My GSD puppy, Aslan - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My GSD puppy, Aslan

Hello everyone,
Im new to the world of GSD ownership. I bought my GSD from a buddy I was in the military with for $350.00. The pup overall seems healthy, but he doesn't seem to be putting on any weight. I talked to a vet and they recommended changing his food to a large breed puppy food. I was orginally feeding him the food my other dog (pit bull) ate. I contacted the breeder and they sent me a photo of another dog that was born the same time as mine. My pup is significantly smaller. Its very worrisome because I don't want anything to be wrong with the pup. I have a vet appointment set up for next week. Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_181822_1543688736861.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	514899  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

He looks very much underweight and unwell. How much are you feeding him and how often? Are you crating him when you feed him to ensure other pets aren't eating his food or intimidating him away from eating?
Atreu likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Master Member

How old is your pup? Has he been wormed? Not a great pic, but he doesn't look like a healthy pup, his face looks very thin. I think a full vet check is a good idea.
Atreu likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Hey guys thanks for the response. According to the paperwork I was given, he was born july 14th, so he should be 20 weeks. He has been wormed and I have another vet visit on Thursday. He is fed in the crate by himself. I have been feeding him 3 cups of puppy food, 3 times a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_181627~2_1543690041731.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	514901  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

Second photo is much better. However he looks 8 weeks, tops!
Atreu likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Thanks! I agree, he looks much younger than what the breeder told me. He is super playful and energetic! It just make me worry because of the weight
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:40 PM

You might want to bag up a fresh stool specimen and take it with you on your next vet's visit and have it tested. I paid a lot more for my pup, who came from a breeder who gave me records of multiple rounds of worming. When I had my vet test her feces, the results indicated she had roundworms, tapeworms and giardia.

I understand that puppies are susceptible to parasites. Just because they were treated for something a month or two ago doesn't mean they haven't reacquired a parasite or perhaps a prior treatment wasn't successful.

My pup was born on 7-15-18. She was presented as being from an ex-large line of GSD's, so she may be growing more rapidly than some puppies. She weighed in at 40 lbs., approx. 1 week ago.

I know there are a lot of different opinions on type of food. I've been feeding my pup Royal Canin's German Shepherd Puppy Chow. I mix in a protein, such as some freshly cooked poultry or meat. My pup usually gets around a heaping cup - 3 x a day. For some meals, if she seems extra hungry, I give her an extra serving. I, also, give her a daily joint supplement.

PS: Did you meet both the parents? Are they both papered GSD's?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 PM

If you didnít do the worming yourself, I would go ahead and do so. I got my pup at nine weeks old and was told they were wormed, but the following weeks he just never really blossomed and seemed thin around the waist. So I went ahead and bought a non prescription wormer I believe it was sentry, and the next day I saw large, disgusting worms in his stool. It was thirty bucks and I had enough tablets to also worm my other two dogs, with a couple left over.

He almost immediately began gaining weight and taking shape, puppies are much more suspceptible and Iíve wormed him once more since then.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

It might be just a trick of the light in that last picture but does he also have skin irritation in his ear?

my vote is definitely vet ASAP with fecal.

Does he have fleas? I think that's how they get tapeworm. And not all dewormers get tapeworms.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Joshua,

We removed your duplicate account (Joshua Gordon), as we only allow one account per person. You can continue to post under your @Jgordon1990 account.

- Admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page