Not eating. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Springbrz
  • 1 Post By Danina14
  • 2 Post By Danina14

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Not eating.

Hello everyone, this is Artemis. I’ve had her for about 3 weeks now she’s 10 weeks old and just recently she seems uninterested in her food. If I hand feed her she’ll eat but for some reason after I picked her up from my friend that was babysitting her for only a day she doesn’t want to eat. My friend said they may have given her too much peanut butter and that might be it. Any suggestions? I feed her taste of the wild puppy food
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1552405909646.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	519013  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Well peanut butter is a higher value treat for many pups and dogs. Also, peanut butter is pretty high in fat. If they fed her a good amount she may not be felling to well trying to metabolize it. I would consider too that if they gave her too much peanut butter they may have just over fed her or given her other foods that she didn't need or shouldn't have had (table scraps). I would ask. Give her a day or two to adjust to being back home and getting back to her regular diet. I wouldn't worry too much unless she is showing signs of distress. IE: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy.
If you give in now you may very well be setting yourself up for a picky eater and a life of food struggles.
NOTE: Not to create undo worry but I would ask them to check the label on the peanut butter. Some peanut butters contain Xylitol which is very toxic to dogs and can be fatal.

And it may just be to the upset of staying at a different place at such a young age. Change in environment can cause stress when they are just getting used to being in a new home.
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

Oh sorry! I should add that at 10 weeks she hasn't had all her shots. Was she taken to parks, walked in heavily dog populated areas? If lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea present vet ASAP as Parvo Virus would be a real possibility.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Oh sorry! I should add that at 10 weeks she hasn't had all her shots. Was she taken to parks, walked in heavily dog populated areas? If lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea present vet ASAP as Parvo Virus would be a real possibility.
nah I haven’t taken her out to public places yet
Springbrz likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danina14 View Post
nah I havenít taken her out to public places yet
Do you go out? Parvo is spread through indirect contact very easy and is the reason most shelters keep bleach trays at the doors.
It does not sound like parvo but you should be aware that keeping her out of public areas is NOT a guarantee.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danina14 View Post
nah I haven’t taken her out to public places yet
Do you go out? Parvo is spread through indirect contact very easy and is the reason most shelters keep bleach trays at the doors.
It does not sound like parvo but you should be aware that keeping her out of public areas is NOT a guarantee.
no we don’t go out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh and I’ve already gotten her 2 booster shots
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 PM

How many days has she not had a regular appetite? Have you checked on whether your friend's peanut butter contained Xylitol? I learned about that a hazard a couple of months ago.

I've always fed my dogs dry food with various wet toppers. In my experience, a dogs appetite can fluctuates. If it goes on for too many days, or there are other symptoms, you might want to check with your vet.

"Taste of the Wild" has a recent lawsuit for hazardous content. Seems to be a trend with various pet foods. Here is the like to info: https://truthaboutpetfood.com/new-la...e-of-the-wild/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:54 AM

Even though my dog has access to his food all day he wont eat unless he is in his crate so when I leave for work, in he goes and the food is gone when I get home. Thank you for that peanut butter Xylitol thing Springbrz-did not know that either.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Update: her appetite is normal again it was cause she ate too much peanut butter and was trying to digest it and the ingredients were safe! I had my friend check. Thanks everyone!
dogma13 and car2ner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page