8 month old weight loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

8 month old weight loss

My puppy is 25.5 inches, 8 months. And she WAS 60 pounds but just dropped down to 54. Should I be concerned?! She had pneumonia but was totally cleared with X-rays and she has the same very healthy appetite. But she just seems so thin! The vet said recently we should keep her thin as much as possible which I agree with, but is 6 pounds normal? 😞 Should I supplement her food with a little something extra? She eats veggies, chicken, rice, turkey etc from this awesome fresh dog food company we found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6920F752-9278-4888-B77A-3C6C08A3F93E_1555833894551.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	520269   Click image for larger version

Name:	71ED8747-2E96-4B57-BD8C-49CB80C32A8B_1555833942056.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	520271  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

I don't know but it looks like she's fine from your pictures. First, being only 8 months old she's in the lanky adolescent stage. And 2nd, have you recently changed her activity level? Meaning...is she being exercised more? Maybe she's getting into her "fighting' weight. Third, she recently had pneumonia. A little sickness can cause her to lose a little weight. 4th, maybe you weighed her on 2 different scales. I know the one at my vet's office always gives a different reading than the one I have at home...and it could be as much as a 5 lbs difference. And finally, it could be other health issues, but I don't want to go there yet
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

Good pouts by tc68. I'd keep track of her on the same scale. Anymore unexplained loss definitely a vet visit. With unexplained weight loss you have to check for EPI..but she looks ok from that one pick. Were it my dog I would mention it to the vet and then keep track using same scale.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
I don't know but it looks like she's fine from your pictures. First, being only 8 months old she's in the lanky adolescent stage. And 2nd, have you recently changed her activity level? Meaning...is she being exercised more? Maybe she's getting into her "fighting' weight. Third, she recently had pneumonia. A little sickness can cause her to lose a little weight. 4th, maybe you weighed her on 2 different scales. I know the one at my vet's office always gives a different reading than the one I have at home...and it could be as much as a 5 lbs difference. And finally, it could be other health issues, but I don't want to go there yet
Same scale. 😕 But maybe mine is broken! I’ll try her on our neighbors. Is it possible that her height has been growing so fast that her weight can’t keep up? She really shot up the last 3 months.

I’ve also been following this food: justfoodfordogs.com. And I feed her a few more ounces than they suggest. But the ideal weight thing is confusing. I feed her about 40 ounces of chicken,veggies, and rice a day. Does that sound like enough?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Good pouts by tc68. I'd keep track of her on the same scale. Anymore unexplained loss definitely a vet visit. With unexplained weight loss you have to check for EPI..but she looks ok from that one pick. Were it my dog I would mention it to the vet and then keep track using same scale.
thank you! Maybe she’s just super gangly and I’m not used to that. 😂
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
Same scale. 😕 But maybe mine is broken! Iíll try her on our neighbors. Is it possible that her height has been growing so fast that her weight canít keep up? She really shot up the last 3 months.

Iíve also been following this food: justfoodfordogs.com. And I feed her a few more ounces than they suggest. But the ideal weight thing is confusing. I feed her about 40 ounces of chicken,veggies, and rice a day. Does that sound like enough?
Feed more and see what happens--I'd go with more protein and fat. If she gains too much and gets pudgy, then feed less. I doubt she'll get pudgy at that age. Her body is soaking up a lot of calories while growing and she may be going through a growth spurt.

A dog at ideal weight shows the back half-to-third of their ribs when moving about. They also have a trim waist when looking at them from above. When you see the entire set of ribs, they're lean which is fine for athletic dogs. I'd go for something in between ideal and lean. If you start seeing the points of the hip joints, you're too thin.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Elite Member

I'm seeing more rib there than I'd like. One of my dogs went through a stage in adolescence when she was a bottomless pit. She was getting 5 cups of food a day, and STILL looked really skinny.

I would increase her food. Her metabolism will eventually slow down (by about a year) and you can cut the food back then.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
I'm seeing more rib there than I'd like. One of my dogs went through a stage in adolescence when she was a bottomless pit. She was getting 5 cups of food a day, and STILL looked really skinny.

I would increase her food. Her metabolism will eventually slow down (by about a year) and you can cut the food back then.
She IS a bottomless pit for sure! She’s eating maybe 6 cups of food a day right now! I don’t know where it goes. I will increase her food.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Have you had her checked for worms?
tc68 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Yeah, I agree, CometDog. I know all about EPI. My previous dog had it. I just didn't want to bring up health concern possibilities yet. A loss of 6lbs is still slightly early, I think. I was thinking that maybe she would cover all her bases before checking serious health issues. I think if she still loses weight, definitely a vet visit should be next.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page