• 1 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By Shane'sDad
  • 1 Post By Judy Untamed
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Greasy boy?

Hello =)
So Dean is now 11 months old, and I have noticed he is, for lack of a better word, greasy. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't bathed him in a while, so I gave him a bath the other day with some puppy shampoo. The net day I noticed he was still greasy.
I am wondering if this is a normal thing puppies go through, like human teens and oily skin? Also what is some good shampoo to keep the grease away for more than over night?

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM
Master Member

Not normal. Could be Canine Seborrhea, waxy skin, dermatitis in Dogs
Datura likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 AM
Master Member

Dogs have oil glands that secrete oil onto the hair follicles...so that some I've had.. have an oilier coat than others..all while living in the same daily environment eating the same diet etc.....I've always assumed the difference in the amount of oil in some dogs coats is genetic...just like some folks are plagued with acne/pimples some are not....dryer fur/skin can = itching/scratching,,,so the oil is typically a good thing..... labradors and other "water" dogs have an oily coat- part of the "breed" that insulates them from cold water

Not being sure what your definition of "greasy" looks like... and since I can't see or touch your dog...may be what I'd call an oily coat... OR if it's that bad it would be worth mentioning to your vet
Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
He isn't smelly or itchy though. Just greasy in a strip down his spine.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
Dogs have oil glands that secrete oil onto the hair follicles...so that some I've had.. have an oilier coat than others..all while living in the same daily environment eating the same diet etc.....I've always assumed the difference in the amount of oil in some dogs coats is genetic...just like some folks are plagued with acne/pimples some are not....dryer fur/skin can = itching/scratching,,,so the oil is typically a good thing..... labradors and other "water" dogs have an oily coat- part of the "breed" that insulates them from cold water

Not being sure what your definition of "greasy" looks like... and since I can't see or touch your dog...may be what I'd call an oily coat... OR if it's that bad it would be worth mentioning to your vet
Maybe thats why he has no problem jumping into a barely thawed Lake Superior lol
It's a strip down his spine thats the worst, and he isn't smelly or itchy or anything, but when I pet him I get a greasy residue on my fingers.
I got him a new shampoo, so maybe that will work better at removing the grease lol

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Old 03-29-2019, 10:59 PM

Maybe try plain Dawn dish detergent? (no fru-fru fragrances) It's gentle enough to be used on wildlife, including babies, that get covered with oil. And speaking from personal experience, it's great at getting greasy stuff off of hands and kitchen surfaces.
Datura likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Old 03-29-2019, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

If it is just a strip down the spine, do you use a spot on for flea and tick protection? Some will leave an oily residue for a couple of days.
Datura likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Untamed View Post
Maybe try plain Dawn dish detergent? (no fru-fru fragrances) It's gentle enough to be used on wildlife, including babies, that get covered with oil. And speaking from personal experience, it's great at getting greasy stuff off of hands and kitchen surfaces.
Thats what I was thinking of trying too. I use blue dawn to strip the hair dye from my hair, so I have plenty around the house haha

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
If it is just a strip down the spine, do you use a spot on for flea and tick protection? Some will leave an oily residue for a couple of days.
Not since last fall, and this just started with in the past month.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in