Are GSDs the worst puppies - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 PM

My GSD experience has been lovely, every land shark minute of it. You know exactly what you’re getting with the breed. My worst puppy? A golden. I had my GSD (Rossi, who past years and years ago), and my ex husband always wanted a golden as a hunting companion. Did my research, found what I though was a wonderful breeder, got her AKC paperwork, breeder agreed to keep her an additional 3 weeks until my ex’s birthday. He loved the gift, until he realized that she was never going to get any larger. Seemed more like a corgi/golden. She was super short. And chewed on EVERYTHING. We divorced when she was 1yr old. I took my GSD, and he kept the Golden, for two weeks. Called and said he worked to much for her, and asked if I could take her. Sucker that I am, I said yes. She had been with me for a week, managed to chew out of her metal crate, and proceeded to eat all the drywall off the laundry room walls, as far up as she could reach. In my brand new house. During the 2 hour time frame I was grocery shopping. After getting her checked at the vet, I decided it was time to rehome her. I never bonded with her, and my ex obviously did very little with her, and I never wanted a golden to begin with. Rehoming her was the best decision I made, because I never could love or bond with her, so I just went through the motions.

She went to a family that kept in touch, and she finally got the life she should have had. Even though they had to do an emergency surgery on her when she was 4 for an obstruction. 7 rocks, countless socks, and a pair of panty hose. I’d take a GSD, an Australian Shepherd, and a Mal all at the same time before I ever considered getting another golden!
Clare, Sabis mom and CactusWren like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Master Member

I dunno...from what I've read, the husky puppies could give the GSD pups some competition...
they are also bitey and active, and in addition to that, they seem to be huge hole diggers, escape artists and destroyers of drywall, furniture and doors.
Some of them have insane exercise needs...
And they are harder to train (more independent and less obedient by nature)!

(not from personal experience...got my gsd/husky when he was 5, so he's been easy :-)
Kyrielle and CactusWren like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
My Dane was a short trip to a hot place for 18 months
ha ha! :-D

My Dane pup was a sweet submissive girl, very easy in that regard. BUT she never learned that I didn't want her to jump up on people. And, 72 repetitions to learn "Sit" and I stopped counting...?
Rumo my GSD/husky is like Einstein compared to her...learns everything I want him to do seemingly by mental telepathy...
Sabis mom and JaxsMom like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

In my experience, yes.
However, they are the BEST dogs, bar none.
Everything you go through with a young GSD is repaid a thousandfold when the dog matures.
I donít even have to talk to Hans now. I give him a look, and he knows what I want. Iíll never forget how difficult it was for me when he was a puppy, and looking at the dog he is now, I shake my head and laugh. How could this be the same dog?
Having raised a GSD is being in a special club. We are darned proud of ourselves because we did it, and only other GSD owners truly understand.
Clare and JaxsMom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Malinois puppies are worse. Mals seem to magnify all the most loonie traits of GSDs by an order of magnitude.
Wow. I saw these two malinois chasing a ball. One was so hyper it would literally run circles around the other one while waiting for the next throw. Pogo legs.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Are they the worst? Not even close! I don't even understand why people think they are difficult.

My Dane was a short trip to a hot place for 18 months, most of the bully types I've raised have been awful, Heelers are something else, Terriers in general are fascinatingly terrifying.
Shepherd puppies are land sharky but generally not overly destructive or really mean. A 4 month old Dane or Mastiff is as big as an adult shepherd, they don't eat your shoes they eat your couch. Heelers seem to have a thing for drywall and if you think GSD's bite Heelers are out for blood. My skin is not as tough as a cows. Terriers as a group seem intent on living up to stereotypes as pups. I've had several end up in floors and they like to pretend your hands are vermin. Give me a nice bitey, chasy GSD pup any day!
Well, I'd never have a terrier and don't understand why anyone would.

Speaking of blood, believe me, I've shed some. I will say this, Jupiter has hardly destroyed anything--he hasn't torn up any furniture, drywall, or shoes. Scratched up a few things, but not bad.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I helped raise a pointer puppy that was 100x more annoying than every GSD puppy that I've ever had hands on.

IMO the screwball behavior of SOME (not all) field bred bird dogs is a level all its own. I enjoy GSD puppies, I did not enjoy the pointer.

Yes, there was less mouthiness, but the lack of natural engagement, total deafness to the rest of the world when crittering, some dirty behavior, lack of off-switch, and blank zombie stares are not my cup of tea. Give me the landsharks lol.
There's this one pointer at the dog park that just sits by the fence and watches the rabbits outside the whole time it's there, completely oblivious to its owner and all the dogs playing. Very weird!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
My GSD experience has been lovely, every land shark minute of it. You know exactly what youíre getting with the breed. My worst puppy? A golden. I had my GSD (Rossi, who past years and years ago), and my ex husband always wanted a golden as a hunting companion. Did my research, found what I though was a wonderful breeder, got her AKC paperwork, breeder agreed to keep her an additional 3 weeks until my exís birthday. He loved the gift, until he realized that she was never going to get any larger. Seemed more like a corgi/golden. She was super short. And chewed on EVERYTHING. We divorced when she was 1yr old. I took my GSD, and he kept the Golden, for two weeks. Called and said he worked to much for her, and asked if I could take her. Sucker that I am, I said yes. She had been with me for a week, managed to chew out of her metal crate, and proceeded to eat all the drywall off the laundry room walls, as far up as she could reach. In my brand new house. During the 2 hour time frame I was grocery shopping. After getting her checked at the vet, I decided it was time to rehome her. I never bonded with her, and my ex obviously did very little with her, and I never wanted a golden to begin with. Rehoming her was the best decision I made, because I never could love or bond with her, so I just went through the motions.

She went to a family that kept in touch, and she finally got the life she should have had. Even though they had to do an emergency surgery on her when she was 4 for an obstruction. 7 rocks, countless socks, and a pair of panty hose. Iíd take a GSD, an Australian Shepherd, and a Mal all at the same time before I ever considered getting another golden!
Neither of my Goldens were anything like this. I don't recall my puppy even biting me once (it did nip my wife's hand once or twice, which I remember because it was so out of character). We did lose a bit of molding and some couch with the first pup, and the second one will occasionally execute one of my daughter's stuffies, but none of the other. Sounds like you got a lemon, unfortunately. Goldens are a solid breed.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
I dunno...from what I've read, the husky puppies could give the GSD pups some competition...
they are also bitey and active, and in addition to that, they seem to be huge hole diggers, escape artists and destroyers of drywall, furniture and doors.
Some of them have insane exercise needs...
And they are harder to train (more independent and less obedient by nature)!

(not from personal experience...got my gsd/husky when he was 5, so he's been easy :-)
Our husky pup was fine, not very destructive, but it did rack up a certain body count of small animals that came into the yard. However, she wasn't trainable, nor particularly friendly.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 AM
Crowned Member

They sure can be Max was my most challenging pup and taught a lot. I have to say Luna was a lot easier. They really do turn out to be more then amazing animals when everything connects with patience and time and always a lot moving forward and stepping backward. Myself and my kids are all reaping the rewards. As though sunflowers said though there is proudness when you get through the aftermath that can only be understood by gsd owners- I love that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page