Potty Training issue. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Not a dog that's not housebroken as you can see from the results. Why not just let the dog live in the house with everyone else and house train him? If you want him to live in the basement you'll need to stay there with him until he's housebroken. He's still a baby :-)
The issue is not the basement it's the house training. I have often confined younger dogs to basements or other areas for numerous reasons, lack of breakable stuff or more space or cooler, and the list goes on. The OP never said they left the dog there all the time. And he's not a baby at 8 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkculs View Post
Yes.
The only cure I have ever found for those nervous bladders is time and confidence. I like agility for timid dogs, I think it gives them a sense of accomplishment and it's an activity that helps with bonding. I built/scavenged lots of obstacles for Shadow when she was young, cost next to nothing. No need to join a club or compete. We also did a lot of back country hiking. Hopefully you are right and he's on the road, just a hiccup caused by change.
mkculs likes this.
Sabis mom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 211
[QUOTE=Sabis mom;9152661]The issue is not the basement it's the house training. I have often confined younger dogs to basements or other areas for numerous reasons, lack of breakable stuff or more space or cooler, and the list goes on. The OP never said they left the dog there all the time. And he's not a baby at 8 months.


I agree the dog isn't housebroken. And leaving a 7 month old dog that's not housebroken in a basement does become a problem since they don't housebreak themselves. She doesn't say how often she takes him out and 7 months is still a baby for a GSD. Especially one that hasn't been housebroken or spent a lot of time with the family in the house under supervision. She did say he LIVES in the basement. Maybe you need to read the OP's message again rather than getting defensive about putting dogs in the basement.
crittersitter is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,269
[quote=crittersitter;9152687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
The issue is not the basement it's the house training. I have often confined younger dogs to basements or other areas for numerous reasons, lack of breakable stuff or more space or cooler, and the list goes on. The OP never said they left the dog there all the time. And he's not a baby at 8 months.


I agree the dog isn't housebroken. And leaving a 7 month old dog that's not housebroken in a basement does become a problem since they don't housebreak themselves. She doesn't say how often she takes him out and 7 months is still a baby for a GSD. Especially one that hasn't been housebroken or spent a lot of time with the family in the house under supervision. She did say he LIVES in the basement. Maybe you need to read the OP's message again rather than getting defensive about putting dogs in the basement.
Also says he is fine on the main level. And who cares. Try to be helpful. Half of dog owners relegate their dogs to specific parts of the house. Again the issue is not that he spends time in the basement! He is not house trained.
The house I bought in my 20's was off limits to all the dogs beyond the kitchen because I did not want the smoke grey carpeting destroyed. My neighbor had a dog that was only allowed on the main floor, never upstairs. My boss bred dogs and never had them anywhere except the walk out basement when they were in. It's NORMAL!
Sabis mom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 211
[quote=Sabis mom;9152691]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post

Also says he is fine on the main level. And who cares. Try to be helpful. Half of dog owners relegate their dogs to specific parts of the house. Again the issue is not that he spends time in the basement! He is not house trained.
The house I bought in my 20's was off limits to all the dogs beyond the kitchen because I did not want the smoke grey carpeting destroyed. My neighbor had a dog that was only allowed on the main floor, never upstairs. My boss bred dogs and never had them anywhere except the walk out basement when they were in. It's NORMAL!

Try not to be so defensive when someone disagrees with you. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Just because you properly house train your dogs that are in your basement doesn't mean someone is. I stand by my statement that you can't just let a 7 month old puppy live in a basement (which is what the OP said was happening) that's not properly housebroken without them having accidents. Makes sense that the puppy isn't having accidents when in the rest of the house because someone is there to supervise them.
Tulip likes this.
crittersitter is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,269
[quote=crittersitter;9152797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post


Try not to be so defensive when someone disagrees with you. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Just because you properly house train your dogs that are in your basement doesn't mean someone is. I stand by my statement that you can't just let a 7 month old puppy live in a basement (which is what the OP said was happening) that's not properly housebroken without them having accidents. Makes sense that the puppy isn't having accidents when in the rest of the house because someone is there to supervise them.
Well now that you have been successful in chasing the OP away, and offered no reasonable advice, I guess it doesn't really matter. I was trying to explain HOW to housetrain before you picked up on the word BASEMENT and decide the sky was falling. It's not that I am defensive, or that I care what you think. It's that housetraining issues are the number one reason dogs are surrendered or rehomed. Since the system I have works I try to share it whenever it may be useful.

