Pyometra in 11 month old GSD puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 2 Post By Saco

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Pyometra in 11 month old GSD puppy

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been too active.
Weve recently had a prolonged season with our lovely Bailey who is just turning 11 months in a few weeks.
We had to rush her in to the vets surgery due to being called in as she started to smell.
It turned out she had early Pyometra, but the vet said he had seen nothing like it in all his years of surgery. They also had to remove everything due to everything crumbling away. Her wound is really bad and she's feeling so sorry for herself.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Should I go back to the breeder and ask questions as we paid top money for her champion blood line.
2. Because the vet has taken everything out. Can we be relieved and think that nothing else should be wrong in that department now, or is there still risks?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190611_211928_1560503874963.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	522215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190611_174609_1560503893319.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	522217  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Crowned Member

.In regards to the breeder you should talk to her and let her know what happened if she had has had dogs with pyo. One of the causes of pyo is believed to be linked to bacteria. Pyo is not uncommon in females that are not being bred. It often happens in older females but it can happen in young females. Im glad she is doing well and sounds like the worst is over. I would not think you will have further complications but this you need to talk about that with your vet. Wishing your beautiful girl a speedy recovery.
car2ner likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Pyometra has nothing to do with genetics. You could notify your breeder but basically you have a living, breathing, creature and there are risks with that.

If you have any questions, you should definitely contact your vet.
Jenny720 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 AM

I think pyo has a genetic component because some breeds tend to be more prone to it? More info here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...2001.tb01587.x

I'd let the breeder know, but in this case, it seems that maybe there was a congenital abnormality that was random (likely not genetic). Dogs aren't machines, and breeders aren't able to prevent or predict everything.
Jax08 and Jenny720 like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

It is possible. I have heard genetics possible but not proven nor could it be used against a breeder. It could be a reason or just a congenital defect as Saco mentioned or non defect just timing and introduction to certain bacteria, structure or ph levels trouble regulating that may make infections more susceptible, Immune system not may function at full capacity. I would think the breeder would want to know -if she has had many young females with pyo in the past or if she starts to see this could be a link as to a possible why and good information for the breeder or information that is not relevant at all but still good for them to know .

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-14-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page