Losing my mind -need landsharking help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Losing my mind -need landsharking help!

So Seiran was given a larger muzzle at her vet appointment on Saturday. It allows her to open her mouth quiet a bit more than her previous muzzle. She is celebrating by biting EVERYTHING. Her current favorite is toes. My step daughters keep forgetting to shut their bedroom doors, so three times she has raced down the stairs choking on panties she’s managed to swallow halfway. She’s attacking (playfully) my younger children, and biting the heck out of them, pulling off their shorts, trying to eat their hair. Basically a typical land shark, but we have no way of redirecting with toys that are okay to chew on, because she isn’t allowed. Her zoomies are through the roof too, and there is nothing I can think of to help her get that energy out. She not fully vaccinated, so walks or short distant runs are out.

I was thinking of closing the doggie door and carrying her out back to the agility course we have setup for our husky, but modify it for her height, but it’s already 100+ and she can’t fully pant, so I’m afraid of overheating her.

Anyone have any suggestions for a muzzled pup that can’t be given toys, treats, or anything mouth wise to help with the land sharking going on? For now I’ve just been giving her verbal commands and removing her from the room until she settles, but that’s not going to work much longer.

We did get to see her with her muzzle off at the vets, and she is going to have a dent in that side of her face according to the vet, and her ears will always be lopsided, which means she will have permanent puppy cross ears (which I think is just adorable), but other than that, she is healing well, but we are still going weekly for checks. The vet thinks the muzzle may need to stay on for an additional 6 weeks, so I need to figure something out quick! And I’ve added a pic of her cute ears because I can’t get enough of them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	204C56CC-E31B-4C8C-A192-8161E95AED71_1560175556384.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	522033  
techinstructor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

Why is she wearing a muzzle?

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

oh man. no advice here. Typically you would redirect and play tug but she has a broken jaw so.....

Is she allowed to chew on things? If so, maybe give her a chew toy instead?

And just a thought to your other conversation about reintroducing - many sport people do not let their dogs interact because they want the dogs to be focused on them instead of other dogs. So she should be very into you as you are her source of ALL things rather than the pack of dogs. It might actually be to your benefit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

oh man. no advice here. Typically you would redirect and play tug but she has a broken jaw so.....

Is she allowed to chew on things? If so, maybe give her a chew toy instead?

And just a thought to your other conversation about reintroducing - many sport people do not let their dogs interact because they want the dogs to be focused on them instead of other dogs. So she should be very into you as you are her source of ALL things rather than the pack of dogs. It might actually be to your benefit.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

This will sure give you that one on one time that can be challenging otherwise with other dogs in the house. Have you talked to the vet in what she was able to do. Some vets feel outings are much more in the pups favor then being cooped up until they get all the vaccines- not in heavily trafficked areas where dogs are of course and this is dependent upon your area though and what virus are going around. You can do some scent work with her that will keep her mind busy either by playing hind and seek or hiding something she would enjoy to drink? Like a bowl of goats milk ,bone broth ,some yogurt or a patae type of treat- I’m not sure what she is allowed to eat but along those lines. There are a lot of puppy tricks you can teach her to keep her brain busy with similar rewards mentioned. Not sure if she is able to chew on a wash cloth soaked in water then put in a freezer till frozen - supervised of course. They have some inexpensive agility equipment like a tunnel or homemade equipment that you may have fun with help her get zoomies out. Work on behaving for grooming , nail trims/dremel etc. All this I think would help keep her mind off her aching gums to a point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Scent work sounds like a great idea, I’ll just have to make sure it’s something big enough she can’t get her mouth around.

She isn’t allowed to use her mouth other than eating her slurry. It’s thinned out so it’s slightly thicker than water. The vet said to discourage all licking other than meal time, and absolutely no chewing. We reward her now with excited tones and good girls, she knows how to sit, stay, and look at me, but I used feeding time to teach her that.

Parvo is an epidemic in our town, so vets advice is strictly our yard only. With her jaw healing, her immune system isn’t going to fight off anything contagious like a healthy pup would. We carry her into the vets office, they take us immediately to a private room that is reserved for her so we don’t have to wait in the lobby with the other pets. They are extremely cautious with her because of all the parvo cases they have come in on a daily basis.

We take her to the front yard for play time in the evenings when it’s cooler, and she knows her boundaries. She tests them occasionally by putting a paw over into the neighbors yard, I tell her “far enough” and she steps right back into our yard with all paws. Other dogs have gone by, the neighbors kids have been in their front yard playing, and she will be alert and watches, but still stays in our yard.

The agility course is separated from the main area of the backyard, and fenced in, so it’s always one on one when I am working with Crios. Hubs stays with Seiran inside and cuddles with her. I suppose I can try her out on it in the evenings when it cools, I’ll just take down the dog walk and teeter totter, I’m afraid she smack her face and make her injury worse. Everything else can be adjusted to her size. It’s just a pain in the butt to size and then resize for Crios, but it’s just my laziness and lack of energy in the evenings preventing me from having tried it already.

I asked the vet for recommendations, and he said he was great at fixing animals, but not great at training them, so the only thing he could come up with was hubs and I rolling a ball back and forth on the ground, without letting Seiran get it, as an altered form of fetch. As you can imagine, that didn’t go over well. She would chase it a few times, then start jumping and biting at our hair and clothes.

I honestly hope she doesn’t have to go another 6 weeks muzzled, because I’m already fraying at the edges! Lyka is still my main focus when the hubs is home, and when he is at work, I just feel guilty all the time because Seiran is time consuming, and I don’t get to spend as much time with Lyka as I want to be.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
Why is she wearing a muzzle?
She fractured her jaw in a freak accident with the doggie door.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
That happened to a pup in the past. He developed a crooked jaw due to damage to the growth area on one side and needed extensive dental work. His permanent teeth were damaged even before teething started and some of them were broken and had to be surgically removed.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Rewards with praise maybe enough for now especially the real boasted praise that make them melt I think Luna prefers that and she loves her treats. She may really enjoy playing hind n seek with her people. Observe how she responds to lavish rewards of praise and hugs in this game if she enjoys that it may be enough for now. This will pass it will. Soon you both with be making up for lost time before you know it.
Jax08 likes this.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
That happened to a pup in the past. He developed a crooked jaw due to damage to the growth area on one side and needed extensive dental work. His permanent teeth were damaged even before teething started and some of them were broken and had to be surgically removed.
Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen to Seiran! Regardless, we will do what is medically necessary with each stage of her recovery.

Just curious, what was the quality of life like as that pup aged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page