Did I handle this the right way? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Did I handle this the right way?

So I walked my 6 month old pup Ragnar to a field which is up the street from where I live he goes here quite often as soon as we entered behind us was a young man and his off leash pitbull, Ive spoken to him a few times and hes ok but I dont really feel comfortable with many pitbulls especially when theyre around other dogs as Im very nervous of them due to a few bad experiences so Ive steered clear of any introductions with my pup but today as they were literally behind us there was no choice. So his dog who was off leash immediatley approached Ragnar, as I was quite nervous I decided to let Ragnar off the lead as didnt want to transfer any bad energy and within about 20 seconds the pitbull was getting up to the side of his face and barking/chasing, I assume trying to dominate him they ran off together but this kept happening and seemed to be escalating . So I said to the owner I wasnt comfortable and didnt want Ragnar to have any negative experiences at this age (he kept saying his dog was fine) so decided to call Ragnar (he came straight away) and exited the field. Despite being somewhat out of my way I then walked him to a nearby park and he did some obedience with him while playing with sticks, which he loves so ended up being a really positive walk. However I am now questioning how I handled it with the other dog and what I could have done differently, I feel abit annoyed with myself that I ended up leaving the place I had planed to go and Ragnar thought he was heading to aswell as abit embarrassed that I probably seemed scarred/nervous . Should I have stayed in the field and allowed the interaction to continue, should I have stayed and tried to go in a different direction or should I have left the second I felt uncomfortable as in as soon as I saw them and not allowed any meeting to have occurred? I'm mainly annoyed as dont want my nervous energy to rub off on Ragnar in any way and want some opinions on whether I handled it ok or if I need to work on how I react to certain breeds. I did feel it was really escalating and didnt like the vibe of the dog though not just because of its breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Master Member

I think you did things pretty well. It was wise to leave when you did. I might have left as soon as I saw the off leash dog, but then again, you can’t always protect your dog from everything, at least in my opinion. Besides, that dog may have been perfectly well behaved. Turns out he wasn’t, and now you know that your gut was correct. I also think you made a good choice in letting your dog off leash as well. Leashes can cause even more issues and frustration.

Nothing horrible happened, and in my opinion, you handled it just fine. Please try not to stress over it. Your boy sounds like he got over it right away!
Sabis mom likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Good decision

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

I think you handled this well. There were on occasion times I dropped the leash with my dogs and they were in situations where they were not at risk getting hit by cars. The times I dropped the leash diffused situations it is good you followed your instincts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

I think you did great. There was no need for some "stand your ground" stuff. All came out well, the dogs seem to have got along fine, no human arguments. No blood, no tears. And for "the place we intended to go" phoey on that thought. Plan 'B' is always good to keep around and use when prudent. You were uncomfortable, you handled it well by letting your dog go unleashed. When you got the "this may be enough" you acted on it. I hope you praised your dog for being such a good boy when he came to you and left his new pal.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

You & your dog did fine. I would not have handled it the same as I tend to to be very firm with telling the other dog owner to "get their dog". When they say their dog is "friendly" I make it known that doesn't mean I am ok with it. If they go & get their dog, I thank them & let them know that 1 of my dogs was attacked by an off-leash dog in the past. If they don't, I will usually go away & call animal control at the same time. I do allow my dog to be off leash, but as soon as I know there is another person or dog around, I leash him. I realize that not all people are comfortable with an off leash dog & I want to be a good ambassador for dog owners.
car2ner and JonRob like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Master Member

I thought you did great, and you are braver than me!

I would have turned around and just left. Part of it is my dog’s personality though...he is quick to correct, and any dog he does not know well who jumps on him or is too much in his face, will get a growl and a snap to teach him ‘manners’. This can escalate if he scares the other dog, and it scares other dog owners. He is just not social and easygoing. So, I guess it depends on your dog’s personality...you know best how they react.
JonRob likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb123456 View Post
So I walked my 6 month old pup Ragnar to a field which is up the street from where I live he goes here quite often as soon as we entered behind us was a young man and his off leash pitbull, Ive spoken to him a few times and hes ok but I dont really feel comfortable with many pitbulls especially when theyre around other dogs as Im very nervous of them due to a few bad experiences so Ive steered clear of any introductions with my pup but today as they were literally behind us there was no choice. So his dog who was off leash immediatley approached Ragnar, as I was quite nervous I decided to let Ragnar off the lead as didnt want to transfer any bad energy and within about 20 seconds the pitbull was getting up to the side of his face and barking/chasing, I assume trying to dominate him they ran off together but this kept happening and seemed to be escalating . So I said to the owner I wasnt comfortable and didnt want Ragnar to have any negative experiences at this age (he kept saying his dog was fine) so decided to call Ragnar (he came straight away) and exited the field. Despite being somewhat out of my way I then walked him to a nearby park and he did some obedience with him while playing with sticks, which he loves so ended up being a really positive walk. However I am now questioning how I handled it with the other dog and what I could have done differently, I feel abit annoyed with myself that I ended up leaving the place I had planed to go and Ragnar thought he was heading to aswell as abit embarrassed that I probably seemed scarred/nervous . Should I have stayed in the field and allowed the interaction to continue, should I have stayed and tried to go in a different direction or should I have left the second I felt uncomfortable as in as soon as I saw them and not allowed any meeting to have occurred? I'm mainly annoyed as dont want my nervous energy to rub off on Ragnar in any way and want some opinions on whether I handled it ok or if I need to work on how I react to certain breeds. I did feel it was really escalating and didnt like the vibe of the dog though not just because of its breed.

Trust your gut. It sounds like you did the right thing in getting out of there before there was an altercation. Your pup is 6 months old, and an altercation at this point could be seriously long-term. And, it could have been started by either dog.

Whenever you are worried about how you are being perceived by another dog owner, take the blame on yourself -- "I don't want my dog to get the idea that he can play when we are out on a walk." or "I don't trust him off-lead yet." No shame in any of that. But it is up to you to protect your puppy. You did today. Why question it?
JonRob likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 06:21 AM

When our gut feels something is wrong, most often it is.

I had an incident yesterday; I had just come back from a walk and a group of young children with their parents were across the road. The children were cooing over my dog from a distance and one asked if she could come and stroke my dog.

Normally I don't have a problem and I always instruct them on how to approach the dog and what to do and what not to do.

However in this instance, my gut feeling was to not let this child approach, so I firmly told her no and took my dog into the house.

I went with my gut feeling, didn't care if I seemed rude to other people.

Trust your gut always, you did nothing wrong.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
JonRob likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb123456 View Post
should I have left the second I felt uncomfortable as in as soon as I saw them and not allowed any meeting to have occurred?
Yes, that is exactly what you should have done.

Your dog--and you--are very lucky. Both of you could have been seriously mauled or even killed if the other dog got ugly. And anyone who has worked with dogs knows this can happen in a split second. It's not worth the risk.

Always, always trust your gut, and act immediately to do what your gut tells you to do.

There's a thread here that concerns threats to people but it applies just as well to threats to dogs:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...hreat-not.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in