6mo GSD drinking water very sloppy? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

For prior dogs - chum bowl or buddy bowl worked wonders. The current duo - still sloshed water with those bowls so "Neater Feeder" became our water bowl. Works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

I have would floors in my kitchen and it is rough on wood floors. luna was the messy drinker as she matured she seemed to be neater. So there may be hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Check his jaws and teeth formation. He may have some issue that are abnormal at his age. That is a typical time to be losing baby teeth -make sure there are not problems with that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

Mine are very messy drinkers, unfortunately. They make special water dishes to reduce spilling. I almost bought one on Amazon once, but changed my mind, so I don't know if they work. For a while I found putting 4-5 inches of water in a big 8-quart stock pot was somewhat helpful. Then I started putting their water outside on the back porch. They tell me when they need to go out, and can make all the mess they want to out there. Problem solved!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESURAIN View Post
I am hoping this is a puppy trait he will grow out of but he is extremely messy with his water bowl.

The floor is literally soaked at all times, and worse after he drinks like every 10 minutes he will walk around the house with a mouth full of slobber dragging it everywhere.

The couch, floor, sometimes walls, his drinking slobber gets all over the place.’how do I make him stop.
This is something you will have to live with, which is why we feed/water our GSD's outdoors. Both my GSD love water and will take any opportunity to play in it, including there water bowls. They splash when they drink and usually walk away with a soaking wet muzzles. They currently have 2 - 3 gallon water jugs, a 30 gallon bin we fill up for them and a kiddie pool to play in. We started off saying if they were wet they couldn't come in the house but it got to be to where we could never be with them... so the new rule is if they are tolerable they can come in but only on the floor and we cover the couch just to keep it clean. These dogs love water and with it being almost 90 here this weekend, I would rather them be wet and happy then dry and miserable.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 PM

You might get lucky and he will grow out of it. My GSD is 9 and still loves to stick his whole face in the water to take a drink. i got him a large automatic waterer with a 5 gallon barrel on top. Heavy enough where he can’t carry it around and the bowl is too shallow for him to stick his face in it. Works great and I only have to fill it up about once a week. I keep a big deep water bucket and kiddy pool outside so he can go for it outside all he wants.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 AM

My puppy is 11 months now. She is still a messy and enthusiastic water drinker, She likes to dig the water out of the bowl or play with the bowl and dump it over. I cleaned up a lot of floods, before I wised up and permanently made her indoor water source a water-filled bucket kept inside of a bath tub in the bathroom. For her outdoor water source, I have 2 locations with a large stainless steel bowl, that I station at the top of an appropriately sized garden pot (with something like rocks in the bottom to weight it down).

I'll probably wait until she is around 2 to try a water bowl on the floor in the house. I've made some bad decisions, thinking she was behaving better with water, only to have her dump a bowl or bucket of water on the floor.
LRP likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Crowned Member

A good friend recommended getting a 4 quart stainless steel pail. Available on Amazon. Fill it to only 1/3.
Problem solved.

That being said, every 10 minutes is not normal. Might want to get that checked.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Last edited by Sunflowers; 06-13-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
My puppy is 11 months now. She is still a messy and enthusiastic water drinker, She likes to dig the water out of the bowl or play with the bowl and dump it over. I cleaned up a lot of floods, before I wised up and permanently made her indoor water source a water-filled bucket kept inside of a bath tub in the bathroom. For her outdoor water source, I have 2 locations with a large stainless steel bowl, that I station at the top of an appropriately sized garden pot (with something like rocks in the bottom to weight it down).

I'll probably wait until she is around 2 to try a water bowl on the floor in the house. I've made some bad decisions, thinking she was behaving better with water, only to have her dump a bowl or bucket of water on the floor.
Our female, professional water dog, does the same thing with our water bowls. We empty the pool at night so she stays dry enough to hang inside with us but she always finds a way to be wet and play with water. All of there water is outside for this exact reason. I can not tell you the amount of times she has come running in the doggy door, soaking wet, to snuggle on the
couch
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Here's an Australian product,

K9 Cruiser non - spill Bowl

The K9 Cruiser Bowl is a proprietary designed anti-spill pet water bowl built with durability and made for a purpose. The unique design of the water bowl discourages dogs from playing with water.

It also ensures that spillage is minimal as water is secured within the cavity of the bowl, yet the water also provides substantial weight so as to prevent the bowl from being overturned by playful dogs or puppies.

Approximately 2.5 litres can be stored within the vacuum walls of the bowl. On average, this amount is more than sufficient to supply the needs of your pet per day regardless of age, size and/or activity, whether at home or on travel. The bowls are 21cm in circumference and 11cm high.

A small opening in the bowl ensures consistent amount of water available for your pets all day long (approximately 20mm in depth) giving consistent supply of fresh and clean water to your pets.

The bowl is made from food grade UV resistant plastic for durability and both the lid and the base can be separated for easy cleaning.

Perfect for dogs who are messy drinkers or like to dig in the water bowl
The Cruiser Bowl is perfect for tradesmen utes because there's always water left after a few hard corners.
The Cruiser Bowl is ideal for those who travel
Also perfect for dogs with long ears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page