How do you even respond to poor dog owners?! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Knighted Member

My 2 cents...

There are some belligerent, repeat offenders out there, but from the sound of the OP here this sounds to me more like a person who is just clueless. For this, I would have just asked them nicely to "please give us some space".

For @LuvShepherds repeat offender I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control.

I like to periodically test my dog's obedience, so I'll open up the back of my mini van with the dog inside and walk away. The dog has been trained to stay there until released, no matter who or what walks by. That being said, I did this in a park parking lot the other day, and a lady with a smallish doodle mix of some sort came walking by with her out-of-control dog (of course on one of those retractable leash monstrosities!).

They were parked 2 spaces from my car, and my dog sat there and let them walk by no problem... The little doodle dog kept pulling toward my car though, and reading the lady I knew I'd better move back closer LOL! Sure enough, after maybe 30 seconds of strong pulling she relented and decided that having this little dog come up to MY car for a meet-and-greet would be a good thing...after all, that's what precious wanted LOL!

Fortunately I was able to body block her dog about 4 feet out...my dog didn't move. The lady was quite upset though, with me for being so rude LOL!

I tried to explain to her about possesiveness over territory (the car) but I'm pretty sure my words landed on deaf ears. Ah well, at least her dog was able to go home with his face intact, and we didn't have to spend hours explaining why her dog was so terribly disfigured

OP, try to relax and calm yourself a bit out in public...your dog will definitely pick up on and react to your frustration and tension! Clueless people just need gentle guidance, they typically mean no harm...
selzer likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

"Keep your dog away"
"Don't give your dog that much leash"
"Correct your dog for that behavior"

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
My 2 cents...

There are some belligerent, repeat offenders out there, but from the sound of the OP here this sounds to me more like a person who is just clueless. For this, I would have just asked them nicely to "please give us some space".

For @LuvShepherds repeat offender I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control.

I like to periodically test my dog's obedience, so I'll open up the back of my mini van with the dog inside and walk away. The dog has been trained to stay there until released, no matter who or what walks by. That being said, I did this in a park parking lot the other day, and a lady with a smallish doodle mix of some sort came walking by with her out-of-control dog (of course on one of those retractable leash monstrosities!).

They were parked 2 spaces from my car, and my dog sat there and let them walk by no problem... The little doodle dog kept pulling toward my car though, and reading the lady I knew I'd better move back closer LOL! Sure enough, after maybe 30 seconds of strong pulling she relented and decided that having this little dog come up to MY car for a meet-and-greet would be a good thing...after all, that's what precious wanted LOL!

Fortunately I was able to body block her dog about 4 feet out...my dog didn't move. The lady was quite upset though, with me for being so rude LOL!

I tried to explain to her about possesiveness over territory (the car) but I'm pretty sure my words landed on deaf ears. Ah well, at least her dog was able to go home with his face intact, and we didn't have to spend hours explaining why her dog was so terribly disfigured [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]

OP, try to relax and calm yourself a bit out in public...your dog will definitely pick up on and react to your frustration and tension! Clueless people just need gentle guidance, they typically mean no harm...
Unfortunately I found out from someone else that this was a repeat offender. 😑 and yikes! I find it funny how it’s almost always the small dog owners or poodles..... hahaha

And I do! I actually act too calm in situations like that which is another issue since I don’t tell someone to get control of their dog haha. I just immediately handled it without reacting so my dog wouldn’t think it was some big attack. She’s fine but now I’m pissed haha
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepowner View Post
I love that you hand them your trainers card. Maybe I’ll do that. So frustrating. I guess I need to work on being more vocal! I hate myself for not saying anything in the moment. It happened so fast and my dog is still the size I can pick her up so I just grabbed her instead of yelling.

I haven’t had a dog in five years and I’ve forgotten how awful bad dog owners can be. I feel like I’m going to scream at the next one I interact with because the frustration has been increasing fast. Yesterday we were walking on a small sidewalk with a busy street. I pulled my puppy over to let them pass. And she let the dog just run over to my puppy. The small dog was NOT friendly and she acknowledged this. We live in a busy city right now as well so I can’t avoid dog interactions. At all.
It’s best to avoid a confrontation if you don’t know how the other person would respond. Handing someone a card should not threaten them. If the person looks like someone who might respond with violence, I would ignore them and leave.

