Runt puppy help - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Runt puppy help

Hello all! I have read several posts about GSD runts but just want more assurance 😊. I don’t have puppy yet but really want him. He’s quite small...don’t know exact weight he goes to vet with the litter tomorrow. According to breeder he has never not eaten well...litter was not large and he nursed well. He’s also currently eating well...breeder says he’s the first one to the bowl. He’s active and playful. She said there was also a runt from this pairings previous litter who is doing fine; just still on the smaller side. I want smaller so that does not bother me at all. Just health. Father is DNA certified mom has also been tested. No issues for DM he could be carrier at worst but I will not breed. Are there any tests that should be done? Anything else I should look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 PM

Here's an old thread on the topic of runts. It seems that you want an assurance from a vet that there are no underlying

health problems which could cause the puppy to be smaller than his littermates. Sometimes the runts grow to normal

size and sometimes they stay smaller.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-litter-4.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you...he goes to the vet tomorrow with the litter the breeder is going to have him really looked over. I did take a look at that thread...they went down a rabbit hole of working vs beauty lines blah blah blah. I’m not looking for a show dog just a healthy family pet - I also like to train but nothing hard core.I have had GSDs all my life - the last one I had I thought I had done everything right and he ended up with EPI and died last month of HSA at just 8.5 years old. Great hips though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

My "runt" was out of being a runt by the time she was 8 wks old. As an adult it was hard to keep her at only 90#.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
My "runt" was out of being a runt by the time she was 8 wks old. As an adult it was hard to keep her at only 90#.
😱😱😱 I have heard of that happening A LOT!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM

A google search will tell you quite a bit about this. Some suggest you get a written agreement from breeder assuring

you that if any congenital problems show up within a certain period of time that they will either take the puppy back

and/or refund the purchase price. And you need to have YOUR VET do a thorough exam as soon as possible after

you get the puppy. Things could be fine w/ the puppy or they may not. Until I perused these articles, I didn't realize

there could be so many possible causes of 'runting'.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Runt as in the smallest of the litter or abnormally small and low energy? My pup was the runt, turned into the highest driven dog of the litter and 62lbs. My friend got the runt of a litter and he turned out to be 85-90 lbs. As long as the puppy eats well, has normal energy and the breeder is ethical it should be fine.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ausdland; 04-22-2019 at 12:31 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 AM
Elite Member

Here's my 'runt' pup next to the largest pup in the litter. By the time she was 8 weeks old, she had caught up to her two sisters in weight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teena and Hoss.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	520309  
ausdland likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Runt as in the smallest of the litter or abnormally small and low energy? My pup was the runt, turned into the highest driven dog of the litter and 62lbs. My friend got the runt of a litter and he turned out to be 85-90 lbs. As long as the puppy eats well, has normal energy and the breeder is ethical it should be fine.
I would say small as opposed to runt. He was in a somewhat small litter of 6 and breeder said he has always eaten well. He went to the vet this morning and they are holding off on vaccinations until 8 weeks. I was glad for that. Vet checked him over really well...no heart murmurs and everything else normal. He was the best behaved at the vet...very active and confident. Breeder is going to start him on additional supplements and Answers Goats Milk, then monitor his growth very closely. She does have a health guarantee on the puppies and I’m not even committed at this point. I am going to visit on Wednesday to check him out as well as her kennels. Luckily it’s only a couple of hours away.
ausdland likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I wanted the biggest of the litter and a male. He did well until 7 months. My vet and a surgeon both told me he had hip dysplasia. The breeder said no way of course. I did both iips pin hipped and the wobbling rear was gone. The breeder said later he just needed water therapy and he had been on stairs and she told me not to let him on any stairs. He hadn't.

I knew going in that if he was shipped out of state I would not get a health agreement. He came from the Northwest Coast to Central Middle America. I don't doubt for a minute that she is a great breeder. There are always videos of her puppies and praises from her clients. I would buy from her again. She is always supportive.

He was delivered with Giardia and had to have two bouts of antibiotics as he grew so fast the first one was not enough.
He has always had an extremely sensitivity to any food change. Even a nibble of bread that may fall on the floor he snarffs up and has diarrhea.

Later, at 6 years of age he was still being fed a high quality food but started losing weight slowly. He is a long haired GSD, I didn't even notice until I felt his bones during a bath. He was starving to death.

He now has Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) and will be on enzymes forever so he can digest food and he's gained his weight back and gone above his 85 pound top to 91 pounds. That is proper for his size.

You never know with a breeder or their vet. Even if she gives you a health guauntee, it wouldn't be for life. I would walk away if your gut is telling you to beware.

I was very happy I could afford to put 6K out at 7 months so she wouldn't need a full hip replacement later. I wanted to do agility training but that didn't happen. We can't play Frisbee either but he can chase balls, is fast as a speeding bullet, low prey drive (actually 0) and low energy which was perfect for our huge family.

Doing well now and thriving and not staying a runt is not insurance that problems won't happen down the road. If you are just looking for a smaller GSD, pick a small female in the litter. I always trust my gut. If you already are not fully committed it might not be a bad idea to pass on this puppy.

Bebe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jackson-Papillion-10 years old Passed away 4/2013
Riley-GSD 01/24/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page