HELP! The first heat cycle - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

HELP! The first heat cycle

Our puppy just started her first heat cycle. What do I do?! She’s wearing a diaper and hates it but is wearing it. We have to go through TWO heat cycles before the vet will spay her because she has had some massive UTI problems already.

I don’t have a large yard. How can I exercise her? How long will this last? How long until the next one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

I was always told 7 days coming in, 7 days in, 7 days going. I call it a month. You can still walk her just no off leash. Some bitches bleed heavy and some almost not at all. I don't use diapers, I just use old sheets and towels to protect fabric and carpet, keep the mop handy and carry on. Don't leave her outside unattended even for a minute.
dogfaeries and wolfy dog like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I was always told 7 days coming in, 7 days in, 7 days going. I call it a month. You can still walk her just no off leash. Some bitches bleed heavy and some almost not at all. I don't use diapers, I just use old sheets and towels to protect fabric and carpet, keep the mop handy and carry on. Don't leave her outside unattended even for a minute.
Three weeks? Oh my. 😞 She seems to be a heavy bleeder. She’s fine wearing the diaper thankfully because we have a LOT of light beige furniture.. Could it be shorter since she’s only 8 months old? I’m panicking. I was supposed to go on a work trip and there’s no way now I can board her or ask family to watch her.

And she should go through two heat cycles before we spay her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM

My girl is a year old now and had her first cycle around 8 months as well. She wasn’t a super heavy bleeder (she didn’t wear a diaper) and we just cleaned up after her whenever we noticed any blood on the carpet or the hardwood floor. We also made sure the couch was covered with a towel before letting her up on it.

For about a month we didn’t let her go to our community dog park unless it was late at night (8-10pm) when no dogs were there. But she would just lay there and not really want to run around so we just stopped taking her and took her on unstructured leashed walks instead until it was over.

She was pretty lazy the whole time she was in heat and she did have a couple of accidents in side (random peeing while she was laying down) while she was in heat.

Overall it wasn’t as bad I assumed it would be. She did have her moments of not wanting to listen during her heat, but for the most part she was attached at my hip and we just made sure to give her extra love.

We didn’t want to put her through a surgery before the heat because she was such a tiny girl & since it could’ve been past a year before she went into heat we decided to just let her mature as much as we can before spaying her. She’s an inside dog so it’s not the difficult to keep her away from other dogs.

Plus I did a lot of research and talked to some vets and most of them agreed that since she’s a large breed dog it could be beneficial to let her have at least one heat cycle. Our vet recommended to let her hormones Even back out and we are spaying her next month.

Overall I’m not opposed to fixer her after she’s sexually matures, but we will be moving to a more heavily populated dog city where we won’t be able to have a dog park next to us that we get to ourselves 90% of the time like we do currently, so I’m not taking any chances and getting her fixed next month before we move.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikka Khrystyne View Post
My girl is a year old now and had her first cycle around 8 months as well. She wasn’t a super heavy bleeder (she didn’t wear a diaper) and we just cleaned up after her whenever we noticed any blood on the carpet or the hardwood floor. We also made sure the couch was covered with a towel before letting her up on it.

For about a month we didn’t let her go to our community dog park unless it was late at night (8-10pm) when no dogs were there. But she would just lay there and not really want to run around so we just stopped taking her and took her on unstructured leashed walks instead until it was over.

She was pretty lazy the whole time she was in heat and she did have a couple of accidents in side (random peeing while she was laying down) while she was in heat.

Overall it wasn’t as bad I assumed it would be. She did have her moments of not wanting to listen during her heat, but for the most part she was attached at my hip and we just made sure to give her extra love.

We didn’t want to put her through a surgery before the heat because she was such a tiny girl & since it could’ve been past a year before she went into heat we decided to just let her mature as much as we can before spaying her. She’s an inside dog so it’s not the difficult to keep her away from other dogs.

Plus I did a lot of research and talked to some vets and most of them agreed that since she’s a large breed dog it could be beneficial to let her have at least one heat cycle. Our vet recommended to let her hormones Even back out and we are spaying her next month.

Overall I’m not opposed to fixer her after she’s sexually matures, but we will be moving to a more heavily populated dog city where we won’t be able to have a dog park next to us that we get to ourselves 90% of the time like we do currently, so I’m not taking any chances and getting her fixed next month before we move.
Yes totally agree with you! Good move. Our vet said if we can get through two, to do two heat cycles. But this is rough! Our girl is miserable and pacing endlessly. She randomly peed though?! Why???

Is panting normal? She’s very agitated too. Argh!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
Yes totally agree with you! Good move. Our vet said if we can get through two, to do two heat cycles. But this is rough! Our girl is miserable and pacing endlessly. She randomly peed though?! Why???

Is panting normal? Shes very agitated too. Argh!
All of them are different in heat. I have had girls that you would never have guessed, I have had others that got aggressive, or cranky, or moody. Some showed signs of discomfort. But you have a girl who has a history of urinary tract issues and panting is often a sign of pain so I would give your vet a call and make sure all is good.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:

Is panting normal? She’s very agitated too. Argh!
All of them are different in heat. I have had girls that you would never have guessed, I have had others that got aggressive, or cranky, or moody. Some showed signs of discomfort. But you have a girl who has a history of urinary tract issues and panting is often a sign of pain so I would give your vet a call and make sure all is good.
Ok I will! Eek I was hoping it was a regular symptom. She is so sweet apparently as her mood. She just used me as a mattress and isn’t leaving my side. I really hope it’s not something with her UTI’s. 😞
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Ok I will! Eek I was hoping it was a regular symptom. She is so sweet apparently as her mood. She just used me as a mattress and isnt leaving my side. I really hope its not something with her UTIs. 😞
It may be, but with her past history I would just rather err on the side of caution if she were my dog.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 PM

I think all heat cycles can vary though the norm is for them to last about 3 weeks. My girl's first cycle lasted 6 weeks. Ugh!!! Her bleeding level varied from light to heavy. She didn't like the diaper either but left it alone for the most part. As for exercise, I took her out ONLY on a long leash did very short throws for her to fetch, played tug and did some hide and seek. You might want to check out Susan Garrett's Crate Games for indoor, brain stimulating activities you can do with her.

Good luck. It will be hard going through two heat cycles, but if this is best for her health, I'd do it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinstructor View Post
I think all heat cycles can vary though the norm is for them to last about 3 weeks. My girl's first cycle lasted 6 weeks. Ugh!!! Her bleeding level varied from light to heavy. She didn't like the diaper either but left it alone for the most part. As for exercise, I took her out ONLY on a long leash did very short throws for her to fetch, played tug and did some hide and seek. You might want to check out Susan Garrett's Crate Games for indoor, brain stimulating activities you can do with her.

Good luck. It will be hard going through two heat cycles, but if this is best for her health, I'd do it.
SIX WEEKS?! Omg. I don’t know how you survived that. I really hope it’s a max of 3 weeks for us. 😭😭😭

Thank you! I love her so I’ll definitely check out the inside games. I kinda love how sweet she is during her heat cycle so maybe that will help me survive! She’s being a total mommy’s girl and quite literally took a nap on me today. I wish that part would stay! Hahah!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page