Somber day and can't sleep - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you @GSDchoice! With your explanation, I'm understanding it better. Her Dr did say it originated from a muscle so that much I knew. Is there anything in a pedigree that would indicate something like this has occurred? I'm thinking no, other than a breeder being honest if questioned. Then again, would anyone even ask unless they had experienced this with a pup.

Health will be my #1 priority with my next girl. And I'm not the least bit hesitant to discuss my concerns about this with the breeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM

I think your odds of getting two dogs that get this condition, would be like getting hit by lightning twice!

It's a rare kind of tumor - although a variant of it ("uterine fibroids") is more commonly seen in young human women...it doesn't seem to be common at all in dogs!

But yes, need to be careful about other health conditions that GSDs can get, so do good research into your breeder and his dogs...

Again, so sorry about your Marley. :-((

But you did all the right things.
Here are little bits taken out of a medical article that may make you feel better about having chosen to operate:

"Early diagnosis and prompt treatment of the tumor generally yields better outcomes than a late diagnosis and delayed treatment"

"individuals with overall excellent health have better prognosis compared with those with poor health"

"Age of the individual: Younger individuals have a better prognosis than older individuals"

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts as well as everyone else's that participated in the discussion of this tragic event. I honestly feel that I made the right choice and every bit of info, like what you just posted, confirms that I did.

Interesting enough...her surgical Dr just called to see how I was doing. That was very thoughtful of her and continues to show me that Marley was in the best place possible for treatment.

However, there is some new news. Evidently the hospital doesn't take matters like this lightly. Unbeknown to me, they sent out the entire mass that was removed for further testing. While the previous biopsy came back benign, the latest testing of the entire mass showed it to be malignant. That made me sit up straight for sure! I knew that just due to the size of the mass alone could result in being fatal for her, but being malignant confirms it. I am so glad I made the decision that I did as without a doubt she would have had serious problems eventually. And knowing she didn't suffer from it yet puts my mind at ease.

We also discussed my thoughts about had I had her spayed at 6 mos instead of 9, would the mass have been smaller and less risk for removal. She said anything is possible, but there was a significant chance that if it was smaller, it may not even have been seen by my local vet when she was going to spay her. WHEW!!...never even thought of that. It must be the optimism in me that failed to recognize that possibility.

One final note...she also told me that there is not a lot of experience(?) with something like this due to its rarity and lack of funding for research. But with the results from all the testing from Marley, they may very well aid in saving someones pet in the future. Knowing that Marley did not die in vain actually put a smile on my face if anyone can truly understand what I mean.

So all in all, this was the best I could have done for Marley...RIP my sweet and precious girl. And yes I am finally at peace with the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in