German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   His ear went down [emoji853] (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/757477-his-ear-went-down-%5Bemoji853%5D.html)

Frisco19 09-04-2019 08:55 AM

His ear went down [emoji853]

Frisco is 14 weeks. I know itís going to go back up. They have been both up for 5 weeks. Teething, growing too fast, etc. all contribute, I know, but itís bugging me! Please go back up soon! Need some OCD words of encouragement!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...91d2fe93a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

car2ner 09-04-2019 09:38 AM

Looks like my big-boy when he was a tyke. Ears went up and ears went down and ears leaned on each other. Now they stand straight and tall.
My gal-dog, on the other hand, her ears went up early and stayed up.

Your biggest task right now is to teach your dog how to deal with all the attention that it's gorgeous looks are going to draw. How will you deal with, "excuse me, may I pet your dog?"

Jax08 09-04-2019 10:09 AM

No worries. If it was up before, it will go back up. :) Give him things to chew on. I see their ears drop as adults if something is bothering them like an ear infection, or water in their ears after swimming. It's just the discomfort from teething that makes them drop.

Jchrest 09-04-2019 10:09 AM

If you build it, they will come.

Frisco19 09-04-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car2ner (Post 9190383)
Looks like my big-boy when he was a tyke. Ears went up and ears went down and ears leaned on each other. Now they stand straight and tall.
My gal-dog, on the other hand, her ears went up early and stayed up.

Your biggest task right now is to teach your dog how to deal with all the attention that it's gorgeous looks are going to draw. How will you deal with, "excuse me, may I pet your dog?"

Ha! They were leaning on each other for a while, which was cute. My last GSD's were up when I got him at 12 weeks and never came down. I get stopped constantly and in the beginning I loved it, now I still like it a lot especially from a knowledgeable GSD person, but once in a while I lose a little patience if I am in a hurry whith "can I pet your dog?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 9190385)
No worries. If it was up before, it will go back up. :) Give him things to chew on. I see their ears drop as adults if something is bothering them like an ear infection, or water in their ears after swimming. It's just the discomfort from teething that makes them drop.

Thanks, yes, he eating lots of bully sticks and the like. It's crazy how it can go so limp! (that's what she said :surprise:)

Chuck94! 09-04-2019 01:05 PM

That's what a lot of ears tend to do. Go up, go down, it'll come around

wolfmonte 09-04-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisco19 (Post 9190379)
Frisco is 14 weeks. I know itís going to go back up. They have been both up for 5 weeks. Teething, growing too fast, etc. all contribute, I know, but itís bugging me! Please go back up soon! Need some OCD words of encouragement!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...91d2fe93a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He looks a lot like my pup. He is 13 weeks and same thing happened to him. His one ear is down. I won't worry till he is 5-6 months old. I mean, worry won't help. Just enjoy your pup and they will eventually come up. I am pretty much sure. The type of ears that typically don't come up look very different Lab like. Plus, they say once they go up, they MOST likely come back up after teething phase.

Sunsilver 09-04-2019 01:57 PM

My pup's ears were up at 12 weeks when I brought her home. By 14 weeks, both were down. It took the LONGEST time for them to come back up, but they did!

I hate to say this, but they didn't fully finish the up/down dance until she was nearly 9 months!!

Once up, they will come up again!

Frisco19 09-04-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfmonte (Post 9190457)
He looks a lot like my pup. He is 13 weeks and same thing happened to him. His one ear is down. I won't worry till he is 5-6 months old. I mean, worry won't help. Just enjoy your pup and they will eventually come up. I am pretty much sure. The type of ears that typically don't come up look very different Lab like. Plus, they say once they go up, they MOST likely come back up after teething phase.

Thanks. Can you post of picture of your pup? I'm curious since you said they look alike.

wolfmonte 09-04-2019 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisco19 (Post 9190467)
Thanks. Can you post of picture of your pup? I'm curious since you said they look alike.

This is two weeks ago when his ears were up. I don't have any current photo