Training (13 weeks) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

My pup is currently 13 weeks old and I wanted to ask some questions regarding training.

I have been told by several people that I should look into getting my dog trained privately or professionally. I have been working with my pup and I feel like he is going great.

He is being crated and has not had an potty accidents for the last 3-4 weeks. He is sleeping through the night, no issues crying and barking.

He is very nippy right now, but I understand that he is teething and I have been correcting him and directing him to his chew toys. He sometimes jumps and will try to bite arms, legs and faces. When walking he will bite and pull on the leash. I have been stopping him and just trying to calm him before continuing. It’s usually when I get home and he really excited. When I leave for the day he always knocks his water bowl over. I feel like people see or hear this and they think he needs the professional training. I just see it as a puppy being a puppy.

I feel as though over time he will learn and adapt. I am working with him, but I am also letting him be a puppy. I just have a lot of people telling me to bring him to professional trainers or do a board and train. I just wanted to get some opinions about it.

Anyone have any experience with trainers etc. Do these seem like minor issues that will go away as he grows?

Everyone on this site has helped me since I got him and I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Steve180; Today at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 01:12 PM
Master Member

Iím a novice myself. But if thatís what it takes to require some professional training, then someone help me because my dog is a demon.

Baby gate? Oh, you mean a fun agility jump!

Water bowls? No, no. Those are for tipping over and carrying around the house because the water isnít to my liking.

Doors... ? Sorry, what are those supposed to do... ? Keep dogs out? WHAT? I just open them!

And my dog is two, lol... sheís the best snuggle bug and settles just fine in the house. But she certainly isnít the picture perfect house dog and Iím fine with that. Iím the one who has to live with her. Lots of what youíre experiencing is definitely normal and explorative for pups IMO. All young animals, humans included, are physically interactive with their environment to learn.

Some people just expect dogs to be these sleepy little fluff balls that donít test boundaries. There are plenty like that and theyíre lovely dogs. Theyíre just not German Shepherds for the most part

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your post. I feel the same way. I’ve just been having a lot of people tell me to get him professionally trained and do it soon. I just feel like he is being a puppy and overtime he’ll adjust perfectly to our house and lifestyle. I feel like the biting and jumping will go away with time along with the jumping biting and pulling the leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 01:56 PM
Master Member

Buy the book, "Purely Positive Training" by Sheila Booth. It will teach you all about operant learning principles and how to apply them in training your dog for competition obedience, schutzhund, agility or companion. I believe a dog needs to be trained using all four pillars of operant learning including positive and negative punishment, but this book is more about teaching a pup how to learn and not using punishment for behaviors it hasn't learned yet. It is not just about training obedience and covers many aspects of bonding with your dog and having a healthy relationship while teaching the dog to be the type of dog you want without conflict. When someone else trains your dog, you are not building a relationship with him and you never grow as a dog handler.
Kyrielle likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve180 View Post
Hey everyone,

My pup is currently 13 weeks old and I wanted to ask some questions regarding training.

I have been told by several people that I should look into getting my dog trained privately or professionally. I have been working with my pup and I feel like he is going great.

He is being crated and has not had an potty accidents for the last 3-4 weeks. He is sleeping through the night, no issues crying and barking.

He is very nippy right now, but I understand that he is teething and I have been correcting him and directing him to his chew toys. He sometimes jumps and will try to bite arms, legs and faces. When walking he will bite and pull on the leash. I have been stopping him and just trying to calm him before continuing. It’s usually when I get home and he really excited. When I leave for the day he always knocks his water bowl over. I feel like people see or hear this and they think he needs the professional training. I just see it as a puppy being a puppy.

I feel as though over time he will learn and adapt. I am working with him, but I am also letting him be a puppy. I just have a lot of people telling me to bring him to professional trainers or do a board and train. I just wanted to get some opinions about it.

Anyone have any experience with trainers etc. Do these seem like minor issues that will go away as he grows?

Everyone on this site has helped me since I got him and I really appreciate it!
You're fine for the most part. And your instincts are absolutely correct. This is all very normal behavior for a GSD puppy.

Have you taught him to sit? If not, now's the time. It's super easy to do.

When he jumps up or tackles his leash, see if you can get him to sit. When he jumps and bites, make him sit instead before engaging with a toy to work out the biting (gentle tug is great--works out that desire to bite and yank in a responsible manner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve180 View Post
Thanks for your post. I feel the same way. I’ve just been having a lot of people tell me to get him professionally trained and do it soon. I just feel like he is being a puppy and overtime he’ll adjust perfectly to our house and lifestyle. I feel like the biting and jumping will go away with time along with the jumping biting and pulling the leash.
It'll stop so long as you continue to gently enforce and apply boundaries and house rules. It'll click eventually.

I really don't think you need professional training, and I don't think your puppy is in trouble from what you've said.

Last edited by Kyrielle; Today at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page