. It happens. So when I see that shots were given by the breeder, knowing how sensitive vaccines are to temperature, I would err on the side of caution and give another shot at 19 weeks or titer to ensure immunity. It will not hurt her. Parvo and distemper will.
Eclipse likes this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 AM

I’ve just followed the vets lead, but after reading this I wonder if I’ve done too much immunization and vaccination. What to you think? First snip is what he came with from the breeders vet. The rest is from mine. I think we are done for a while, but he was pushing a flu shot next, but it's discretionary. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by Frisco19; 10-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

I don't worry about getting an "extra" puppy shot. I worry a lot about people only doing two (one of which may not have taken), and then deciding they're done because of anti-vax fear-mongering.

Canine flu is a "lifestyle" vaccine per AAHA. If your dog boards or goes to day care, you'll likely be required to have it. If you go to dog parks, shows, or events, and live in an area where there are dog-flu outbreaks, you probably want it.

Bordetella has similar lifestyle factors.

Lepto depends on your local wildlife population and whether you hike where wildlife is, live in an area that sometimes floods, or have puddles/standing water that your pet swims in/tries to drink from. I have cases of lepto in my neighborhood. The raccoons and foxes transmit it easily when they pee on a bush and then a dog comes by later and sniffs or tongue-flicks it. It can also live in standing water (puddles). It causes kidney shut-down. If you live in a concrete jungle where the most wildlife you see is a squirrel, you probably don't have lepto around. OTOH, if you live in a suburban or ex-urban area with lots of green space and wildlife, ask your vet about incidence. My dogs can't go without it!

You can answer the lifestyle questions on the AAHA page to generate personalized recs of non-core vaccines:
https://www.aaha.org/aaha-guidelines...ne-calculator/
Spetzio, RoseW and cvamoca like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So at 6 weeks ad 11 weeks he got this vaccination? The 6 week one probably didn't do a whole lot as his mom's antibodies could have neutralized the vaccine. If it were my pup, I would give him a single Parvo at 14 weeks and a single Distemper one at 15 weeks. Then after three weeks titer him tfor Parvo and Distemper and go from there. Don't use too many chemicals in this young body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would do the next one at 15 weeks. And either titer or do another at 19 weeks. They are finding the mother's immunity for either parvo or distemper could last beyond the 16 weeks so giving another round at 20 weeks is not going to hurt her. Wait 3-4 weeks to give her rabies. Not sure what the law is in your state or the prevalence of rabies in your area but I have the rabies done at least 3 weeks after the last puppy series shot.

That one given at 6 weeks is pretty useless. I do the puppy series and then titer at 1 yr.

Sorry for sounding confused but, you mentioned to do the next one at 15 weeks. Are you talking about the combo one or just the single Parvo one? I was able to find a single Parvo shot online. It seems like i can only get the Distemper and Adenovirus Type 2 together in one shot, not separated. I live in NC and rabies has to be done at 4 months.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page