German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy!! Long or short coat?

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Paradokx 
#1 ·
Posted before but forgot to add a picture! :) Bringing home this cute baby on august 2nd, do you think she will be a long coat? Both parents seem to be medium coats, new gsd owner here so a bit clueless about the types.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Pretty confident black and red long but there are many variations of long, some longer than others but both officially classified as long. Females longs are less “long” than males.

Cute pup! Congrats, you made the right choice in breed[emoji6]

My guy is 11.5 weeks. He is a black and red long hair. Here are some pictures for references. The second to last is the sire who he will grow to look like. The last is his mom, dad and sister from a previous littler left to right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 ·
This is my first long coat. I think it's funny how people constantly ask what kind of dog it is because of the long coat. All GSDs are pretty obvious to me, long or short, but I definitely get a puzzled look when I tell them he is a GSD.

You guys get this reaction too?

#10 ·
That is definitely a long coat. Many people do not know that some GSDs do indeed have long coats. They probably assume it's some other breed. And then if you have a standard/short coat like me, people seem to think it's a wolf lol. Good looking dogs

Reactions: cvamoca
#11 ·
I would guess that the puppy is probably a long coat, but just for comparison, here is my puppy next to his whole litter. He’s the blue collar puppy with the white spot on his chest. See how fluffy he looks, especially compared to his brother standing next to him? My boy is a regular stock coat, but for a couple weeks the breeder was keeping an eye on him. She thought he may be a long coat.

Attachments

#12 ·
Alright guys! A pupdate! Heres my baby and her parents (breeder's dogs)

Attachments

#18 ·
SUPER cute puppy... just wanted to send you a warning on those cooling mats. Don't leave them alone with them, my 7 month old had it in the crate with her during her spay recovering and she tore it to shreds. The inside goop was everywhere... :surprise:

Reactions: Paradokx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.