German Shepherds Forum banner

5 mos old puppers

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Jchrest 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity cause my pup turned 5mos like a week ago ? He's a bit on the smaller side (probably around 50lbs ish now) but i dont think he's too underweight so hopefully he'll be a big man one day xD
Soooooo
What did ur pup look like and weigh at 5 mos? What did they turn out to be? ?

(On a side note last pic is his dad Can any1 tell me if he looks average or big ish? ?)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don’t get the obsession with bigger is better. Bigger dogs generally tend to have much more issues with hips, elbows, temperament issues, etc. They are being bred larger and larger by breeders who don’t give a hoot about the breed, and ignore health and temperament issues to breed those larger sized GSD’s people are wanting. I call it the small man syndrome ?.

My ADULT dogs topped out at 55-60lbs. Except my senior has been packing on the weight, and I’m trying to get her to lose it. My almost 5 month old pup weights 38lbs, and is doing the slow but steady gain, and I expect her to top out around the same weight and height as my other two.

I can’t comment on whether your pup will be big or not. The pic of the dad is of him standing and leaning against a gate. And no top shots from your pup, so it makes it difficult to tell if he is thin or overweight. If you truly need/want a large breed Shepherd, look into Shilo Shepherds. They have the size you seem to want, but bred in a much healthier way. Still prone to hip and elbow problems, but you’ll see that is most large breed dogs to some extent.

#3 ·
Contrary to popular misconception, larger GSDs are not more prone to hip or elbow problems. A larger GSD that actually works may have a greater predisposition to joint issues than a smaller dog but that is a side effect of the actual work, not size, which is not an issue for the average pet dog.

Larger size alone is not linked to temperament issues.

There are breeders that breed specifically for size while ignoring other traits. It is common for such breeders to also specifically breed for poor temperaments but that is linked to poor, but deliberate breeding choices, not size.

Alternatively, some dogs from reputable breeders will be oversized as well as undersized. When purchasing from such breeders, I would not expect any more health or temperament issues based on size alone.

A 50# five month old puppy is about average size. He has plenty of time left to grow. Some pups grow faster and reach adult size at an early age while others grow slower and take longer.

German Shepherds are a medium sized breed and aren't the best breed selection for someone looking for a large breed dog. Your boy is quite handsome and I look forward to seeing his pictures as he matures.

#4 ·
5 to 7 months was the period when I just couldn't seem to feed my pup enough to keep her from looking like I was STARVING her!

So, your pup is still growing rapidly, and will probably (just guessing!) be in the 70 to 80 lb. range when fully mature. They generally reach their full height by 9 or 10 months, when the growth plates of the long bones fuse, but will continue to fill out for at least another year.

#6 ·
(Slowly coming out of the corner I’ve been hiding in).

In my experience with GSD bred locally, they do actually have issues with hips and elbows, and most are insane, ramped up, foaming at the mouth on a leash trying to get to other dogs. BYB’s is the only option locally, and I live in a predominantly Hispanic town, and they have the mentality that dogs are dogs, and they want huge ones to protect their property. Same with the breed that shall not be named. So if a large GSD is found with temperament issues, it’s breed over and over again to not only get that oversized dog, but to get that unpredictable temperament. They are normally staked in a yard, dragging around a heavy chain with a padlock on it as the “collar.”

Maybe I should have specified that the problems I see are local.

#7 ·
Don’t worry about it. It just sounds like he won’t be giant or he’s about to go through a growth spurt. My girl was 50 pounds at that age and she’s now 70 and 27 inches. And large GSD’s aren’t necessarily riddled with issues.. My girl had the largest father I’ve ever seen. But with the best genetics (not a carrier for a single thing after being tested) ever. I was extremely hesitant when I first saw the sire’s size but of course stupidly immediately fell in love with my puppy. The sire’s temperament was insane as well. I’ve never seen such a good obedient calm GSD who could get hyped up when required

#8 ·
At this age their growth is kind of all over the place so I don't think any of the guestimates or calculators can give you an accurate idea. 50lbs at 5 months sounds like a good typical weight so I would not worry at all. My dog is 5.5 months...I have no idea what he weighs now but he was like 42lbs I think at his 16 week vet appt. Judging on his known genetics I am expecting a within standard GSD. His sire is just over 25 inches and about 84lbs in shape for the field weight.

