Puppy dandruff and rashes - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Puppy dandruff and rashes

Am sorry if this is not the correct section for this Q guys but I couldn't find another one 😅 So the thing is my pup always seemed to be prone to rashes/( or is dandruff..?) and when he came to us he was scratching like crazy but that turned out to be cause of ticks n the scratching is almost non existent now... But he had these bumps and sores visibly on his elbows (pic attached) and the breeder recommended Turmeric with Kohoba oil and it worked amazingly But he still has like dandruff in some places like under the tail, arms, armpits and hair seems thin around there too.. its getting very tiring applying tht ointment...
Can some1 plz suggest smthin fr this..? I feel really sorry for the pup its most likely due to the climate its supeeeer hot these days but there's nothing we cn do abt it... 😞
Also he turns 4mos on Fri thas him now 😄
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190505-WA0010_1560432134108.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	522171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190611_123934_1560432179063.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	522173  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

First of all, what are you feeding?

Hans had dandruff as a puppy, and the vet recommended evening primrose oil. It worked quite well, and can’t hurt anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Salmon oil is also really good for skin and coat health.My husband's little dog had skin and fur issues when he first adopted her.After two weeks of adding the oil to her food there was a definite improvement.After two months her skin was clear and her fur was shiny.
Thecowboysgirl and LRP like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
First of all, what are you feeding?

Hans had dandruff as a puppy, and the vet recommended evening primrose oil. It worked quite well, and can’t hurt anything.
He has milk/kibble in the morning then his 1st rice which has meat items like chicken breast, fish, eggs, liver etc.. Depending on the day and veggies like pumpkin, carrot, potato (again a mixture depending on thr day) thn a yoghurt in the evening n 2nd rice at night... The ointment works well fr him but there's jzt no end to this dandruff... 😞
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

And a quick Q how often cn i bath him..? He has had like 3 baths so far since we gt him at 6 weeks which i believe is too much but the climate here is jzt so bad 😞
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
And a quick Q how often cn i bath him..? He has had like 3 baths so far since we gt him at 6 weeks which i believe is too much but the climate here is jzt so bad 😞
I have bathed my male twice in the 6 months I have owned him. There skin is very sensitive and can get very dry/itchy. The less you bath the better, only bath them if they are dirty. I also recommend the salmon oil. I have been giving it to both my puppies since day one, they both were very dry and itchy when we got them and they both have nice healthy coats/skin now. I just add it to there breakfast.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

He is cute is there anything he may lying that may be irritating such as fertilized grass. Salmon oil, coconut oil will help and skin dryness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thx guys I will look into the salmon oil and coconut oil 🙂 Also the Vet recommended using an Anti dandruff shampoo when bathing him which i haven't used yet but is tht Ok?
As for his hygiene @Jenny720 he's a very naughty pup rolls in mud, plays in the rain, etc etc 🤢 We try to clean him as much as possible and he's brushed daily but with the weather n all its all prolly affecting his skin... 🙄
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:39 AM
Crowned Member

A dirty pup is a pup that is having fun lol! If gets worse and no better- severely itchy skin and loosing weight and hair loss in that area can be a sign of sarcoptic mange- that would be worse care scenario but be cleared up fairly quickly most often skin scrapings are negative. . Cytovet is a great shampoo you can for troubled skin. I had used phytovet c and you can get often at your vet’s office. Not sure for use in pups just check. Really good stuff. Wondercide has nice gentle natural shampoo bars also.
https://www.amazon.com/Henry-Schein-.../dp/B018ZUAEAM

https://www.amazon.com/PhytoVet-4-Sh...gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.wondercide.com/natural-s...s/dog-dandruff

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-14-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
He has milk/kibble in the morning then his 1st rice which has meat items like chicken breast, fish, eggs, liver etc.. Depending on the day and veggies like pumpkin, carrot, potato (again a mixture depending on thr day) thn a yoghurt in the evening n 2nd rice at night... The ointment works well fr him but there's jzt no end to this dandruff... 😞

His meals may not be properly balanced. Puppies do not regulate certain nutrients as effectively as adult dogs so imbalances are noticeable sooner. Rice and potatoes are starchy nutrient poor fillers and pumpkin and carrot tend to be high in sugar. If you want to feed fruits and veggies then choose green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, chard, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, ect.... If you are going to feed a home cooked/prepped meal you need to make sure it is properly balanced especially with a puppy because they are still growing so an imbalanced diet can cause more issues than with an adult.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page