Next time advice on how to house train would be useful instead of being all judgemental and condescending. We all live with our dogs differently, some people never let their dogs inside. Just because you don't like it does not make it wrong.
Sabis mom is online now  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 211
[quote=Sabis mom;9152881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post

Well now that you have been successful in chasing the OP away, and offered no reasonable advice, I guess it doesn't really matter. I was trying to explain HOW to housetrain before you picked up on the word BASEMENT and decide the sky was falling. It's not that I am defensive, or that I care what you think. It's that housetraining issues are the number one reason dogs are surrendered or rehomed. Since the system I have works I try to share it whenever it may be useful.

Next time advice on how to house train would be useful instead of being all judgemental and condescending. We all live with our dogs differently, some people never let their dogs inside. Just because you don't like it does not make it wrong.

Good grief. Talk about being judgemental and condescending. There is no need for such hostility and rudeness. It's not your job to preach to me madam. Try heeding your own advice.
crittersitter is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Oppss. Did not realize this would create an argument. Anyways, Hunter is not confined to basement all the time, he goes there like rest of the house, however his crate is downstairs so he does sleep there or whenever he has to be in crate.
I guess he has figured different set of rules for upstairs and basement, so kind of house broken for upstairs and not in the basement.
I have taken the advice given earlier about starting from scratch, back to routine of multiple potty breaks outside and no time without supervision downstairs. No accident for last few days.
On a separate note, at what age would i expect his poo frequency to go down, he still goes about three times a day for poo.
Thanks
Sabis mom likes this.
ziqch is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziqch View Post
Oppss. Did not realize this would create an argument. Anyways, Hunter is not confined to basement all the time, he goes there like rest of the house, however his crate is downstairs so he does sleep there or whenever he has to be in crate.
I guess he has figured different set of rules for upstairs and basement, so kind of house broken for upstairs and not in the basement.
I have taken the advice given earlier about starting from scratch, back to routine of multiple potty breaks outside and no time without supervision downstairs. No accident for last few days.
On a separate note, at what age would i expect his poo frequency to go down, he still goes about three times a day for poo.
Thanks
I completely understood what you were saying. Dogs, like children, often "make up" a more relaxed set of rules for the basement. It tends to be a more relaxed setting.
Frequency- he should go after each meal, adult dogs sometimes go only once but twice if they are fed twice is normal. Quality food will reduce the size and frequency and be mindful that you are not over feeding as that will increase frequency as well and often results in soft stool.
Sabis mom is online now  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I completely understood what you were saying. Dogs, like children, often "make up" a more relaxed set of rules for the basement. It tends to be a more relaxed setting.
Frequency- he should go after each meal, adult dogs sometimes go only once but twice if they are fed twice is normal. Quality food will reduce the size and frequency and be mindful that you are not over feeding as that will increase frequency as well and often results in soft stool.
Thanks Sabis Mom, he always does seem to have loose potty, we have been adding wet food to taste as he does not like pure dry food, but I am going to go with just dry food, see how much he eats, maybe he does not need to eat that much, and that may make his stool a bit harder.
Sabis mom likes this.
ziqch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I Change the Spot for Potty Training? SergeantBucky Training Our Puppy (basic) 1 12-04-2017 10:00 PM
10 week old puppy potty training problem warrior_mom2134 Training Our Puppy (basic) 6 04-25-2014 02:03 PM
potty training issue Shai Training Our Puppy (basic) 4 02-29-2012 09:24 AM
Potty training going great but started eating litter box wood chips... wuneyewilly General Puppy Stuff 4 02-27-2012 06:20 PM
Crate training + Potty training Kaity Training Our Puppy (basic) 8 12-15-2009 04:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome