German Shepherds Forum banner

what are the chances he will get color

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dovey0805 
#1 ·
hi there i am getting a new german shepherd puppy the 2 dogs are the parents and the 3 are the puppy from all angles haha i read the vent can tell alot so i put that in also any thoughts what color he will be he is 2 weeks in the pics

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
The only color two black and tan parents cannot produce is sable. Black and Bi-color are both recessive to Black and Tan.

Your puppy appears to be black, as others have already mentioned. Both parents look to be blanket black and tan, and likely both carry the black recessive gene, which they both passed on to your pup.

#10 ·
thanks for the input!!!!!!! i had a vision of what i would want my gsd to look like and when i went and seen him for the first time i wont lie i was disappointed he had no color but the more i read on black gsd and the more i visit i am over the moon inlove with this little darling he is so meek and mild and is a very chill puppy so now i really hope he doesnt get color lol pretty cool having an all black gsd i get him june 22 I CANT WAIT i will post pics for everyone to see his growth

#12 ·
a few questions for all you

i am finally bringing my sweet baby home in a week i have been doing alot of research on a few things i am wondering about first is needles he will be getting his first shots on the 20th and being dewormed when do i take him for a second shot and does he need to be dewormed again and its summer which is flea season when is he old enough for treatment and a big issue is how to introduce him to my terrypoo she is a big sookie and it has to go right so we can live in peace any comments will help tremendously thanks

#13 ·
i am finally bringing my sweet baby home in a week i have been doing alot of research on a few things i am wondering about first is needles he will be getting his first shots on the 20th and being dewormed when do i take him for a second shot and does he need to be dewormed again and its summer which is flea season when is he old enough for treatment and a big issue is how to introduce him to my terrypoo she is a big sookie and it has to go right so we can live in peace any comments will help tremendously thanks
These are ALOT of questions - lol

Here are my thoughts, I just went through the puppy process with 2 GSD's :)

First shots on the 20th and being dewormed when do i take him for a second shot and does he need to be dewormed again

** Do you already have a vet? If no, research 1 now, call around and get prices and look for reviews. Once you have chosen your vet, schedule your 1st puppy exam. Make sure you get from the breeder the exact vaccinations your puppy has already received. The vet will go over all of what you need to do next but you normally get shots every 3 - 4 weeks until complete with each cycle. Also have a fecal test done. That will tell you if your pup is free of any parasites/worms ect… if you get the all clear on that you do not need to deworm again.

and its summer which is flea season when is he old enough for treatment
** You can get chewable flea meds from your vet that your puppy will be ok to take at this age. I would start with a chewable, its easier... otherwise topicals can be put on at 8 weeks I believe and are available over the counter. I use Advantix II on my puppies with good results.

and a big issue is how to introduce him to my terrypoo she is a big sookie and it has to go right so we can live in peace any comments will help tremendously thanks
** Is your Terrypoo already ok with other dogs? If not, you will have a lot to deal with. I would suggest having them both meet in the backyard/safe outdoor space. Have someone there with you, 1 on the puppy and 1 on the Terrypoo. Keep them both on leashes and let them sniff each other. Once you know you are ok, let your puppy off lease but keep the older dog on until you are 100% sure they are ok together. Then once you have a good handle on things, let them both off leash but always keep your eyes on them until your puppy is settled into the household. They say you should let dogs meet in a neutral place but that worked terrible for my 2 puppies. Once we abandoned that idea and put them both in the backyard it was magic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.