HELP! The first heat cycle - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 AM
Crowned Member

I skipped a lot of the responses to cut to this: For Pete's Sake! You can board a bitch in heat. I've done it. Other people have done it. Of my current pair, one was spayed at 4 yo because she developed false pregnancies and they were getting worse to the point that with other dogs she illustrated why the proper name for female dogs had become a profanity. My 5 yo is still intact. Neither dog has been bred, my house survives and so do I. So will you. Buck up my dear. Also - Diapers are good. With the intact bitch I get them out and say "Panties!" and she comes trotting up to put them on. Somehow I taught her that wearing these was a privilege.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

My dog just finished up her 3rd heat, at 2 1/2 yrs old. The calendar, and my neutered male chihuahua said she was done. And so, although I watched her like a hawk initially, I allowed her to see other dogs again, and most all male dogs were not taking notice anymore, so all was good right? WRONG! She has a particular intact male husky friend for whom, in spite of the calendar and other male dog's disinterest, was plenty interested. The really surprising part for me was that my dog was too! She actually stood for him disregarding the fact the her "standing heat" period was long gone! I guess, outside of just venting my surprise, the lesson is that one has to be vigilant for a month or more even, to be sure!

Another thing that surprised me a bit with this 3rd heat was her change in attitude. Previous heats I noticed no change at all, but this one she definitely was more cranky and temperamental (probably, I'm guessing due to her discomfort).

Either way, this will be her last heat. But I thought sharing her change in temperament this time around might help to underscore how different one dog can be from another, and even how different one heat can be from another with the same dog!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 AM
Crowned Member

Vigilent for a month to be sure. Tinny just went into her first heat, she is 13 months. She stays outside in a kennel with her dam, so I don't need to do anything different. Maybe. Maybe I will put them in the back And bring Ramona and Kojak up front just in case. You never know when a rangey mangy border collie mix might perform impossible feats of athleticism to get to her, and when she is ready, READY, then she will perform up to then unknown feats of athleticism herself.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 04-28-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I need more help! I don’t know what to do. My dog was vomiting yesterday all morning with not eating or drinking. She’s been panting randomly, nose running, and super tired. Took her to the vet, and they did a scan of her abdomen and checked a few other things, and said she has a minor flu. Gave her fluids, anti nausea injection, and sent us home with something else for her stomach and nausea pills.

Last night, she peed her dog bed. She is only 8 months but she hasn’t had an accident in over FIVE months. Is this normal?! I’m calling again to talk to the vet but should I be worried about Pyometra? Not to mention, she went out very late last night. And she ALWAYS wakes us up with a bark when she has to go out. So she 100% peed herself in her sleep
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

They also did an ultrasound to check for abdomen blockage in case she swallows something and said it was clear. But she’s had unexplained diarrhea the last few days as well. And this is a dog that will alert us when she has to go outside to throw up when she was sick in the past. She would never ever go inside by choice. She was 100% asleep.

Last edited by germanshepowner; 05-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
They also did an ultrasound to check for abdomen blockage in case she swallows something and said it was clear. But she’s had unexplained diarrhea the last few days as well. And this is a dog that will alert us when she has to go outside to throw up when she was sick in the past. She would never ever go inside by choice. She was 100% asleep.
Please realize that this is not relayed to her heat. Regarding the heat: the end of the bleeding is NOT the end of the heat. Usually they are at their most fertile and receptive to males.
During Deja's bleeding I rol up the rugs and mop after her. A diaper prevents her from cleaning herself. Can't you drive your dog to a male-safe area and work with her there? Otherwise you just have to get creative at home and stick it out. Play games, teach her new tricks. for us it is one week of extra hype before she bleeds for two weeks, then a week or so of being in 'standing heat' (standing for a male or when you scratch her at the base of her tail, she will move the tail aside). All in all an entire month of preventing a litter of puppies.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

It seems like something beyond a heat cycle is going on. I hope you get this figured out and your pup back to her normal self. However, I would suggest that the OP quit stressing over a heat cycle, just be vigilant for about 4 weeks if the cycle is normal. It's been my experience when I get weirded out, so does the dog. But I really hope that you find out what is going on and get her health back soon.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

I think vets often add to this anxiety. Spaying brings in cash and many are not educated on the latest research.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Usually vomiting or fevers do not accompany a heat cycle. Peeing in the house might. As she becomes more and more ready, her instincts can be to leave her scent all over the place and some bitches mark like dogs. Other bitches will need to urinate more frequently as the hormones take over her plumbing. Remember, just because she hasn't been bred doesn't mean that her body isn't going through the same as though she were. That is just how it works with bitches.

Pyo for puppies is not unheard of. But not common. Usually it happens at least a month after a heat cycle. If you are worried, than bring up your concerns to the vet. Do not just expect them to consider it. Ask, could this be pyometra? Then they can tell you why or why not. Then you will feel better. Or you will hope the guy/gal is right.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Usually vomiting or fevers do not accompany a heat cycle. Peeing in the house might. As she becomes more and more ready, her instincts can be to leave her scent all over the place and some bitches mark like dogs. Other bitches will need to urinate more frequently as the hormones take over her plumbing. Remember, just because she hasn't been bred doesn't mean that her body isn't going through the same as though she were. That is just how it works with bitches.

Pyo for puppies is not unheard of. But not common. Usually it happens at least a month after a heat cycle. If you are worried, than bring up your concerns to the vet. Do not just expect them to consider it. Ask, could this be pyometra? Then they can tell you why or why not. Then you will feel better. Or you will hope the guy/gal is right.
Apparently with the fluid they gave her, 800 cc’s, the vet told us it was totally normal for her to pee herself in her sleep. Sigh. They didn’t tell us this! She seems a little better so just keeping a watchful eye. It does seem odd to me that she would somehow get sick during her heat cycle. That was the vets explanation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page