German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Neutering: When and Why? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/757649-neutering-when-why.html)

Frisco19 09-12-2019 08:37 AM

Neutering: When and Why?

SO SO SO many opinions on this. I’m a two year old guy when done with puberty. Daycare is an issue though after six months.

What a your philosophy and why?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jax08 09-12-2019 08:54 AM

If you (general you, not you personally) are going to neuter, my preference would be not before 2. I have a 6 yr old intact male. Never had an issue. He marked in a store one time, I set him up the next time and corrected him. Issue over. No temperament issues at all that people claim come with intact males. Bottom line for me is if you are a responsible person that can keep your dog from breeding unintentionally and not breed irresponsibly, then there is no reason to neuter and it's a personal choice.

Shane'sDad 09-12-2019 09:02 AM

My opinion has changed from early neuter to waiting until they're a few years old ......hoping that keeping the hormones around longer in this breed that's known for dysplasia and arthritis will maybe help joints develop better and just might help them have less issues later in life...and you're right spay/neuter ranks right up there with the ongoing great dog food debate....and of course there's always those opinions out there on very early spay for females trying to avoid mammary cancer...nowadays there's some experts "study" on every thing pick a subject.. there's likely one out there with results on the best way to breath air....just sayin'

Jax08 09-12-2019 09:16 AM

I think alot of the health issues are just dumb luck along with the specific genetics on the dog you get. We spayed a Boxer early. She lived to be 13, which is unheard of for Boxers. 2nd female Boxer, spayed at 3 years. She was over 12. Both backyard bred dogs with no pedigree history. Boxers just don't live past 10 years but both of ours did with quality of life until a few months before the end.

My Jax - adopted out of a shelter. Spayed at 4-6 months. Supposedly a GSD/BC mix. HD, torn acl, died of hemangio at just 10 years. We hit all the big 3 on the early spay list of correlations.

All minimal vaccinations. Boxers at kibble. Jax ate raw. I did everything "right" and still lost her early.

So while I firmly believe there is a correlation, I think there are other unknown factors that play into that as well.

CometDog 09-12-2019 09:26 AM

I also do not neuter unless a medical reason came up.

I hear you on the daycare care. I mean, I do not do dog daycare. It's against my philosophies on dog life (random group dog play) but there are other things that we have been excluded from due to my dog's sporting their Devil's Acorns. There are a few bars in South NJ that allow you to bring your dogs, and there are leashed only areas (like patios) ...but no intact males allowed. No Yappy hour at Bark In The Park for you!! And there is a 1.50 surcharge per testicle on the dog license. LOL

You can actually save money by having someone come in midday and spend a half hour letting your dog out, feeding him if needed, etc. Most dog walkers around here in a suburb of NYC charge 15 to 25 per half hour visit. Dog daycare around here is 45 to 60 per day. I am way more comfortable getting to know a personal dog caretaker. I have a college age sitter who charges 25 per day to hang out with my dogs if I have a long day, and she charges 50 per 24 hours if it involves an overnight. Boarding at a kennel runs about 60 to 90 a night. So it is a no brainer for me.

CometDog 09-12-2019 09:34 AM

My Boxer Hound mix Bo. He stayed with my ex after we divorced. BUT he was neutered at 6 months (shelter dog). He has never been to the vet except for vaccines. He is 11 and still chasing down skunk and groundhogs in my ex's yard. He has perfected skunk killing without getting sprayed. They circle face to face and duel until Bo goes in lighting quick for a head grab. Then I have had early spay dogs that had early incontinence, early neuter dogs that had behavioral issues. They have hunches, they have some evidence here and there, but I think a lot more into a dog's projected timeline genetics wise, over what is done to them.

That said, if things aren't broken I don't fix them. I don't know why anyone would think there are not ramifications from a pediatric neuter. Hormones contribute so much more to growth than just sexuality. Brain development, bone development. Hormones are the messengers that turn things on and off at the right time. So me personally I don't neuter at all..but if I did it would be after age 2.

Pawsed 09-12-2019 09:40 AM

Our older dog was neutered at 6 months. He is oversized, has always had problems with his weight and now has joint issues. It's a constant struggle to keep him at a decent weight.

Our younger dog at 6 is intact. There have been no problems whatsoever with him. No marking, no aggression, no running off to find females, nothing that "people" claim would happen. He's a great dog and very healthy.

We had a female, spayed at 4 months who had the worst hips our vet had ever seen. She died at the ripe old age of 3 from hemangio.

Another male we had was neutered young and tore his ACL. He was just running easily across the yard when that happened. He was also taller than the standard.

To me, neutering is completely unnecessary. I've learned my lessons, thanks to this forum. The only exception for me would be for a medical issue that could not be solved any other way.

Jax08 09-12-2019 09:46 AM

The hips and acl correlation makes sense to me. Early spay/neuter makes them leggy, putting stress on the ligaments. Take away the growth hormones, bones don't grow correctly.

MineAreWorkingline 09-12-2019 10:23 AM

There is no doubt that the genetics a dog is born with plays a huge role in that dog's health. Poor conformation alone can take its toll on joints. There is undoubtedly a strong genetic component to behavior, cancers, and other health conditions.

When considering neutering, you have to think of it as something that may compound a dog's inherent predisposition to behavior and health issues.

One thing a lot of people fail to think about when deciding on the best age to neuter is that hormones play a major, synergistic role in health until a dog's final days. Waiting until two years of age helps with joint problems due to unnatural growth caused by early neutering but hormones continue to have an impact on joint health beyond the growth period and that is only one example among many.

My personal preference is to keep my dogs intact unless a health condition forces my hand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

wolfmonte 09-12-2019 10:45 AM

I wait till 2 years or more. However, if male is exceptional, I will keep him intact and may use as stud. I have seen many dogs who lost their drive or had health complications when neutered before 1 year. Moreover, if you have a well-trained dog, hormones shouldn't be a big problem. I may sound ignorant, but to me they feel less "Dog" when neutered too soon.