Full blooded shepherd babies? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:15 AM
Crowned Member

They look mixed to me, but at this age, no way to tell as others have said. I see no reason to spay the bitch, the owner should just be more careful. If your intentions were to breed your bitch, she can still have puppies down the line that are purebred. If that was your intention, keeping a pup out of this litter would not be a good idea.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

If you want to see what the face of a young purebred GSD pup looks like, go here:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-new-baby.html

I think it's pretty obvious mom got herself impregnated by a male with a short, broad face, maybe a boxer, mastiff or one of the bully breeds.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM

From the OPs posts, it looks like Xena is roughly 18 month old, so probably got pregnant on her second heat cycle.

Some of those pups look pure but are likely mixes, maybe there were two fathers or if Dad was mixed with shepherd, likely some pups will look almost purebred. They are very young, many tiny pups have nose wrinkles at that age, you won't know what they will look like for quite a while- consider them mixes absolutely.

I've bred dogs (intentionally) and the tie alone always took at least 15- 20 minutes, sometimes 30- 45 (longest was 45 min) so she was probably gone for more than half an hour. The flirtation takes quite a while, too, generally. So it's not so super quick, at least not in my experience.

Live and learn, once the pups are weaned and Mom is back in good shape, get her spayed (about 3-4 months post heat cycle is optimal).
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

If she has been gone to be bred for only one hour it is unlikely that there are two fathers involved. They barely had enough time to get tied in that case. Plus you would have heard the fight probably. Let's say she mated with two dogs. Then the first one's sperm most likely fertilized all available eggs before the other soldiers arrived. So I think, based on the short time she was gone, it is most likely one sire. Also who sires the most illegal litters in this country? The breed that is not mentionable here; not the Rhodesian Ridge Back or Boxer mixes
Keep us posted on their development.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Wolfy, new motherís can lose their hair. Iíve seen nursing mothers that look scrawny but are actually very healthy.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Crowned Member

Look to the dogs that are most common in the area. And what most of the pups people get around you look like.

When I first looked at the pictures my immediate thought was mastiff or Dane, but if there are none around then that is unlikely.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
If you keep a male, you should make sure you neuter him. If mom is THAT determined to have pups, the last thing you want is for her to be mating with her son!!

I think the pups are mixed. They all have wrinkles on their muzzles, which is not something you see in purebred shepherds.
And get the mother spayed also. She should have been spayed as soon as she got out while in heat. I hope all these "great" homes the OP has lined up don't end up changing their minds, or returning after a few weeks of puppy poop/pee and keeping them up all night.

I agree they look like mixes!

BigBlackDog

The "great" homes are actually great. All have raised big dogs
.. and knowing how much time/care GS need- I wouldn't place them unless I knew they would get that.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
What do the free-roaming males in your area look like? BTW: is this picture from your female a recent one? How old are the pups now and how old is he? She looks young. Her coat doesn't look that great in the picture. Make sure she gets a really good diet. What do you feed her? The pups look nice. How many?

My female is almost 2 years, definitely did not want her breeding this young. She is on an all raw diet (muscle meat/bones/offal/egg/liver/coconut oil) daily. This is the worst she's looked, but I've been told by a breeder that this can be normal. She was checked out by a vet after the birth as well.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

Yup, they often don't look their best when nursing puppies! I remember a friend having to sneak mom out to have a pee after her pups had gone to their new homes. I KNOW the family had taken the best care possible of Mom, but she had lost almost all her coat, and looked just wretched!

They didn't want the new owners seeing her in that condition, and I don't blame them!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much for your input. They are mixed no matter, but like I said- more curious than anything. We tried being careful, but she slipped past anyways. I had a Male ready for a later time but this is it for her. I didn't want her mating young 😭
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in