My 2 year old Valor is 27.5 inches (which is over standard but he is a pretty physically balanced dog) I put effort into keeping him at 96lbs. That is his in trim and great shape weight. He just turned 2, so he may put on a bit more bone and muscle. Who knows. I do know that 1 week before turning 6 months old (when I got him) he was like 67lbs.

I had another GSD that was about 75 lbs until he was close to 3. His chest dropped (broadened) later in life. He topped out at like 88 or 90lbs. He was on the lighter standard side for a male until later age 2.5. He finished on the heavier side of standard.

He looks like a good strong 5 month old. Don't worry about anything but that.

#9 ·
Wow I didn't expect u guys to misunderstand me like this lol ? In all honesty i dont care what size he turns out to be My previous GSD female topped around 62lbs but was Large enough Intimidating enough anddd loveable enough for me! The new guy's a male his weight gain is fine His structure looks fine He's happy n healthy so am sure he'll grow into a nice doggo when he matures ?
As for this post the title says '5 mos old pups' I simply wanted to see how other pups looked like and progressed at this age nothing else It was supposed to be more of a update and fun thread so sorry for any misunderstanding
I asked about the dad cause I really fell in love with him lol
Some1 mentioned buying Shiloh sheperds or other breeds if am specifically looking for large breed dogs but that's not the case... In my country not many breeds are awailable the most common being (large/medium) GSDs, Rottweilers, Goldies, Labs, Great Danes, Dobermanes... And goin by that since i wanted more of a protection dog and ofc cause am in love with the breed I got a GSD...
Also have to mention I'd prefer him to be larger cause his temparent isn't that great honestly so kinda hoping size would overcome that lol (Jk jk) ?

#10 ·
As I read through your post and all the replies, I thought the same thing. The OP had no mention that they were worried about his size.

It’s funny how people with smaller GSDs jump to the conclusion to defend smaller size or discredit larger size. (BTW large size does not = temperament issues).

So to actually answer your question, my last guy was 50lbs at 5 months. He settles in at 65-70lbs. People thought he was a one year old puppy until he died.

Nice looking pup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11 ·
I did clarify that the issues with the large GSD’s are local to me, bred from crap temperaments and large size intentionally.

My 5.5 month old GSD was 46lbs at her last appt last week. Not sure on height, haven’t measured her. She’s also a black shepherd. The vet seems to think she will be the largest out of our brood, but both her parent are on the smaller size, and the vet based it off the size of her paws, which has never correlated to large size in my experience. Mine still looks like a puppy, yours looks so grown up already!

My Belgian Mal is 10.5 months and 43 lbs. He’s shorter and smaller than my 5.5 month GSD.

My adults are probably not good indicators of proper breed size. These were rescues, one with a shady past. But anyway, at her fit weight, my 9yr old holds at 55lbs. Now that she is older and slower, she’s up to 67lbs and we are working on weight loss. My GSD/Husky mix is exactly 55lbs, again, breed poorly, and no clue on height.

As for @Frisco19, I don’t mind one bit that mine are smaller, nor do I mind one bit if others are larger, I have no complex about my small guys. And I have no issue with a properly breed GSD being larger. If you had read my second post, you would see the issues locally that come with the large bred GSD’s. And these are far out of breed standard. 120+ being the norm, with a piss poor aggressive personality intentionally bred into them.

#12 ·
I did read your second post and the complete thread. My comment was a generalization and you did immediately “go there”, which was my point. All good and understood. The comment about large = temperament issues got my attention as well as the Hispanic generalization as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
Why wouldn’t I speak up as one with smaller sized when you were talking about smaller sized ones?

As for the Hispanic generalizations, do you have a point? Or did you just throw that out there to see who would bite on that one too? Our town is located near (15 minute drive) two major ports of entry. It’s not unusual that our town is predominantly Hispanic. And growing up in this town, I’ve learned through interactions with many friends and their families, that they consider dogs just to be dogs, and to serve a purpose, in this case, guarding their yards. Chains and padlocks are common place here as collar and leads. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. Both the predominance of the Hispanic community here, as well as the view on dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.