Can you tell if a puppy will be short-haired or long-haired? (Pictures) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve180
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Can you tell if a puppy will be short-haired or long-haired? (Pictures)

Hi Everyone,

Visited a breeder today and met 4 Male Sable Puppies that were 5 weeks old. The mother is a short-haired and the father is a long-haired. I was wondering if it is possible to tell if a puppy is going to be short-haired or long-haired?

I have attached pictures of all four puppies (Purple, Orange, Light Green and Dark Green).

I would love to know if it is possible to tell and what you guys might think from the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	520437   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	520439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Green.jpg
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	520441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Green.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	520443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Sleeping.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	520445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	520447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Green, Orange, Purple.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	520449  
bnormal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

You have many posts essentially asking the same questions, honestly, your breeder should have all this info for you (at least fairly accurate predictions) and if they don’t know - it is not a breeder that I’d be buying from.

You’re going to have your dog for a long time... relationships with breeders (advice, support, recommendations, referrals) can last just as long and longer. Start that relationship now... reach out to them. If you have and don’t trust them, again, it’s not a breeder I’d be buying from.

I’m recovering this old post in response to your most recent one that compares the orange and purple puppies. As stated... plush is a descriptive term. Both long stock coats and short stock coats can be described a plush (more commonly mentioned with long coats because many don’t understand the term) as it depends on the individual dogs coat - typically the fullness/density, not length.

Anyway - full litter photos will always produce the best guesses. Although orange and purple puppies do have different coat lengths in the most recent photos - based on the full litter... light green and dark green are the only pups that appear to be long stock coats. To...me.

Talk to your breeder. Especially if coat type matters to you.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 05-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page