Neutering: When and Why? - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

I hear grey hounds another breed on the larger side are good for people with dog allergies- if some people are looking for less fluff or curls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

An allergist (MD) told me that it is the skin particles that cause allergies and NOT the hair. So he called 'anti allergenic breeds' a fabrication.
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Iím amazed that people will pay $3000 for a labradoodle puppy. For a mixed breed dog. If I had that kind of money to spend on a puppy, Iíd be buying a GSD show puppy. I think people just like saying the word doodle, lol.
A fool and their money is soon parted. I just wonder how the fools get their money in the first place. Methinks too many folks have too much money to spend and then there's me. I suppose I am a fool for dogs, and that's where all the money goes, before I ever get it.

But yeah, I think folks get enamored by the cutsie little doodle word.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Lol Iíll admit I like to say the word poodle. It used to be Scarletís nickname.

Way back in the day, we saw lots of cockapoos and peekapoos, and then the schnoodles came along. Youíd think that mixing poodle with another breed would smarten it up, but that was never my experience. More often than not, it seemed that the worst of both breeds would come out. I hated grooming cockapoos. They were so stupid. (My apologies to those that loved their cockapoos. They were terrible to groom).

I groomed one Portuguese Water Dog for years, and I really liked her. Sturdy, fun dog.
Jax08 likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
An allergist (MD) told me that it is the skin particles that cause allergies and NOT the hair. So he called 'anti allergenic breeds' a fabrication.
There are different factors for different people. In cats for example people are generally allergic to a component in the saliva. Less allergenic breeds produce less of that component in their saliva. Which is how the mainecoon for all its long fur is less allergenic.

In dogs it varies but people are often allergic to the dander. So dogs that shed less and their fur traps the dander(hence the huge grooming requirements) people are usually less allergic to them. Doodles and other normally less allergenic breeds have very little consistency when mixed so it's often more of a coin toss unless it's from a reputable breeder who is several generations away from F1 and even then it isn't guaranteed. In the very first labradoodle F1 litter I think only one didn't trigger allergies in the lady. So technically an F1 cross could produce all allergic or all lower allergenic puppies. And somebody with a strong allergy might still be allergic to the hypoallergenic puppies. They may also not have issues with other breeds or sometimes specific dogs.

It's also why if somebody has allergies they want to meet both parents if they're purebred to see if they react to them because people often don't react to puppies. So there is some truth in people suddenly struggling with older puppies and allergies.
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Lol Iíll admit I like to say the word poodle. It used to be Scarletís nickname.

Way back in the day, we saw lots of cockapoos and peekapoos, and then the schnoodles came along. Youíd think that mixing poodle with another breed would smarten it up, but that was never my experience. More often than not, it seemed that the worst of both breeds would come out. I hated grooming cockapoos. They were so stupid. (My apologies to those that loved their cockapoos. They were terrible to groom).

I groomed one Portuguese Water Dog for years, and I really liked her. Sturdy, fun dog.
I think I would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap if I said "cockapoo" when I was growing up. I think if one of my nieces were to say that, I might still wash their mouth out with soap. Only for a different reason. Cockapoo rhymes with Peekachu and I do have a niece that might put a purple collar on one of those and... Yes, want to make a real aversion to the term cockapoo, soap might do it.
wolfy dog likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I think I would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap if I said "cockapoo" when I was growing up. I think if one of my nieces were to say that, I might still wash their mouth out with soap. Only for a different reason. Cockapoo rhymes with Peekachu and I do have a niece that might put a purple collar on one of those and... Yes, want to make a real aversion to the term cockapoo, soap might do it.
Up until just now I never thought about the idiocy of ****-a-Poo. They should bleep it
selzer likes this.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
There are different factors for different people. In cats for example people are generally allergic to a component in the saliva. Less allergenic breeds produce less of that component in their saliva. Which is how the mainecoon for all its long fur is less allergenic.

In dogs it varies but people are often allergic to the dander. So dogs that shed less and their fur traps the dander(hence the huge grooming requirements) people are usually less allergic to them. Doodles and other normally less allergenic breeds have very little consistency when mixed so it's often more of a coin toss unless it's from a reputable breeder who is several generations away from F1 and even then it isn't guaranteed. In the very first labradoodle F1 litter I think only one didn't trigger allergies in the lady. So technically an F1 cross could produce all allergic or all lower allergenic puppies. And somebody with a strong allergy might still be allergic to the hypoallergenic puppies. They may also not have issues with other breeds or sometimes specific dogs.

It's also why if somebody has allergies they want to meet both parents if they're purebred to see if they react to them because people often don't react to puppies. So there is some truth in people suddenly struggling with older puppies and allergies.
Very true some breeds are better for people that have allergies to dogs. Different proteins in the dander. My cats I was allergic according to my allergy test to cats. My two cats I was not allergic to one cat I had severe allergic reaction my eyes would swell up every time I pet her if I did not wash my hands after.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page