Neutering: When and Why? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Master Member

There is no need to neuter a dog. It is promoted by vets to make money. I am willing to bet there are no male members on this forum who have been neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:05 AM

All my previous dogs were adopted as adult females already spayed. My childhood dog was spay at 6 months. They led good lives. It wasn't until I started researching GSDs from good breeders that I found out about delayed de-sexing. My almost 6 year old male is still intact. He doesn't roam and has never had an oops litter. He does love love love the scent of a sweet young thing, which can be annoying, but other than that he is great. Well, he did get a rash on his testicles that took awhile to heal. That wasn't pleasant.

My female went through 2 heats and got de-sexed at 18 months. I had been considering an ovary sparing spay but when she was in her 2nd heat, our poor boy cried for a week and a half and my gal was bored being locked up in her crate most of the day for nearly a month. For all our sanity, that was a good time to get her snipped.
Jax08, Sabis mom and Kyrielle like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

I don't have an issue spaying an adult female. I think the real risk of pyometra as an adult outweighs the hormones. I do wonder if there is a hormone replacement for dogs like there is for people.
Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Most intact males really do act different in a social setting and it can be a problem. I've had plenty of boarding and daycare dogs who may have remained happily social if they had been neutered early but lost it because of staying intact. I've talked to professionals who run huge programs with group social dog experience who say the same.

Some can kind of resocialize after neutering as adults and have some luck.

My 4 y/o male shepherd is still intact and he does better socially than most. He will still play very nicely with neutered males.

My lab is a little over 16 mo and I just neutered him. I had planned to get him to 2 but there was some weird stuff starting between him and my older male. They have never had a fight but the dynamic was changing and I know my older male can be totally fine with adult neutered males so I decided to go ahead and do it for the sake of our family dynamic.

I came *this* close to cancelling the surgery because they just seemed fine and I thought this is stupid and then my husband reminded me how many times I had commented "I don't think we are going to make it to 2 with this one"

It's too soon from his surgery to really know how it will effect the dynamic but I am watching curiously.

I want my dogs healthy...this pup is one of the healthiest and hardiest I've ever had. OFA prelims were good/normal. Tons of health testing behind him. He is active and healthy weight. Wish I could have kept his nuts longer but if it had made for more tension in my house I just don't think it's worth it. I do not want a crate and rotate life ESPECIALLY since one is a service dog! Just no.

His breeder recommended to neuter at 1yr, and we made it longer than that, so...

If your dogs have a different social life, don't play with many new dogs, it probably wouldn't effect you at all.

My position is...do the best you can within reason and gowever its safe and sensible for your and your dog's life.
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Master Member

Both my boys have all their gear. One is AKC that I plan on trialing with and the other a dobie gsd mix. They havenít had any issues with marking and have their dog friends too, but are definitely not overly social with people or strange dogs. Which is fine by me.

My female is spayed and they donít come into contact with intact females. If they were to by an off chance in public they are under restraint. I havenít seen any reason to neuter them in my situation.
CometDog likes this.
post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
There is no need to neuter a dog. It is promoted by vets to make money. I am willing to bet there are no male members on this forum who have been neutered.
Because of our egos, we just call it marriage. Combined with age, the results are comparable.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Because of our egos, we just call it marriage. Combined with age, the results are comparable.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I don't have an issue spaying an adult female. I think the real risk of pyometra as an adult outweighs the hormones. I do wonder if there is a hormone replacement for dogs like there is for people.
Does Pyometra affect the ovaries or is it just a uterine infection? I know with people a lot of uterine woes and risks are avoided by partial hysterectomy ..which is basically ovary sparing.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post

Wise man, wise man
Jax08, Benjaminb and cvamoca like this.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 PM

I have to ask if anyone here has ever dealt with spay incontinence? It will make its appearance gradually after the spay surgery. The cause is the fact that it is a total hysterectomy which means estrogen drastically drops so, the urethra sphincter muscles weaken. The cause is lack of estrogen hormones.

Anyone deal with this issue?

Did you just live with it, or treat it? You can try hormone replacement. There are other prescriptions that reduce the leaks too.

It's not a harmful condition, but it surely is messy and annoying. I've known of a few people that have dogs with spay incontinence.

I'm now wondering if doing a tubal ligation to keep everything intact is a better option. That would preserve the ovaries, keeping the hormones running as nature intended, but you prevent potential of pregnancies. Yeah, there are risks, but let's be clear here that a spay surgery, despite having become like a rite of passage, being so routine, is still a seriously invasive surgical procedure. I don't take spay or neuter surgery lightly.

I'm still all for spay and neuter for the majority of dog owners out there. Fact is, most people aren't that responsible, so their dogs should be spay/neutered from the get go. For the rest of us that have a clue here, we can make that determination to spay neuter sooner or later ourselves. I will say living with an intact male dog sometimes is no issue at all. It does depend on individual factors. However, living with an intact female dog is another story. It's not something I willingly want to manage, but it's not that difficult to deal with heat cycles + keep your female constantly supervised at that time. I've known of breeders that have several intact dogs that have never had accidental pregnancies, or behavior issues. Yet, for the general public here in the USA, I have no faith in the responsibility of most people so, I encourage spay neuter, period.

Interestingly in Norway, neutering is generally considered inhumane so, dogs are left intact. I think in Sweden it's also common for dogs to be left intact. But mentioning Norway, here's a link as evidence, so you all know I'm not making this up -->

https://jennifermargulis.net/norwegi...-dog-is-cruel/

https://sciencenorway.no/animal-welf...utered/1419580

Anyways, about spay incontinence??? Have you dealt with this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page