We met our New Puppy!!!! Travel Advice!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

Add baby wipes and garbage bags to your list. Risky time of year for parvo so be vigilante. Get the large pee pads and I would invest in the cheapy, disposable drop sheet things to put down under them. Don't reuse them once they are on the ground, bag them and toss them.
I like martingale collars, I've had too many pups slip harnesses. I always keep leash and collar on even in the crate while travelling. Rescue transports agree the risk is outweighed by the safety of having something to grab should the puppy spook and bolt. Also a cheap tag with your contact info on it.
Experience makes me keep a change of clothes in the car, one too many puppies have either puked or peed on me and it isn't fun having to sit in gross clothes. Lol.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

Crate, stuffed toy, lots of shredded newspaper when he barfs and potties and a slip lead

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Crowned Member

About 9 years ago, Walgrens had the best bargain on piddle pads. $10 for 50 or so. Piddle pad in the crate can be helpful. So far as finding a safe place - out west I'd recommend driving off the interstate at an intersection/off ramp but not stopping right there - go a few miles further on because lots of people seem to pull over at the off ramps to toilet their dogs. I just don't see a lot of luck in directing a pup to pee on a piddle pad in the open air.

For a crate, you could do a soft sided crate which could come in handy if you decide to fly your next pup home with you. (Mine's 10 years old, used on one trip...) Back seat is also safest for the pup (air bag deployed would be fatal). The trip can be fun, you can manage this safely. Good luck, have fun.
Clare likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Change of clothes for sure!!!! When we brought Sasha home, she puked on me twice. And that was a two hour trip. I actually have that 50 pack of pads from Wolfgang when he was sick last year. He ended up not really needing them so I have about 45 left of the 50. I do think I'm going with the soft sided crate. I have a gift card for Amazon so I can get one really inexpensively. Looking at Martingale collars - I'm guessing at this point an extra small 10-14" would suffice? Yes!!! I have to order a tag too!!!
Sabis mom likes this.

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

Very exciting congrats. Max’s breeder was old school and not on Facebook or have webpage so glad I did visit pups when a few weeks old. I have videos of max letting be known as a mommas boy. We brought a crate each time picking up our pup but did not use it. The crate was used though next to the upstairs bed until it was grown out of and by that time was adjusted to the larger crate in kitchen. The drive was about three hours or more with traffic. Each pup in the back seat with kids - max a baby noob and on my daughters lap the entire ride- max did vomit once. Good to bring a extra towel and some wipes. When picking up Luna my kids brought some of the good house blankets - glad Luna did not get sick would not advise lol! I would listen to the advise about wee wee pads. Also Max’s breeder warned us about not stopping at pet stores along the way or back home. there were two very large puppy stores along the way that recently had a outbreak of parvo- that was in NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-18-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Btw - we think this is the one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

OMG!!!!!! I love those photos!!!!!! Yea, i have no intentions of bringing him into any stores until he's fully vaccinated!!! I'm paranoid enough about a hotel room for the night, hence a crate. Whoever isn't driving will be in the back seat with him. Maybe I can rent one of your kids for the ride to Florida??

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
OMG!!!!!! I love those photos!!!!!! Yea, i have no intentions of bringing him into any stores until he's fully vaccinated!!! I'm paranoid enough about a hotel room for the night, hence a crate. Whoever isn't driving will be in the back seat with him. Maybe I can rent one of your kids for the ride to Florida??
Lol! My kids would love to lol! A very cute puppy it is the best kind of excitement. I do love their little puppy ears at that age. The anticipation is awesome!
Clare likes this.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

we have a backseat cover we keep in the car that's microfiber on the front and a water proof material on the back. It has straps that go over the headrests on the back seat and velcored slits for seat belts to go thru. You can throw in the washer and I just let it hang dry outside as needed! Would be good on the trip home and afterward for hair and any wet accidents!! I was taking my now passed senior GSD home from the vet and after we got him in the car he just stood and peed!!! I just folded it over went home and the seat was completely dry!! I got it at petsmart but don't remember the brand, but it really worked!
Cassidy's Mom and Clare like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:03 AM

First car ride pups seem to try and hide, runny poop and barf so seat cover is a must but crate is better, less handling (pick up/down/petting) and plenty of paper towels plus soft quite music is all I can add. Have fun and take many pictures because pups grow up to fast.
Clare likes this.

Last edited by dojoson41; 04-20-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page