Are GSDs the worst puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Are GSDs the worst puppies

Jupiter, at 7 months is our first GSD and has become a lovely dog. Very playful and affectionate with me, hardly ever biting anymore, and he has been much nicer to wife and daughter. He has also become socially adept, meeting dogs at the dog park appropriately, backing off when dogs yelp or snap at him, playing nicely with the occasional compatible playmate, but mostly chasing the ball. When he meets people, he's not very interested, but he allows them to put him and puts them at ease while not being overly pet-hungry.

But all of this is so different from when he was younger! I mean, he bit the heck out of us! This is a dog that has been in training since day 1, and he has gone through Puppy obedience, obedience 1, obedience 2. I hand feed him most of his meals and most of those, I train him using his kibble. He knows about 30 commands and has been the standout pupil in every training classes. I have always exercised him _at least_ twice a day, sometimes three. Walks, ball chasing, flirt stick, dog park, you name it.

When he was younger, he bit us constantly, despite us using all the normal methods and tricks. He was 10 weeks old, too, when we got him. He also had very bitey, chasey, and "aggressive" instincts when he was younger that caused our whole family a lot of grief and uncertainty.

Now? Great. The last month or two, there has been a startling change. He is calm and happy and mild (if not obedient). Before? Oh my... there were many times I wondered if I, having had three dogs before, had bitten off too much with this breed.

Anyone had a more difficult puppy than a GSD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Sounds like a perfectly normal GSD puppy to me.
tc68 and CactusWren like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

Malinois puppies are worse. Mals seem to magnify all the most loonie traits of GSDs by an order of magnitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Agrees with Magwart!
Attached Images

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Are they the worst? Not even close! I don't even understand why people think they are difficult.

My Dane was a short trip to a hot place for 18 months, most of the bully types I've raised have been awful, Heelers are something else, Terriers in general are fascinatingly terrifying.
Shepherd puppies are land sharky but generally not overly destructive or really mean. A 4 month old Dane or Mastiff is as big as an adult shepherd, they don't eat your shoes they eat your couch. Heelers seem to have a thing for drywall and if you think GSD's bite Heelers are out for blood. My skin is not as tough as a cows. Terriers as a group seem intent on living up to stereotypes as pups. I've had several end up in floors and they like to pretend your hands are vermin. Give me a nice bitey, chasy GSD pup any day!
sebrench and CactusWren like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I helped raise a pointer puppy that was 100x more annoying than every GSD puppy that I've ever had hands on.

IMO the screwball behavior of SOME (not all) field bred bird dogs is a level all its own. I enjoy GSD puppies, I did not enjoy the pointer.

Yes, there was less mouthiness, but the lack of natural engagement, total deafness to the rest of the world when crittering, some dirty behavior, lack of off-switch, and blank zombie stares are not my cup of tea. Give me the landsharks lol.
Sabis mom, sebrench and CactusWren like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 PM

My Doberman, Tess, was the worst puppy I’ve ever had. Ever. She did the dumbest stuff too. There is a joke among Dobe people that your puppy doesn’t arrive with brains, those come much later. Tess turned out to be one of the best dogs in spite of herself.
Sabis mom and CactusWren like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM

This is based off of my minimal experience raising puppies. I've raised 2, and the first was a Westie. This is in comparison to the Westie.

Some aspects are significantly worse. Some are significantly better.

Worse:

- Biting
- Sensitivity to energy level imbalances (i.e. puppy is mentally tired but physically bouncing off the walls, or puppy is physically tired and mentally bouncing off the walls)
- Crittering
- Herding and nipping

Better:

- Destructive tendencies - chewing on stuff
- Natural understanding of the concept of "private property" (i.e. "This is mine and that is yours.")
- General ease in teaching the rules of the house
- Housebreaking
- Not hanging on to pants legs...
CactusWren likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I helped raise a pointer puppy that was 100x more annoying than every GSD puppy that I've ever had hands on.

IMO the screwball behavior of SOME (not all) field bred bird dogs is a level all its own. I enjoy GSD puppies, I did not enjoy the pointer.

Yes, there was less mouthiness, but the lack of natural engagement, total deafness to the rest of the world when crittering, some dirty behavior, lack of off-switch, and blank zombie stares are not my cup of tea. Give me the landsharks lol.
AW! My daughter's BF has a GSP. He is the sweetest dog. Very smart. Good with commands and tricks. He does have an off switch, but you're right, it's hard to get him to that point. He could swim, fetch, run all day and still go. Of course, I'm the screwball who likes the quirkiness in every dog. I love his soft mouth. And, to be clear, I did not know this dog as a puppy. LOL!
CactusWren likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
AW! My daughter's BF has a GSP. He is the sweetest dog. Very smart. Good with commands and tricks. He does have an off switch, but you're right, it's hard to get him to that point. He could swim, fetch, run all day and still go. Of course, I'm the screwball who likes the quirkiness in every dog. I love his soft mouth. And, to be clear, I did not know this dog as a puppy. LOL!
Ha! She's matured into a sweet dog that suits her owners - she doesn't have an aggressive or protective bone in her body - just not my cup of tea.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page