Some owners surprise you by being reasonable about their dogs.

I was accosted a few weeks ago by a neighbor’s dog. It was a breed we can’t discuss here by name. The dog was butting my leg and would not stop. Luckily I didn’t have a dog with me. I stayed calm, did not raise my voice but told the owner to get that dog away from me instantly. The owner refused to bend down to put his dog on a leash. I stood still and said, I don’t know what your problem is but control your dog. He called and the dog finally left and went inside. I told him his dog has ruined the neighborhood for everyone else with a dog. He said I’m sorry you feel that way. I thought maybe he would stop walking that dog around the area, but the next week there they were, blocks from home, dog totally out of control. I have see that dog try to attack a German Shepherd in its own yard. That other owner won’t walk her dogs anymore. It’s bad.
Definitely agree.. I’m a woman and tiny so I usually tend towards silence if I’m paranoid about personal safety.

Sigh. We have those types of dogs around as well. A lot of dog owners make me very very sad with the lack of consideration they have and lack of care for training!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 PM

We were attacked five times by neighbors dog. They had a habit of casually tying their dogs to deck ( dogs would pull loose and come hurtling at us) or simply tying them together and letting them run offleash. After attack 3, I warned them...after attack 5, I filed a report with animal control. The AC officer called me and said she had no record of these dogs...not even a rabies vaccine. Dogs are unneutered. So the fine for not vaccinating for rabies here is $200, the fee to register an unneutered dog is almost $100. And they had TWO dogs...I got a little revenge, I think...

My dog was never hurt. He is the kind of dog who would die fighting, rather than submit...every attack was met head-on, with bared teeth. Meanwhile I would be screaming and trying to drag him away up the street. Horrible experiences. Any way,..for some people, it actually takes a fine from animal control before they make a serious attempt to control their dogs.:-(

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Iím a woman and tiny so I usually tend towards silence if Iím paranoid about personal safety.
This makes me want to scream! What kind of a world is it we live in where a person, anyone, can't walk their dog without being concerned for their personal safety?! For me this is a very personal topic...

But for many people, little frustrations build up. When you "explode" finally, it can be all over the map. It's much better to learn to be "up front", honest but not condescending or too authoritative. Your dog is your dog, so letting people know your boundaries without getting angry or emotional is a good thing! And in my experience most people are pretty good about respecting that.

For those that aren't, carry pepper spray, a whistle, or even something more convincing depending on the laws in your specific area

That all being said, there are also some good classes out there that can teach you *how* to be assertive, without being condescending or confrontational...might be worth considering 😉

And in the meantime, find a buddy to walk with that you can count on to stand up...
Gregc, Sabis mom and Judy Untamed like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 AM
Crowned Member

I like less confrontation. It is up to me to protect my pup. It is not up to me to teach other people dog-owner-etiquette. So I generally will step in front of my dog and say sternly "Get Cher Dog!" if the dog is running unabated toward mine.

Otherwise, if someone is trying to control their dog, I say nothing, and maybe change my direction not to look as though we are retreating, but veering to give a little more distance if possible.

But if someone is coming toward me because their dog is friendly and they think dogs should play together, and I have to say something, I will say, "My dog is in training." It's non-confrontational. It's legit. Those of us who are training for the ring, or for anything else really, need to train around dogs, but we don't want our dogs to interact with other dogs. We don't want our dogs thinking it is play time whenever he sees other dogs.

Really, having dogs out and about while we are doing are thing is good. Our dogs need to be under control whether there is a dog or a hundred dogs around.

And the other person can believe whatever they want to about your training. They can be offended, but really it is a lot less offensive than teaching them that everyone isn't interested in interacting with their dog.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

I have zero problem being stern. If the other dog is off leash and is charging/coming in fast I spend more time gauging the situation getting ready to react and may say " get your dog" loudly but I reserve a tongue lashing for when the situation is neutralized. One time, I did engage with the negligent owners and realized after the fact I should have paid more attention to the dogs and yelled after neutralizing the situation. I was in an argument, and the dogs were exchanging phone numbers lol Had it broke bad I would have better served the situation paying attention to me dog and being ready to intervene. Once another dog is off lead and on your dog yelling at the other owner just distracts. If the dog is approaching in a meandering or being pulled by lead towards us (even if smiling and saying they want to play)way I will yell at them to control your dog.

I carry a break stick, and I made sure I read good articles on breaking up a dog fight even when you are alone. It's all you can do. Head on a swivel lol

My suburban outings are not bad. There is enough traffic and short blocks with lots of crossing where people always have their dogs leashed. It is more at parks, on hikes, and at my friend's more rural homes where it comes up.

So I don't to the park really (6 mile runs through the neighborhood and into the next town keep him quite happy). I work OB into our runs, or I'll go to Lowes for OB with distractions. On hikes I make sure I have my safety tools. If there is a place where you are constantly approached by off lead dogs, avoid it. Urban/suburban parks are NOTORIOUS for fur parents to think it's ok to let Spot run.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Quote:
I’m a woman and tiny so I usually tend towards silence if I’m paranoid about personal safety.
This makes me want to scream! What kind of a world is it we live in where a person, anyone, can't walk their dog without being concerned for their personal safety?! For me this is a very personal topic...
Yeah I hate it. last month, a tiny dog was super aggressive towards my dog while we were on a walk with friends. The owner reprimanded ME for letting my dog out in public and said “your dog can’t be like that.” My dog had just sniffed his dogs face when HIS dog off leash RAN up to my puppy. His tiny dog was aggressive and snarling and clearly wanted to fight. My pup just looked up at me like, this is funny. I walked away and loudly said, Come on girl, we only play with NICE dogs. It was passive aggressive but I didn’t say what I actually wanted to say because I was afraid he might come after me since I’m just a woman and tiny. It made me really sad to realize I didn’t reprimand him for HIS dogs behavior because I was scared for my safety.

We’re moving from this area soon luckily. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I have zero problem being stern. If the other dog is off leash and is charging/coming in fast I spend more time gauging the situation getting ready to react and may say " get your dog" loudly but I reserve a tongue lashing for when the situation is neutralized. One time, I did engage with the negligent owners and realized after the fact I should have paid more attention to the dogs and yelled after neutralizing the situation. I was in an argument, and the dogs were exchanging phone numbers lol Had it broke bad I would have better served the situation paying attention to me dog and being ready to intervene. Once another dog is off lead and on your dog yelling at the other owner just distracts. If the dog is approaching in a meandering or being pulled by lead towards us (even if smiling and saying they want to play)way I will yell at them to control your dog.

I carry a break stick, and I made sure I read good articles on breaking up a dog fight even when you are alone. It's all you can do. Head on a swivel lol

My suburban outings are not bad. There is enough traffic and short blocks with lots of crossing where people always have their dogs leashed. It is more at parks, on hikes, and at my friend's more rural homes where it comes up.

So I don't to the park really (6 mile runs through the neighborhood and into the next town keep him quite happy). I work OB into our runs, or I'll go to Lowes for OB with distractions. On hikes I make sure I have my safety tools. If there is a place where you are constantly approached by off lead dogs, avoid it. Urban/suburban parks are NOTORIOUS for fur parents to think it's ok to let Spot run.
Going to have to google a break stick! I completely agree with fixing the situation first. In the moment, my first instinct was to fix with the dogs first. And then I was speechless that someone would let their dog behave so poorly. Guess I should get used to it! 😕
CometDog likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Hmm. For the situation with the OP, I'd probably have said "Can you stop following us and give us some space, please?" Just sounds like a dumb, clueless person. There are lots of dumb, clueless people, including myself from time to time. So, I'm not going to get confrontational unless they're so incredibly dense they do not understand simple directions--then I'll get annoyed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page