When did your GSD stop needing constant attention? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

When did your GSD stop needing constant attention?

Hi guys! I was wondering how old your GSD was before they stopped needing constant supervision and constant entertainment when they're not confined somehow. My female GSD is almost 6 months and she is very calm and well mannered for a puppy, always has been, and doesn't try to destroy stuff really. And I know she's still young, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Right now when she's out she wants and needs constant attention or she will look for stuff to get into. She'll go bother the cats. She'll play with her toys intermittently but then get bored and look for trouble. And this is AFTER a day full of activity and play lol.

When did your GSD get to a point where constant attention wasn't needed or asked for by the dog? Trust me, I love spending lots of time with my baby but I don't want to have to watch her every single second, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

When they get enough daily exercise, they are tired and not getting into trouble. She is bored. If she gets enough exercise, find different ways to stimulate her interest. Some dogs play by themselves with toys but she isn’t. She needs to learn how to use toys. My dogs can entertain themselves now, but it took a long time for them to learn what a toy can do.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 09-21-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 PM

She is a GSD. Lots of exercise, lots of mental stimulation and lots of years. GSDs are not couch potatoes. 6 months old is a baby.
Aly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
When they get enough daily exercise, they are tired and not getting into trouble. She is bored. If she gets enough exercise, find different ways to stimulate her interest. Some dogs play by themselves with toys but she isn’t. She needs to learn how to use toys. My dogs can entertain themselves now, but it took a long time for them to learn what a toy can do.
Yep I know she is a baby and not to expect it for a long time! Just wanted to hear other experiences to get an idea.

She gets a LOT of exercise. This morning we were at the park for hours, we play lots of tennis ball fetching in the yard and play chase in the house. I can tell she's tired because she's dragging her feet and shuffling around and not acting all hyper but she always pushes herself to keep going when she's tired, a lot like a toddler. So she won't settle. She'll look for trouble lol
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

Hans started slowing down when he turned 4.

Do you crate her? That’s where she needs to go when she is overtired and looking for things to get into.
When you are not interacting with her, she goes in the crate.

My little one also has an expen where I will put him so he can learn to relax in the house.

By the way, mine get attention when I want to give it, not when they ask for it.
LuvShepherds and wolfy dog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019

Last edited by Sunflowers; 09-21-2019 at 10:09 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Hans started slowing down when he turned 4.

Do you crate her? That’s where she needs to go when she is overtired and looking for things to get into.
When you are not interacting with her, she goes in the crate.

My little one also has an expen where I will put him so he can learn to relax in the house.

By the way, mine get attention when I want to give it, not when they ask for it.
Yep, she has a crate in our bedroom where she sleeps and a pen with no top in our main area where she goes when we can't watch her. She's in there a decent amount of time during the day and she's really good and calm in there 95% of the time. But some days she's in there more because we were gone or busy so I feel really bad putting her back in there after exercising and such so I try to keep her out. But I can't interact every second so then she gets herself into trouble even when she's tired. But I don't want to crate her more because she was already in there more than usual earlier in the day. Etc. Lol.

Even when she hasn't been in the pen very much for the day I feel bad putting her in there just because I don't want to play a bunch right then. Because it's obvious she has energy and wants stimulation and just because I don't feel like it she has to be confined. She's almost always really calm about it too, but you can tell she'd much rather be out and playing and it makes me feel guilty. But then I start to get frustrated having to watch her every single second and not being able to relax.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 PM

if you are tired and feeling frustrated, go ahead and put her into her crate or xpen. I understand wanting to make your pup happy when they look at you with such joy. They do need to understand life is not one long play time

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Elite Member

First things first. She's a puppy and needs guidance from her human. Don't let your guilt prevent you from teaching her how to settle when she is tired or when you need your time. If she is getting the exercise you say then crate/pen time is good for her. If you want to have her out more you could tether her to you. That way she can be with you, supervised and you can still get chores done, etc. If you want down time to just relax and read or watch tv teach her the place command/long down stay. If she is tethered to you she will likely just lie down by your feet and nap happily. It doesn't nor should it be go go go all the time. Teaching to settle and be relaxed is an important part of training and good manners.
There is the saying a tired puppy is a good puppy but even that comes with a caveat. An overtired puppy that doesn't know how to settle is a no different than an over tired toddler throwing a temper tantrum. Nap time it is.
It will get better with time, maturity and good training.
Sunflowers and dogma13 like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouscat44 View Post
Yep, she has a crate in our bedroom where she sleeps and a pen with no top in our main area where she goes when we can't watch her. She's in there a decent amount of time during the day and she's really good and calm in there 95% of the time. But some days she's in there more because we were gone or busy so I feel really bad putting her back in there after exercising and such so I try to keep her out. But I can't interact every second so then she gets herself into trouble even when she's tired. But I don't want to crate her more because she was already in there more than usual earlier in the day. Etc. Lol.

Even when she hasn't been in the pen very much for the day I feel bad putting her in there just because I don't want to play a bunch right then. Because it's obvious she has energy and wants stimulation and just because I don't feel like it she has to be confined. She's almost always really calm about it too, but you can tell she'd much rather be out and playing and it makes me feel guilty. But then I start to get frustrated having to watch her every single second and not being able to relax.
Donít feel bad.
She is a dog.
She has it better than so many dogs out there.
She also needs to learn to relax and just be, so spend with her as much time as you can and want, and donít feel guilty about the time you need for yourself.
dogma13 and Kyrielle like this.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 AM
Elite Member

This may help you feel better, how much sleep do dogs need. Puppies need more than an adult dog. What human toddler, or dogs wants to go down for a nap?

https://www.sleep.org/articles/how-much-do-dogs-sleep/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page