German Shepherds Forum banner

Attacking the Hoover and the Mop

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Heartandsoul 
#1 ·
Have a 4 month old pup, who barks/growls at the Hoover not really aggressively more a protective WTH is this kind of way and chases and bites the mop and the broom which he thinks is a big game and despite 'leave it' which stops him for aLL of a few seconds, once motion starts he just can't help himself. So far just been using the leave it which he's pretty good on will stop even when in mid chase of a flirt pole, or else relax, stop ECT for the hoover but when it comes to me cleaning the house or the backyard he just seems intent on making it as difficult as possible. I know this is normal puppy behaviour but any tips or tricks to help curb it would be really helpful.

#3 ·
Put him in the crate until you teach him "leave it". It saves on buying new mop heads and encouraging this behavior. You can't teach him anything while his brain is fully engaged in hoover prey drive. He'll let up on it in the next couple of months. Mine is 9 months old and I was able to vacuum with her uncrated for the first time last week.

#5 ·
think about this. Your machine is in the classic down-in-the-front play pose. It growls. It smells like everything in the house all mixed together. What's not to like! I used tossed treats to teach my big-boy to ignore one hover/ vacuum but our big heavy duty machine was even more exciting. Now I have him jump up on the furniture to bark his fool head off while I clean the floors. It comes in handy when he is outside on a really nice day and I know he won't want to come in. If I run my vacuum he'll want to come in and examine the house and sniff the machine when I am done.

He doesn't bark at the broom or mop in the house. He does bark at the shovel and wants me to throw snow. I have to be serious about that because i don't want him to hurt his teeth biting the shovel. He has broken my rake since I toss leaves into the air for him. It now becomes, "if you bite the rake the game is over". Work in progress. I just make it too much fun for him to be "naughty". My own fault and it is my responsibility he doesn't get carried away.

#6 ·
That brought back memories! I left the vacuum cleaner out in the family room, switched off, for a few days. Nitro then got used to the vacuum switched on doing nothing. I then threw his ball down the hall for him to chase while I vacuumed a few strokes.I redirected his prey drive from the vacuum cleaner to the ball. I lengthened my vacuuming while throwing the ball sessions. It didn't take long for him to ignore the vacuum cleaner and faze out the ball throwing.

#11 ·
Snow shoveling, swifter and the roomba Dogs had to be in crates. Max got hit in the head with the snow shovel a few times - by accident and never deterred him he had to go inside when shoveling snow. I was worried about his teeth getting accidentally knocked out. The dogs were crated not to make this habit forming. I can groom Max with the vacuum now it’s helpful.

#12 ·
4 months...you have a good one :) just kick his ass out if you have a fenced yard..or have somebody else take him out for a walk or car ride while you clean the house...there is no way you can stop him ....you cleaning the house with mob or hoover is the best fun they could ask for :)

#14 ·
Like others, I put my pup up while vacuuming. That Hoover drive would turn him into the Electrolux exterminator. :). He could care less now brought about with learning the leave it command but still gives a death stare to my 100 yr old rickety squeaky ironing board when I bring it out and extend the legs.

Had to add more humor to this thread. You'll do fine and your pup will learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.