Multi-vitamins for 9 year old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Multi-vitamins for 9 year old

Hi all,
Can you please help me out with what kind of multi-vitamin (suitable for dogs, the ones that have some flavor that mine would actually consider eating), for a 9 year old German Shepherd? I read a lot about adding that to his diet, as people also do
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

Why are you adding vitamins? If you are feeding kibble, then no need. It's already in the kibble and adding more could be toxic. If you are feeding raw, then you need to figure out which vitamins/minerals are lacking. I've never seen adding a multi-vitamin be recommended. A joint supplement maybe but not random vitamins.
wolfy dog likes this.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

Questions: what are you feeding (brand/life stage)? How is her weight and her physical and mental health, her exercise routine?
post #4 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Well, in people, the research has shown that multivitamins not only don't help people live longer, but they might even shorten lifespan. In dogs, commercial kibble already contains a vitamin pack, so there's absolutely no reason to add a multivitamin.

If you're taking one yourself, this recent meta-review covered 277 trials in humans:
https://newatlas.com/vitamins-minera...ifespan/60686/

And this study of their effect on humans is especially troubling:
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/heal...-side-effects/
Jax08 likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-26-2019 at 07:39 PM.
post #5 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Master Member

My family members are always pushing vitamins at me! This is eye-opening.

My 8 (?) year old dog does get a daily glucosmine/chondroitin/MSM tablet. We just break in half and put in his dinner each night. It has made such an improvement with his joints that I have started to take the human version, I hope it helps my stiffness in wrists/fingers and hips.

I researched this and nope, you should not give the human version to dogs or vice versa - due to the different digestive rates of humans vs dogs.
Oddly enough, my human version costs less than his canine version.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

@GSDchoice, Arthritis supplements are a whole other thing, very different from multivitamins-- I think that's why Jax08 (correctly, in my view) made a distinction for joint supplements. Some of the joint supplements have research literature supporting their effectiveness (and some don't).

In humans, the Glucosamine/Chondroitin literature is full of conflicting results (and the form of it seems to really matter too), but if it's working for you, that's what matters most. Most of the joint supplements appear to be harmless, so even if it turns out to be a placebo effect that relieves pain in humans with some of them, that's still real pain relief.
post #7 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I feed him kibble, about 70%, the rest is mix of BARF, wet food stuff, since he otherwise won't eat. He is not a vacuum cleaner when it gets to food, unfortunately, very moody. I thought we would still have to add some vitamin but I am glad that this is not needed.

His weight is excellent for his size and age, based on the exercises he does which are plenty of walks, playing with other dogs or ball throw etc, daily.

Last edited by Vara; 08-27-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #8 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

I think at 70% kibble and 30% fresh foods, you are fine. I would just be careful to make sure the 30% is a mix of bone and meat so it remains fairly balanced.

post #9 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

And on the missing post, I see you add vitamin D. Why? this is fat soluble so can be toxic if he has to much. I would add 400iu of vitamin E to go with your fish oil and stop the vitamin D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page